Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through April 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can someone explain to me again how to post a long web address, but the only thing that appears on here is "click here"

This link explains how to format links
click here

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D.F.D. The Fund has issued a new history book.
Updated. Many photos past and present.
Good personnel photos also.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony: Can you post a link to where folks can buy it?

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 372
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nainrouge
Thanks! Sometimes I want to post something, but the address is 8 pages long.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people use tinyurl (www.tinyurl.com)

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher : The book can be ordered from the Fund. Detroit Firemen's Fund Association
250 W. Larned Suite 202
Detroit,Mi. 48226
Phone (313) 961-2988
From me at B42PemSta@aol.com.
I will have copies of the book for review
at E.42 / L.21 on Saturday 4/19 /08
from 10:00 till 14:00.

Dfd

Post Number: 373
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

video
Could it be that I did it!? Thanks for the help folks.
Anyway, I bet you guys on the job are ready for some warm weather.

Dfd

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the firehouse on Michigan at Military being rehabbed?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D. F . D : E. 22's quarters was idle last time I drove past. I don't think so. I will check.
Birwood : Do you know anything about Dearborn Fire issuing a history book ? TONY

Dfd

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tony,
Hey everyone, let's remember the families of the 2 firefighters killed at a fire in Colerain Township near Cincinnati yesterday.

LODD

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D.F.D : Detroit Firefighters Local 344 is attempting to buy E.22 for an office.
Does any one have pictures of L.Co.4 quarters at Michigan and 20th. ? How about an engine house on Scotten ?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony: Try the detroitfirefighters.net website. Bill Eisner has a photo page but I haven't looked at it in a while. He might be the go-to man for photos.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Teach. This is long before Bill's time.
I may have to contact Matt Brady's relations.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Matt Brady apprenticed under Bill.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd: Hope Bill doesn't read your post.
No photos at your retirement party if he does. Did L.31 get a new truck ?

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may have posted this picture before, can't remember. But this is Company 57 and I have a little story of it, my bedroom was across the street. Very, very busy firehouse back in the days. For some years they used a big lime green firetruck. What was ever up with that I still don't know (perhaps if I read more I could find out here - but I write) Anyways, those firemen were super-cool, they'd let ya come in during the day. Or wait... actually, we would "sneek" in when none of them were around - they were probably sleeping and/or relaxing upstairs in their quarters. Washing their glorious machine on a Saturday would be almost an all day affair, and more time than not, interrupted by many calls.

Few years back, took my daughter, walked inside, asked one the men if he'd show us around. And he did. Amazing. Took me upstairs and opened the door of this sort of "closet" where their firesuits hung and their boots lay on the wood-slab floor. You could smell nothing but charred, burned wood, and it was extremely strong, so much so that you would think there was actually a fire in there.

Now it operates, get this, "part time". Yeah... right. It (the fire station) is not nearly as busy as it used to be.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores : Lime Green replaced Red for a while.
It was supposed to be more light reflective and thus safer.Balony. D.F.D went back to RED. 57's has a new RED Pierce Engine.
Not as busy as the old days when Brightmoore burned nightly. 57's still earn thier pay.

Ggores

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you, tb42. after posting I actually DID read the thread and found my coloring inaccurate. too funny. And yes, they are back to red. I dropped by just a few months ago and talked with a saxophonist playing at the backyard picnic table. \m/

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you didn't put money in his helmet.
He's a great firefighter but a lousy sax player.
That would just encourage him to play more.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to believe, but that smokey smell is always a relief to me...a good smell. It meant my dad was home safe. I remember the trips to the "house" and the guys all welcoming us, usually with a cold soda or ice cream. They never denied us watching them slide down the pole or a letting us have a quick turn on of the lights and siren. A kid couldn't ask for anything more back in those days.

Dfd

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores,
Thanks for the photo it's like we're driving down the street past the firehouse.
Tony, what is Brightmoore?

Dfd

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to make post # 1000!
By the way DT. How is dad and do you have any more firebrat stories?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad is doing great. I have tons of stories but none that I'd want to post on an internet forum...mostly about growing up in a neighborhood of firemen and having too many dads (I could get away with NOTHING) A few of silly things dad's done that we still laugh about...things like that.

I do have one I'll share here. One day dad brought home this scrawny dog. He had been the firehouse dog for a bit, just wandered in one day and the guys let him stay. When the city did away with letting dogs live in the stations, dad brought him home to us (much to mom's dismay). The dog smiled so the guys named him Smiley (although dad called him everything BUT Smiley). That dog was the BEST dog ever. He was a Benji type dog but was black and white. He loved to eat jelly doughnuts (I guess that is from the continuous jelly doughnuts given him at breakfast at the station). That dog was so protective of us that when dad picked us up to throw us in the pool and we screamed, that dog would go after dad. I guess he came to live with us because the guys didn't have the heart to send him back on the streets or take him to the pound...and dad has a soft spot for animals, no matter what he says :-) Many a kid got a dog because the city didn't want them in the station houses anymore. Many dogs showed up in our neighborhood about the same time. A fond memory, indeed.

Ggores

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

having witnessed flames blaring from the sky nightly while walking home at midnight (scary for a kid in 1983) and having just recently spent a couple years holed up in a place on the jeffries service drive - a.k.a. schoolcraft - yes, them firemen do earn they pay every day. one day i heard what sounded like a dying cat squealing from blocks away and it was a DFD saxophonist! so, to respond to a previous remark, heh heh, dropping a buck or two in his hat was the last thing on my mind. but a personal hero all the same.

Dfd

Post Number: 379
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pictures from the funeral in Cincinnati last week. Thanks again to the DFD firefighters that came down to the funeral.

http://www.youngstownfire.com/ forums/index.php/topic,7809.0/ prev_next,prev.html#new

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D.F.D. Brightmoore is a section of the city on
Northwest side.Fenkell Telegraph area.
Houses built on slabs or crawl spaces.
Single story "Shotgun Houses ". We
called them "Walk Throughs ".
Firefighter would take an 1" 1/2
in the front door down the hall
out the back door turn around and
walk through again.Burned hot and fast.
Looked fantastic. Soon as water hit the
show was over.I remember one where the
back porch and step were removed.The
firefighter fell flat.Wasn't funny to
him.
Ffdfd : Still waiting for an answer. Did 31
get one of the new trucks ?
Birwood : Any news on the Dearborn Fire Book ?
Ggores : Thanks for not putting money in the
helmet. Loved the cat story. I know
it is true. I've heard him "play".

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a work in progress- here's my latest images of Detroit Firehouses.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j ustbeamensch/sets/721576040680 68111/

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080422/M ETRO/804220377

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ffdfd : Still waiting for an answer. Did 31
get one of the new trucks ?

Not sure which companies are getting the (four?) new trucks. I don't think they've gone into the field yet. I'm pretty sure the academy is giving school on them still.

Dfd

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maddog, that is a good video and article! "After enough hours of staring into it, these men will tell you, it starts to appear normal. Average. Everyday."
Pythonmaster, thanks for the pictures. I especially like the one where you can see inside the firehouse.