Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 610
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Humble is good! Thanks for inviting us all to stay in your house trailer right in Kinde for the Polka Fest. We would be happy to crash at your place. Sorry you can't join us. I'll take some video for you. Again, please leave us the wi-fi codes.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you mean the lighthouse, it's 1 mile.

Can't imagine any of you would want to travel all the way up here without experiencing my wit and wisdom in person.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, I mean the lighthouse. I guess if your inviting all of us to come up before the Kinde fest, that's fine, too.

Eastburn

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on up!

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a plan - we're in!

Eastburn

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of wireless codes. We ain't got no stinkin' wireless here. I have to drive down to Bad Axe in my old pick-up, sit in the Franklin Inn parking lot with my laptop & steal their signal just to communicate with ya'll. Now that's commitment.
Speedboat? Jetskis? (Polish watercraft) I do have a 30 year old 14' aluminum rowboat - new oars, tho.

7andkelly

Post Number: 612
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: It's more important who you are and where you're going, than what you have and where you've been.

And try not to brag. So, you got new oars. Some of us have no boat at all, let alone new oars!

Thanks again for the invite, and we hope to see you down here for the game and the eats. If you're travelling by boat and need a ride from a Lake St. Clair or Detroit River dock, let me know.

Eastburn

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an awful long trip by row boat but I'll do my best.

Eastburn

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been thinking about the class pictures from the walls of the school.

Do you think that if we formed an alumni association we might be able to get custody of some of the memorabilia?

7andkelly

Post Number: 613
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is the school office still has them in storage along with our permanent records. The class picture display would have been removed in deference to St. Raymond's and/or any other school they might have merged with. Same with the new logo on the wall on the gym stage.

My next guess is they're in the parish office.

Eastburn

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure would like to get a hold of my own records - before they fall into the wrong hands.

Jcole

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They might be at the Arch Diocese. When I checked about Baptismal records, it said that if your church was still open to contact the church, if not, contact the Arch Diocese, so my assumption is it's the same with school stuff.

7andkelly

Post Number: 614
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back from watching a pathetic display at COPA. I would be seething with anger, but the fireworks display was nice.

The number one culprit for the loss is Leland. "The old man is nuts". He seems to either lack the capacity to adjust or the awareness of when it's necessary.

Number two is Guillen. He's not a good third baseman. It showed today, and it hurt us.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 555
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7- My condolences on the stinker, looks like the Seattle series was an aberration. You probably would have been seething more if you saw it at home though. Apparently everyone on the bench thought Thames' base running gaffe was very funny, despite the fact it cost them tying the game at that point. I failed to see the humor myself, but then again I don't have a guaranteed contract.

7andkelly

Post Number: 615
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From our terrace view in row f sec 139 we could not see inside our dugout or the players' reactions. Up in the stands, no one thought is was funny.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andKelly: Fantastic job on all the video documentation in facebook. It looks like every nook and crany of SJ school was covered. It will be THE video in years to come when one wants to take a trip down memory lane. It appears that the "mysterious" tunnel is not so mysterious anymore. Thanks again for all your talented effort.

7andkelly

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks K, but if I can slap together digital 8 home video clips, anyone can. You've got the real artistic gift of talent behind the lens. BTW, what kind of camera(s) do you use?

And if you're saying "Nana's Kitchen in Wyandotte has the best gyro, yes even better than the Golden Fleece in Greektown", then I've got to try that. Maybe we can make this one our eats spots when we all get together.

Jcole

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just watching the videos, and had a sudden flash of clapping erasers outside Room 100 in the courtyard, and for a minute, I saw the yellow and white chalk dust all over the bricks.
Got in trouble for clapping them on the bricks instead of each other.

7andkelly

Post Number: 617
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did that once on the brick wall off Rex. Apparently, that embarrassed the school.

Jcole

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I just embarassed the school in general.

Jcole

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, did you get emails about the comments I made on the videos. I didn't get the ones that you posted yesterday, or sent or whatever it is, so I'm just wondering if there is a problem with the site

Kellyroad

Post Number: 528
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erasing the blackboard and clapping the erasers clean was a privilege and meant for the good students. See, all us slackers weren't slackers after all.

7K: I use a Nikon D70 (now a dinosaur) a great lens and very good sensor in low light. However, the quality of the pictures is limited by the number of bytes allowed on Discuss Detroit. I prefer enlarging the picture and limiting the number of megapixels...still decent quality. May of the old photos are from my dad's Kodachrome slides...those pictures keep their brilliance for several decades...there is some reduction in quality after scanning and reducing the megapixel size for this forum but not much.
Your digital video recorder did a great job in adjusting light. It would be fantastic, IMHO, if the old class pictures could be video recorded (slowly panned with the tunes from the era dubbed in) with some old stills from the 40s and 50s added (PBS style) and yes 7K, you could do the narration. I see a video documentary with a photo book package available for any contributor to the ST. Jude nostalgia fund...."Our operators are waiting for your pledge"

Regarding Nana's Kitchen: All are welcome to Downriver: Interestingly, very few folks from the northeast side migrate downriver. It seems the migration pattern is toward the East or Northern suburbs or out of state. Wyandotte and my hometown of Riverview have their own history and culture. Many folks from the area have been born and raised downriver and their families have been here for generations....another topic of sociological observation. There are a couple of parishes close by that have been around for more than 175 years (Sacred Heart on Gross Ile, and St. Joseph in Trenton)....still SJ, in my heart, trumps in grandeur (yes I'm a homer) When someone around here says there from the eastside it's like a homecoming. I work with a woman who graduated from Regina in 75. I was shocked when I first heard that.

BTW, Although Nana has great gyros. You can't beat the Golden Fleece for ambiance, especially during late hours...leave all that pretentious stuff behind.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 24, 2008)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure you have fresh batteries in the remote tonight sportsfans

Jcole

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, do you know any of the Cole's in Riverview? I've got some cousins there, I think.
My dad was raised in Wyandotte, and I spent every 4th Sunday on Cherry St. when I was growing up. He went to St. Pat's.

Eastburn

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great videos! Brought up memories & questions.

Wasn't 107 much smaller than all the other classrooms? In 3rd grade we were in a small room & I think it may have been 107. The desks were the most ancient in the school. 2 kids to a desk. They were a double size of the other old desks that had fold-down seats and just a shelf under the desktop for books. The benches & desks were bolted together along wooden strips to hold them together.

Another question: apparently there was an addition to the school(60's????). Seems that in my time the room numbers only went to 120. Our 8th grade class used 118, 119 & 120.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 529
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: the name Jerry (or Gerald??)Cole is familiar, maybe associated with the school system years ago (although my kids went to Catholic schools). I went to St. Pats church when I lived in Wyandotte in the late 70s early 80s...beautiful old style church. Cherry st. and all the tree streets are in the south part of Wyandotte... know it real well

Z; I'll be channel flipping on the radio at work tonight. Got to get some Blaha though..."He lays it up, lays it in, COUNT THAT BABY AND A FOUL"!

Jcole

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, that was my cousin, Jerry Cole. He had brothers TJ, Larry and Danny. Jerry, TJ and Larry all stuck around the Wyandotte/Trenton/Riverview area. Danny was a Catholic deacon at St. Lucy's and a couple other churches in St. Clair Shores.

Jcole

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just over on the Amusement park thread, and it reminded me of something.
Didn't St. Jude have an annual church picnic, and it was sometimes on Bob-Lo?

7andkelly

Post Number: 618
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, I added the Part III and basement tapes videos yesterday afternoon shortly before leaving for the game, but I did get notices this morning, and posted responses directly to the FB under yours. I don't know if those generate emails.

DY and FB both have their quirks. I've lost a few posts in DY where I typed it out and lost it trying to send. Clicking back just left me empty. FB allows login from multiple PCs at once, but kills the connection on the previous PC, which, if you were 30 minutes in loading video, is not good.

But between rooms 118 and 120 there were two rooms, both adjacent to the Madellin side foyer. Maybe one of those was the old library. And of course, what was the other one?

7andkelly

Post Number: 619
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K, Watched the ice flows down the Detroit River from Bishop Park in Wyandotte one Spring day. If you stand at the waters edge it feels like you're on a boat. There was a hip bar nearby over on Biddle. The name escapes me. I was circa 1980s.