Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Archive through May 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES,GB: My History, by OD.

To the best of my knowledge I’ve never been shot at or chased by any girl’s father. I just led an average life with a capital ‘A’. After a couple abortive attempts deciding on a career in college I finally stumbled onto one in the last semester of my senior year. But since I couldn’t afford to retire I had to embark on my second choice, Information Technology (or Data Processing as we called it in those days). My working life was divided almost equally between GM, OU and EDS. I would say the time I spent at OU was personally the most fulfilling. Most things in this life are only useful as a means to another end. Education, I believe, is one of the few things with intrinsic value even if you never do anything else with it. My work at GM and EDS may have contributed to building better cars or improving business effectiveness and efficiency. But at OU it contributed to educating students. Even though I never taught a class there, without the systems I supported the instructors would not have be able to do their jobs. So I guess that might qualify me as a second tier educator.

Some (GB) have problems with authority. I’ve never had a problem saying “yes sir, no sir”, then doing what I’m told and grumbling about it in silence. My issues came as I moved up the organization and had to publicly support company policies or decisions which I personally disagreed with. I wasn’t very good at that, and it probably hurt my career advancement. But at least I was able to salvage some small bit of my integrity so in the end I think I came out ahead.

So that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it until I come up with a better one.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I am glad that you are on-board ... Just remember that you, Renee Morris and I all lived on Mapleridge and it was GB who lived way way way over on Fordham - way over west of Hayes. And remember that GB and the Westside bus driver had some type of interesting relationship while they attended WMU ... so his judgment is tainted and in fact sad and misguided...

ES 61 Proudly, welcoming OD back to Mapleridge

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Are you saying I have to make a choice between my good Mapleridge buddy and my bad Troop 706 buddy? That’s like asking GB to choose between Tango and Sandy.

But I can be bought, so let the bidding begin.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Euro's - Canadian Dollars .... ??? Remember that Tango and GB are very very close - so the bidding might already be over
ES 61 Proudly, Once again Backing my Mapleridge Friends.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Loonies seem appropriate considering the bidders.... Tango or Sandy? Which one would you rather have roll over on you?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: GB wanted to be a vet ... No NO...not in the army! so I think that he would choose Tango and a fist full of dollars

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No bids from GB yet. Maybe he's gone back to Fordham where they don't have Internet access to reminisce over his younger days and pick up a few stray pit bulls for his vet practice. Be sure to post your pics GB.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I have a buddy in the AZ Air Nat. Guard...he flies C-130's and will be making a training flight to the Detroit area in the next week or so...he'll do his best to drop the 10 tons of horse manure in/on your backyard and not on your roof...you'll have the best lawn in the burb!

Or...I can ask him not to...your call.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Don't YOU EVER Threaten a Mapleridge Mob Member ... They are still shoveling out all the shit you spread back in the day from the eastside Fordham days......Maybe the C-130 should just circle AA and dump it in the middle of Bananahead Stadium..... so that rock pile will show a little green!

Goblue

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My friend...you judge me harshly...I would NEVER threaten a fellow eastsider...I was simply making an offer OD couldn't refuse. As for you, I would use caution if I were you...you don't want to wake up some morning with a bloody goat head in bed with you...come, let us reason together!

GB Proudly with friends from countries on the Mediterranean...and lessons learned on the Eastside.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Sorry Godfather! Greta and (My) Violet want to continue to have their own stalls in the barn ...

ES 61 Proudly, Supporting the Fordham Farming Project

Goblue

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I understand...I'll tell the boys to leave 'em alone.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: The boys like DeMercurio, Dinofrio, Spagnolo, La Rosa, Grimaldi, DiPuccio and liccovoli and about 50 others that all lived in the neighborhood I am surprised that SE 59 hasn't yet slept with a Horse Head....

Goblue

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: A horse is about all that would sleep with SE59...a desperate horse...and he'd be safer to put it in a pencil sharpener!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Thanks for your generous offer. I know it’s very hard for you to part with your manure knowing how much you treasure it. Unfortunately with Donna’s allergies we have to stick to the non-fragrant fertilizers. But maybe you could mix in some Quickrete to harden it up enough to fill in some of that slope by your front door.

Did you see Big Brown today? I’m no expert, but even to an amateur he looks like quite a horse. I’m seeing a good chance for a Triple Crown.

Goblue

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Didn't see the race...but read about it. Big Brown is an awesome animal. I do hate to see them racing three year olds though. They start training them hard as two year olds...well before their joints and bones are fully developed...the muscles then are stronger than the bones/joints...which is why Eight Belles...and Barbaro broke down...it'll keep happening as long as they race/train them this young. I've worried some about Tango because he was trained for the show ring as a two year old by a rider who had to weigh 250 lbs...but, he seems to be okay...he's nine now.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if the breeding had anything to do with the frequency of breakdowns. Are they sacrificing strength to get more speed? ... You should have seen the race. Brown won going away and wasn't even breathing hard at the end. I don't normally watch horse racing, just the Triple Crown events. My grandmother on my father's side was the racing fan. She would go to the races at the LA County Fairgrounds every week. And she always came home a winner. By her definition, anything she had left in her purse at the end of the day was winnings.

Goblue

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: No question that breeding practices are contributing to the incidents of broken legs...sadly, the horses are highly expendable. What happens at the cheap tracks is beyond disgusting...a couple of years ago out here they found a half dozen dead thoroughbreds in the forest...the jerk owner had just put a bullet in their heads and left them for the scavengers. Rodeo is even worse...it's nothing more than legal animal abuse. A big piece of the problem is due to the well-meaning fools who were able to ban horse slaughter in this country...now there is no place for a horse that can no longer go on...whose only value is for dog food...so they get dumped...its a problem out here with people just turning old horses loose on open range. 75% of Arizona is federal, state, or reservation land.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I went to a couple rodeos at the State Fair grounds a long time ago. The last time they broke a calf's leg during the calf roping. The poor thing was trying to get out of the ring on three legs while one of the cowboys was puling its hind end up by the tail. Last time I ever went to one. I won't even watch them on television.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/OD: TAngo just called on his cell phone from the paddock. He heard the WORDS Lepage ... and Elmers White Glue and might be heading to CA to visit with his uncle Eastside 61 ... Since we do not use those words in the BAY AREA....

ES61 Proudly just using the word Paste ...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You sure you weren't talking to Mr. Ed? GB would rather go to the glue factory himself than sacrifice his beloved Tango.... Although I do remember him mentioning something about Cinnamon glue one night when Mrs. GB banished him to the barn. Does glue come in flavors?

Goblue

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: Ya'll are both sicker than pig shit! Tango is a nine year old registered Rocky Mt. Horse...while a royal pain in the ass at times because he is so independent...he is a really fine horse. Cinnamon is a twenty three year old Tennessee Walking Horse...SMc-T's first horse...I won't tell her than ya'll mentioned glue or she's apt to come lookin' fer both of ya with a .357...I'll swear I never heard of either one of ya.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Why are you mad at me? I defended Tango. Although it seems all you ever talk about are Tango and Cinnamon. I bet poor Diego feels left out.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Diego is the illegal who lives with them ... hush!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand. It's best el Don not know what goes on with Diego and the la Doña when he's gone on his little trips.

Goblue

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/ES: Well...I saw the word glue and got a little touchy...nothin' like the queen of the house would get though if you mention glue about Cinnamon. Actually, Diego del Sol is the boss hoss...he rules the pasture with a benign but firm set of teeth...or when necessary a swift kick...but he recognizes SMcC-T as alpha and actually adores her...he's always got his head on her shoulder slobbering away. Sort of like OD used to do with Sharon Donahue in the eighth grade.

(Message edited by GoBlue on May 19, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I guess yah still gotta watch what yah say out on the frontier, eh?

Me on Sharon Donahue? I wish.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Tell us more about OD ... What about Roseanne M and Peggy G who lived down the street from romeo OD????

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My heart belonged to Sharon, and she didn't even know I existed. I would have slobbered at her feet if she would let me.... You couldn't do that with hairy Renee though because it would have matted the hair. BTW I think I found her...

http://www.xanga.com/where_sha wtee_at/113127658/item.html

She mentions your son. Feel free to leave her a comment.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You old guys did like sharon the older as she was known ... in regards to Renee the fox as she was known to us the web page you listed took me to some accordion dance class at Oakland university and it had a pic of JC .... not sure why ???? In other news do you remember the Bolen family that lived on the other side of Mapleridge from you about three doors down from Columbus....?????

Remember to buy more glue the next time you are at the store ... it will keep Gb's horses on edge .....