Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through May 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 510
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: It is nice to see shade trees although many need to have lower branches trimmed. Trees make all the difference in the ambiance of a neighborhood.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Hope you had a really fast car and a high speed lense.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all: What about Crook cigars - Soaked in rum and dipped in wine ... smoked a few of those over the years ... I just got over the cough from them about 2 months ago..... I think that GB smoked them with ST's little brother under the famous blue spruce on Farmbrook.... remember ! he denies everything but it is true ...

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 986
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, I used to smoke those in between bouts with trying to quit smoking cigarettes. I loved the cherry crooks, and the little White Owl cigars that were brandy soaked.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: It was the taste of Crooks...that made them interesting ... but I quit smoking them after MSU and when I started teaching biology at Southeastern .... When we all meet at the book signing festivities lets get some crooks and have one more for good times....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: When ES got to SE his students provided him with a much better blend than Crooks. In the spirit of interracial relationships he tried to get it on with little White Owl for awhile, but she wouldn't have anything to do with him.

(Message edited by olddetroiter on May 20, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It occurred to me that some of you might not be aware of the background on ES’s fling with little White Owl. It began during his early days by the Bay. When a few of his hippie friends said they were leaving to study under the Indian gurus, he though they meant Navajo. It was during his time on the reservation that he tried putting the moves on little White Owl. He cut his studies short though when he discovered the Great Spirit was not a new kind of beverage.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: After a Jan graduation from DHS I NEVER went to school again ... or smoked any cigars .....its been a great ride ever since....and being a follower of Father Bananahead I learned that enhancing stories and memories is actually the 6th and 9th commandments of his religious beliefs....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Navajo thought so much of ES that they gave him an Indian name… “Running Bare” because he would run through the camp naked like he used to do at Haight-Ashbury. They even developed a chant about him and little White Owl. It went something like this….

On the bank of the river
Stood Running Bare
Young hippie knave.
On the other side of the river
Little White Owl ran away.

Then there were some other words which I forget until it gets to the chorus…

Running Bare loved Little White Owl
With a love big as the sky
Running Bare loved Little White Owl
With a love that couldn't die

Eastside61

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I related better to Joe South's "Walk a Mile in MY Shoes" ....

or Try to walk the mile between Gratiot and Kelly using Fordham and survive .... day or night ...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Anyone who tries to walk Fordham must be nuts. Run as fast as your feet will go.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: when the book is published we will need to walk the various neighborhoods for photo opts ... with our great leader Father BHead we will be safe ... and people will come out of their homes and shoot their shotguns and handguns in the air as we walk ...
we better not do this on Halloween - devils night is not a good night for Doctor GB ... maybe Tango can be the leader of the group ...

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 585
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, how long have you been gone? Gratiot is repaved now. New homes are filling in the vacant lots. Come on back and join the renaissance. Those google satellite shots are out of date. Worst case, you could buy your old stone front mansion back. And don't worry about the illegal addition. The statue of limitations has passed. The worst they would do is make you redo it. Hopefully, the Carter's electric mower is still in the garage. With that and the close proximity of the DSR bus route you won't spend another dime on gasoline. You can sell your cars in Arizona, and use the money to buy the house. And you'll have extra money to buy ground round lunches and beer at Dunn Inn (used to be Jay's Paper Station, used to be The Paper Station, used to be Star Bar, used to be Chatham Inn).

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: All that assumes you have any money left after paying the Detroit income and property taxes.

7andkelly

Post Number: 586
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, I don't think Detroit taxes social security or retirement income, include IRAs and 401Ks. And the basis brings the property tax to negligible levels.

Next.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside Venture Capitalist: GB and I have decided that we will be returning to buy all the homes below Jeff between Ashland and Lakewood all the way to the river. Much of that area will be used for housing GB 's horses and we can all sit down by the river and discuss STUFF...and smoke Crooks and spray aqua net on each other and even watch WMU football games - MSU Hockey games and go to Tiger games.......and sell books when we get bored...

SOunds good to me and I will never forget Eastwood or Mapleridge -

7andkelly

Post Number: 587
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sound feasible, actually! Count me in. We'll treat it all as a business so we can write it all off. And it's all part of the empowerment zone, so I think that means the government has to pay us.

Jcole

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll have to put out some good money in that area. There are a bunch of new homes and condos , as well as 3 or 4 riverfront parks. It would be a pity to have to pay to have them all torn down just so you can feed the horses. I guess you could plant the parks to oats, though

7andkelly

Post Number: 588
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: You will appreciate the use of a particular word in this next sentence:

A couple of parks will do just fine for their horses. I just need some more space for my little poodle to run...unfettered.

Jcole

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, does that mean the poodle is going to break in?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: at midnight you came up with a creative way to use the word unfettered. good for you (and your dog)
JC: I've always thought of unfettered as free of restraint. What connotation are you referring to?

7andkelly

Post Number: 589
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J/K, "connot" is the operative word!

But he's pretty small so he probably could. Most of the time if he's outside, he's fettered.

Jcole

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what a fetter is. It's a chain or tie. Hence, unfettered=unchained/untied=fr ee

I am referring back to the SJS thread where 7 said he wanted unfettered access to the school, and I asked if he were going to break in (to get totally free access.)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re cigarette machines - when the price in the machine went up from .30 it was felt that the market wouldn't bear an increase to .35 so the vendors taped 3 pennies to the bottom of the pack or tucked them in the cellophane bringing the price to .32.

7andkelly

Post Number: 591
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Has the Memorial Day rush begun?

Jcole

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, we usually see the beginning of the rush coming through Almont on Thursday night. You can't make a left hand turn onto Van Dyke from around 3pm Thurs. til Sat. afternoon and then you can't make a right from Sunday night until Tuesday morning. So, I have to go out and do my stuff today and then stay put until next week.

7andkelly

Post Number: 593
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you see that kind of traffic during the off season, you either need to join them, or move into your shelter.

Jcole

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this starts this week and continues on through the summer. That's only the holiday schedule. Normal weekends are usually bad Friday night until Sunday night, with a break on Sat. evening.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: I know you know...just yanking your chain (lol):-)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As JC says, they start showing up Thursday evening. Some of my neighbors who have cottages here have been up on weekends the last few weeks getting ready. It's a little crazier over toward Caseville. Port Austin is busy and we, being a little east of PA stay pretty calm. No outsiders, just cottage folk. Gets real quite in the winter when we only have 2 other couples in the neighborhood.