Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through May 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: The best times were Student Teaching (Finney High School) for me ... Student teaching was an all day / 12 week assignment which was really cool ... and then SE until 1970 were Good - Interesting - Odd at times and a wealth of experiences.....

ES61 Proudly, Supporting my Elem Ed Friends

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I did my student teaching in the sixth grade at Pershing Elementary in Portage, MI...burb of Kzoo. It was a good time...shared the drive with BS...she was the one I shoulda...we still exchange Christmas cards...its been a 50 year friendship.

GB Proudly supporting my MSU Psych friends.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Was it an all day - semester experience? My master teacher who was totally excellent - after two days had me take over part of his schedule and he left the room - he was very good and I found that his help and insight was really great ... Eventually did the SE thing and kept in touch with him but unfortunately moving to CA - there was a loss of contact....

ES61 Proudly, Supporting those who helped me!

Goblue

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My recollection is that it was an all day thing...three days a week (except when BS and I would cut to spend the day drinking beer, etc.)...I had about the same experience...my master teacher, Lee Fassett (he might have been 5 years older than I was), left me alone after a period...would sit in and make suggestions from time to time. I ran into him years later when I was in the central office at Gull Lake...he'd just made principal. He was amazed and proud. Then, with my travels, we lost contact.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: it is funny the similar experiences ... and I could kick myself for the lack of contact ... after moving to CA. Stupid to be candid about it ...

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: This is going to bug me until I find it. It happened some time between 1940 and 1964. That dumb Al Gore. Why did it take him so long to invent the internet.

Goblue

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Well...I read that he was working on it around the turn of the 20th Century but that Bush turned up the thermostat about that time and his focus turned to global warming...damn that George Bush! lolol

ES: Yeah, one of those things that I regret letting slide...have thought about looking for him on the net...I doubt that he would have traveled far.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K/GB: it is going to be in the 90's today in the Bay Area ... does that mean that Al is Right???? Still no humidity or insects though...

Goblue

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somethin' weird...cool spring...temps in the low 70's...plus 3/4's of an inch of rain in the last week...REAL WEIRD in May...no flies in the barn...no masks on the horses yet...haven't seen a mosquito in years.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb: Sounds like the above was written by the chamber of commerce ... Call Al - You have played a bigger role in the DNC for years ... Get Al on your cell! ask him

Goblue

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Naw...I'll be on the streets working for BO against 3 Dollar John...and for our local congressional candidate but I got bored with the internal workings of the county and state party.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Eye "B" headed to the O camp office this Monday" (SE neighborhood talk) I hope to volunteer a few days a week ... U B my idol for not being idle.... 3 dollar is such a spinal cord... I think that we should be passing out campaign literature at every gas station .... U da Man!

Goblue

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: JMcC's claim to fame is that he was a lousy student at the Academy...wouldn't have graduated if his father and grandfather hadn't been admirals...was a lousy pilot...and spent 5 years as a POW. He's been a lousy senator...done nothing for AZ...been involved in financial scandals...talks out of both sides of his mouth...ain't very bright...looks like Bush3 to me!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You have covered it all ...

Goblue

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On to the White House...and getting this country back to a level of sanity!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: another chapter might be the eventual political support that those of the eastside from the 50 -70 era have gravitated towards over the years ...

Goblue

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Good thought...a chapter devoted to maintaining the political promise of the 50's-70's...and the manner in which the current administration has all but destroyed the promise of America...domestically and internationally.

(Message edited by GoBlue on May 18, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: as a follower of you older (much) guys ... and idolizing what you guys did ... I did run as a delegate for the 68 Democratic convention for my district on the eastside against two others and can say I did come in second ... so I watched it on TV like the rest of us..... Check out a Book called Millennial Makeover winograd & Hais ... I picked it up at borders about a week ago and it is very interesting ... there is HOPE from what the book has to say and what Obama has to offer ....

Goblue

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Actually, I have to stop by Barnes & Noble on my way to Tucson this afternoon...I'll pick up a copy...thanks.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Worked at the BO headquarters in Palo Alto this afternoon making calls to voters in Oregon about getting their ballot in ... all positive calls except for one ... that was a good sign along with the 75,000 + who showed up at his rally on Sunday.....

May MCBush get crushed.....

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know one you is a Western Grad. I was going through some matches and found these circa early 70's. GB I have some older Michigan ones somewhere I'll dig those up so you won't be jealous. If you guys log onto the SJ Nostalgia Face Book Page, I have posted almost 70 matchbooks from the 40's 50's 60's & 70's of the northest corner and surrounding area.

WMU

WMU

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=1200987561

Eastside61

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Way to go! another chapter for the book! Very Cool...

Goblue

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Thanks...I'm the Bronco grad...ES attended a no-name second tier school somewhere in the middle of the state. Thanks for the pics.

(Message edited by GoBlue on May 21, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Bronco grad with a moniker of GoBlue? I'm afraid to ask

Eastside61

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Please don't ask the clown ... he is a wanna be and now for the next two months we will have to read about his life in AArbor that lasted about 16 minutes and YES! he still wears one of those silly leather 'BananaHead' helmets to bed every night.... I guess we better go on vacation now so that we don;t have to read that drivel ... Z: great matches .... any MSU the TRUE university of michigan matches?????

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: GB tried moving to UM from Western. But it wasn’t long until they had enough of him, and he had to return to Bronco-land. He still hallucinates to the point of believing he is a UM alumnus and wearing weird headgear. He was so pitiful even MSU wouldn't accept him.

Goblue

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's true...WMU was my home during those early years...after I was booted from WSU after one semester...plus the Broncos offered the chance to play on the Club Hockey team...a buddy and I did make an occasional foray to the MSU campus...but those were mercy trips...had to feel sorry for those poor coeds...all they had to choose from was the likes of ES...Aqua Velva, Vitalis, pompadours, duck tails, etc., etc., etc.

Zitro

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES- I'll look but I don't know about any Spartoons matches. I have to be honest my oldest son is a 99' grad of the Maize' & Blue so I'm kind of partial.

Goblue

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I KNEW ya sounded like an honest guy! At least you have one kid off of the checkbook.

Zitro

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 more to go.