Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scoooore

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 628
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just doing sneak peaks in on the Stones, especially now they're losing by double digits. Not counting them out yet. They have surge potential!

The Tigs are in great shape. Where were these runs yesterday?!

Both Wings goals were awesome. Unfortunately it's Wings 1 - Canadian Refs biased against European hockey players 1.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay 1-0 starting the next period with a PP. Stones are looking flat first 5 minutes will determine if they have a run in them.

Zitro

Post Number: 572
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We owed the Twinkies an ass whoopin' we been too nice to them this year

Jcole

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scoooore, again

Zitro

Post Number: 573
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, did you wash one of your socks? The Stones are sleepwalking again.

Jcole

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but they seem to know whenever I peek at them. They stop playing and look at me. I've turned them off, but it didn't work

Jcole

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zetterberg!

Jcole

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's one down. 3 to go.

Zitro

Post Number: 574
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a perfect game of hockey tonight-Perfect

Jcole

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beauty.

7andkelly

Post Number: 629
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm back from concentrating intensely on watching the Red Wings victory! A most enjoyable game!

We beat the Penglosses and the refs.

Ooooh, the Stones have some catching up to do.

Jcole

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pitiful. Just pitiful

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z; Thanks for sharing the art work....just simply amazing..what a talent....and a great SJ story..candleholders for art..... We end up at Sindbads at least a couple of times a year..notice the photos and drawings by the bar, now we'll have to pay more attention.

7K: Know exactly what you mean by the ice flows and feeling like your on a boat. I walk along the river during my dinner hour (by Bishop Park) and during the winter at night when all you can hear is the sound of the ice flowing down river. It's a very powerful, almost eerie, yet peaceful surrounding. The night club/bar you most likely are referring to is the Pier 500....still going

JCole: small world. Jerry Cole was, I believe on the school board....maybe just maybe on city council at one time. I'll have to check the flag pole and the city hall plaques to confirm.

Jcole

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found something about Cousin Jerry being associated with the Wyandotte city government on the municipal service commision. Whatever that is.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 531
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Come to think of it Jerry Cole was on the board at Wyandotte Hospital years ago...maybe that's why the name is so familiar...more later

7andkelly

Post Number: 632
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Isn't Pier 500 on the opposite side of Wyandotte Hospital from Bishop Park? If so, that's not the same hip bar. The hip bar on Biddle is/was within a couple of blocks of Bishop Park, and is/was much less swanky than Pier 500. It's more of a Pier 25, without the pier, the cover charge, a view of the river, or the dressed up patrons...a pinball playing, pool table kind of bar that may or may not have had a small 10X10 dance floor...crowded though...a good place to stop in and get a brewsky.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: The Pier 500 is located on the north side of Wyandotte near Ecorse. The place you're thinking about probably was "Captain Ahab" on Biddle, a rock/biker bar that's been closed for over 20 years. That place had quite an eclectic patronage during it heyday.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 26, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain Ahab...THAT'S IT! The eclectic place! No, wait, it seemed more non-denominational.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - I just saw those beautiful candle holders. I'm so glad you have them safely treasured in your home. Through the years since the church's interior was changed, many of these St. Jude church/altar adornments have disappeared. You brought back a beautiful memory. I'm guessing those used to adorn the main altar. I'm glad they're in good hands!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today is Memorial Day...I'm thinking back just before WWII when St. Jude Parish/School were first started and the first stages of developement ocurred during that war...............TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
1. The first class picture I remember was from 1943..the handful of early graduates would be in their upper 70s now..I'm wondering if there is anyone or a family of someone in those early 40s classes that could tell their story..What school did they attend before St. Jude? (maybe from a DPS school or another Catholic school on the east side?)
2. Is there someone who was baptized at St. Jude in the early 40s and have remained a St. Jude parishioner ever since AND has lived within the St. Jude Parish boundaries?
3. Is there anyone or any family who has lived in the same house since it was originally built (within the St. Jude Parish boundaries) in the 40s or 50s and has remained there since?

just thinking of all the vets who gave their time and some ultimately their lives in WWII and Korea......many who returned settled in that far northeast side of Detroit Parish known as St. Jude.

Is the memorial plaque of the Vietnam War still by the Blessed Mother statue?

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 26, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction for what it's worth: The CO72 reunion was Nov 8, 97 at Emilio's on Groesbeck in Roseville, and not in '92 at Gilberts. And D. Battani was the organizer.

Jcole

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie Battani? She graduated with me. Or was there another D. Battani

7andkelly

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donna

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are either Debbie or Donna related to Maryanne Battani? She was a classmate of mine & now a Federal judge.

BTW, nice to see some of us slackers are waking up. Been a little quiet around here this weekend.

KR, we didn't get to St. Jude's until 1949. My folks stayed in the parish, first on Eastburn then on Saratoga, until about 1977. Can't be of any help on real ancient times.

Zitro

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wings up after 2. Stones up at the half and it looks like Sheff just got hurt. Things are looking good.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: concerning your 5/24 post on room 107 and the library....I think room 107 use to be an auxiliary office where Mrs. Sullivan the secretary/sometimes nurse would work. The library use to be located on the Rex side of the north hallway off the Maddelein entrance. There also was a supply room where you could get control paper, fountain pens etc. located directly right off the Maddelein entrance on the patio side of the north hall. The current library was at one time 6th or 7th grade classrooms.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 27, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the supply room, and now that you mention it, the library was right down the hall from my 5th grade classroom. Mrs Warzniak was my 5th grade teacher, and she helped to really instill a love for books and reading in me. She was married to a fireman and lived over on Nottingham near Whittier. After 5th grade, I used to ride my bike to her house and sit on the porch talking about books and history when her husband was at work.
There is the teacher memory that makes SJS alive to me.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 535
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: That's a great story....a teacher that inspired, especially the love of reading (the foundation of other learning)...That love of reading in reality also kept you physically fit...with all the bike rides over to Mrs. Warzniak's house or the Franklin library.