Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I used to ride my bike up there at least once a week to get books. I loved reading plays, for some reason, and I took out books that noone had checked out in years, and I'm probably the last one who did. I wish I could have bought some of the books that I read there. I have purchased a lot of young adult books off of the internet that I read back then and are no longer in print.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, you sure rode your bike to far places. What kind of bike was it, and how many speeds did it have?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Did your bike have a basket for all the books?

Jcole

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At first, I had the standard fat tire bike, and it was pink and white. I got a ten speed when I was sixteen.
I rode that fat tire to the Library at 6 and Gratiot, Lake St. Clare, Gratiot and 7, my sister's in GGP and later to my boyfriends house at Harper and 9 Mile.
It was my only mode of transport until I was almost 18. Didn't get a drivers license til we moved to Almont.

Jcole

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, no basket. I had an old leather purse that was pretty big, and I could get about 3-4 books in it, and hung it from the handlebars. More than once it swung into the spokes, and I went flying ass over teacup into the street.

Jcole

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The unfortunate thing is that I ruptured my eardrum when I was in my thirties, and can't stay balanced on a bike anymore.

7andkelly

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about your eardrum.

My first bike was a girl's 20 inch fat tire bike too! Mine was blue and white.

As soon as I could ride standing, I rebuilt a 24" boys bike. Still have the scar on my hand from trying to slice the old grips off the handlebars with an old pare knife.

Jcole

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a smaller 18 or 20 inch before the Pink beauty, but it was really old, having been used by all my older sisters before me. I think I got the pink one for my 11th birthday.
The eardrum is filled with some sort of thick liquid, so it rings a lot and when it's ringing, I get off-balance, so riding a bike is sort of tricky. So is walking sometimes, but that might just be age :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our humble beginnings...

I often say I grew up in black and white. We had this old Admiral 18" set until I was 8 or 9 when we finally got a new TV! Unfortunately, it was a new black and white Admiral. Since EVERYONE else already had a colored TV, my guess is this one was a closeout.

Jcole

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My niece once asked my brother if we were born in black and white, because all she ever saw were b&w photos of us as kids, and all of a sudden in the sixties, there was color. When he was in his late twenties, she also asked why his skin grew over the top of his hair.
Cute kid

Kellyroad

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All bikes, except my first (a 20" Murray) were from the Detroit Police auction: Learned about the art of bidding at the age of 9 with my dad....my reward a 24 inch boys bike for $9 (maybe a Huffy)...learned the skills of bike repair and upkeep...tire, spoke, and chain repair ....kept Jake's on Kelly in business...especially after much rough riding on the blacktop or through the fields of Heilmann.

Jcole

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both of my new bikes were bought on Gratiot at what I think was Century bikes. I figure Dad must have known someone, because he had a tendency to shop where he could get a deal. Jewelry and electronic or appliances came from Maloof's on Harper and Bommarito Brothers for fish and other food delicacies.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Maloof's on Jefferson & Chalmers? We drove past it Saturday afternoon on our way to a wedding at DYC on Belle Isle. 1st time on the island in years. Lots of people having fun - including the DYers.

1st bike? A 24" Hopalong Cassidy bought used ($25) from Earl's on Harper & rode until I got my "English racer" Raliegh for SJS graduation. Wish I still had both of those. Spent a lot of time on the Hopalong Cassidy making it look cool as I got older.

Jcole

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Maloof opened a few stores.
That's what my 10 speed was, an English racer. It was dark green with rams horn handlebars. I was stylin'.
Unfortunately, dad only bought it if I promised not to bug him to get my driver's license.

7andkelly

Post Number: 643
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone knew Freddie, which likely explains his long success.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chime in: 1st bike a Hawthorne! (points to who knows what store that came from!....#2 a sears ...........# 3...............# 3.......a '55 CHEVY! ooooooo

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and.........boy oh boy! june 1 sure rolled around quick didn't it gang?..........so what's the detailed haps on sunday CFG ?....I know where I'll start off

7andkelly

Post Number: 644
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monkey Wards!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

right you are 7 and K (just when I thought no one was monitoring this site!

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

June 1st rolled around WAY too quick - but I'm ready! I think I must have delivered 7 loads of 10-12 bags of top soil at 40 lbs. per bag to the rectory garage, yikes - my back hurts! We're doing the WHOLE block this year - starting with the front church planters to the front of the convent, gym and around the school. Definite stop at Monkey Wards or Feds for some gardening tools - and if we run out of top soil, there's always Franks at 7 and Hayes! start time is after 11:00 Mass and my crowd inspiring pep talk -don't want to miss that!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

40 pounds!..........sign me up for supervision!........I claimed it!

7andkelly

Post Number: 646
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.68T

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&kk - You're on! If you're so inclined to come early, I'll be there by 9, dropping off Mom Liberty to Mass and will be starting on those Supervisory tasks prior to the official start! I would appreciate some extra muscles, toting those top soils to all parts around the grounds!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait.wait.........UAW local 368 here..........when I come early I get to pick the lawn chair that I will be DIRECTING the late arrivals on where to lift and tote those 40 pounders!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooooohhhhh kkkkkaaaayyyyyy -----
You get the stick with the pointer to "Direct" the 11:00 Mass crowd as to where WE need them to tote those 40 lb bags! Gotcha! As long as you bring your own lawn chair - you're on!
on another note....
went to 7:00 Mass tonight concelebrated by Fr. Robert and Bishop Quinn - it was the closing Mass for the school. Talk about a tear-jerker! Talked to the Bishop after the Mass, telling him proudly about the class of 1970 under Fr. Ording and tried to paint a picture of what the church used to look like. No plans yet as to the outcome of our school.

7andkelly

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, I'm glad you went to the school Mass. They spoke of it when I was there, and even the mere mention of it caused wet eyes. Not only does this mark the end of an era within the city, all those teachers and school administrators are no longer going to be working together in that wonderful family atmosphere that is Catholic education today. And hopefully, prayerfully, a new window of opportunity will be presented to all those super kids of East Catholic.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: It's still hard to believe the school is closing in two weeks. No doubt the last mass was a tear jerker especially in the presence of those students. Saying goodbye is very difficult isn't it?

"the last shot"

the supply room off the Maddelein entrance

the long hallway

Kellyroad

Post Number: 539
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andKelly_Kid: Didn't your Hawthorne have built in headlights?

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 28, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Built-in headlights. Now THAT is stylin'

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: It's very tempting to work off that line, but I'll leave it alone since this is a church related thread.