Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through May 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO my former Eastside Friends: OD was known a "Mumbles" which it seems Jc can relate too throughout his career on Mapleridge ... before he moved to where ---- Oh no ... he went to CA which only helped him get through Middle school before he dropped out ... He was last seem with some woman who went to St Jude School and they were reading the comics ... so 7K is right! they are totally nuts ....

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmm...it's sounding like Jc really is SH(Y) and that she's falling for OD....poor ES.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok OK... She (Jc) is SH and I will be at their wedding in July and truly be the BEST Man ... Gb will be the ring bearer. The wedding and reception will be held on the former St Jude parking lot in a rented 706 Tent from the Mackinaw Island retreat -

Goblue

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: 706 tents were all pup tents designed for two...like the time that SH(Y) kept her hair tucked under her ball cap and convinced the leaders that she was a member of the troop...keeping the tent warm.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Remember to pick up the ring at Supreme Drugs on Hayes ... the tent is big enoght for Ms Jc and Mr. OD.....Bring the tent that SH(y) is familiar with ... see ya at the parking lot ... the honeymoon will be at the Blue Spruce Resort on Farmbrook .....

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: It’s good you told ES what a pup tent is. He doesn’t have a nice barn to sleep in when Mrs. ES kicks him out of the house, and a pup tent would be just perfect for him and Violet.

To all: Yes, it’s true. I was known as Mumbles for awhile. I was cutting through the Columbus playground on my way home from Alinosi's one day when I stumbled over ES and SH in the middle of something I can’t even talk about today. I was so shocked I couldn’t speak for several days. All I could do was mumble. Oh Lord, it’s all coming back to me now. I thought I had dealt with it, but I’m starting to have trouble speak… mumble… mumble… mumble…

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless GB was into 5 year olds, I think you fellas are on the wrong track here. I think my parents kept me out of pup tents until I was at least 14

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I'm just glad it wasn't me that said that. You just revealed one of GB's best kept secrets. Even ES will be shocked.

Goblue

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/Jc: Now WAIT a minute! It wasn't ME that was chasing SH(Y) around. And, the only time I was ever near Almont was in the backseat of my parents car while my father drove like he was at the wheel of a squad car on the way to our cottage on Saginaw Bay...scared the hell out of me each trip.

You stumbled over them on the Columbus playground? No wonder they both has strategically placed scars from the cinders and gravel. It took a lot of courage to play baseball on that playground...much less anything else.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc/OD - GB and I have things to do so how long will the ceremony at the SJ Parking lot take ... there is a reunion at Columbus GRAVEL/Blood stained playground at 11 AM .... please advise ...and has mumbles practiced his vows yet ????

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You're right, it couldn't have been you. We used to pass by Almont on the way to Metamora and D-Bar-A scout camp. But now I remember you saying you never want to that camp. I wonder who it was I saw???

Goblue

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Well...I was at D-Bar-A...several times...but I can assure you that the cinder scars on MY knees are from playing baseball and football on the Columbus playground...those cinders were killers.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/OD: Columbus was the only place you NEVER slid into ANY base unless you had total medical coverage .... Brutal place ....Cinders and Glass and then some gravel....

Goblue

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columbus playground was a place where boys were boys and the knees and hands were bloody.

Jcole

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never went to Columbus, I was a Burbank kid. We could play without permanent disfigurement.

Goblue

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: You mean to tell us that Burbank had a smooth grass playground...while us Columbus kids risked lifelong cinders under the skin every time we went out of the portables that served as our classrooms! We were discriminated against! It ain't right I tell ya!

Jcole

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had Heilmann right across the street.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: See ... Jc was further east and benefitted from the Great Burbank experience ... I must admit that I had two good friends from the famous "Made in Detroit" book neighborhood ... Burbank and MacGregor schools ..... were the places to go!! I am happy that we at least finished high school... didn't we???

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: It’s a shame you couldn’t have joined us at Columbus. While the guys were getting spit in our eyes, glass and gravel cuts all over our bodies, and generally doing ‘man things’ the girls were inside learning ‘lady things’. We always held girls in high esteem and never made them go on the playground unless they really wanted to … case in point - SH.

ES was a prissy little kid and avoided the playgrounds because they were “too nasty”. So he had nobody to play with and never experienced male bonding. During the summers he would follow the bigger boys around the neighborhood around hoping to be noticed but would never go on the playgrounds with them. He just stood on the sidewalk watching through the fence… really pathetic… It was during this lonely time that the Jjaba personality emerged as an older brother to keep him company because his real big brother was too ashamed to have anything to do with him.

Somehow, though ES was able to overcome his fear of playgrounds when it came to SH. But even though he was very nasty with her, he still managed to avoid all contact with the gravel.

Jcole

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only went to Burbank for a 1/2 year of kindergarten and 1/2 year of first grade, so I didn't have much opportunity to be ladified. I went to St. Jude, and got religified.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just on FYI on the Burbank playground. It was covered with gravel, not very good for playing baseball, but the Italians loved it for playing Bocce Ball. There always seemed to be a game of Bocce being played there.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: As GB - OD and myself can attest to the fact that the whole Columbus playground (if you can call it that) was covered in large gravel and cinders .... Not much fun so we just didn't play there....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Still being prissy, huh!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Od: I didn't want to have my dresses ripped and torn ...

Jcole

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, I'll bet you looked good in pink gingham

Eastside61

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: I had to borrow GB's prom dress in 1961 for my twin brother Jjaba who needed a dress for the Cass Tech prom ... Gb won best dressed girl in '59 .... he still has the trophy in his Rec. Room in Az.

Goblue

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/Jc/OD: Weren't MY prom dress...but SJ was gorgeous in it...I could only guess what she looked like out of it...that didn't happen in those days...nonetheless...she was a lovely young woman.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: how is the new Dress shop that you and Tango have opened up in the high country of AZ? Sally still looks good even today ... and I have the necessary info ready for you GB ... just let me know when you need the info ...

Goblue

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I have already located SJ...like I said earlier...near where you got peppered with well deserved buckshot. Tango got his toenails trimmed today...and a cyst taken off his eye lid yesterday...it hasn't been a good week for him. We shoulda been vets...far better money than docs...and damn far better than educators.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Next time around we will be vets ... and livin' the good life.