Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Don Cherry, like him or not? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 529
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Cherry, the CBC hockey commentator, not the jazz musician of the same name. One of the local sports talk radio shows was bashing him a bit. Regardless of whether you agree with him or not, the guy is passionate about his country and the game of hockey. And who else takes the time to honor fallen policemen, firefighters and servicemen. Hell, NBC and Versus rarely even show the national anthem. Once you get past the loud suits and ties and big collars or his bombastic vocal delivery, the guy usually speaks the gospel truth. I never miss his segment.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7982
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mind his passion for the game but he's also got to realize that the game has evolved a bit. I can appreciate his national pride but it also borders on bigotry too. Has he realized that there are now European players that can play with grit now? Has he finally realized that the NHL game is no longer just a North American game now? I think those outdated views still hold him back from being a true hockey sage.

I do appreciate when he praises the little things like the servicemen, civil servants, small town folk and some of the things that we take for granted at times. He also does a great thing when he breaks down individual plays- which he should; he was a coach once! I look past his silly outfits and his blustery delivery and try to take some of the good things that he says.

I take him with a huge grain of salt and have the filter on.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's had a running feud with Quebec over calling French players by their English pronunciations, like Patrick "Roy" instead of "Wah". He's made a lot of money with the blow hard style but it's his gimmick. The Rockem Sockem videos of his have sold more than any other sports videos by far. He is very sincere about patriotism, war vets, etc. and loves kids from minor hockey to junior. Every once in a while CBC threatens to pull him when he says something bombastic. They have to because they're a gov't broadcaster but there's no chance in hell they would do it.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 976
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love him!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4836
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm basically with Smogboy, although I actually enjoy his bluster and over-the-top delivery...it's not something you could see on US network television. I don't really respect some of the manifestations of his national pride, or his demeanor while on-screen with Ron (he could be a little less stand-offish and still make strong points, no?), but on the whole, hockey broadcasting would be worse off without him (and I think he really likes the Red Wings).

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is doing a segment for the playoffs on ESPN.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4408
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He loves the Red Wings! And his stand-offish thing with Ron is just a game - I like it - it's more fun than the boredom on ESPN. I look forward to Coaches Corner, HNIC wouldn't be the same without him.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His departed wife was a cushion to control his out of control mouth on occasion. I've noticed since she's been gone that he has gotten more outrageous.
He reminds me of people who became caricatures in later life. John Wayne, Marlon Brando, Orson Welles etc. They became jokes and played to what people thought of them.
Howard Cosell is another that comes to mind.
Too often the good stuff he has to say is overwhelmed by the baloney.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.