Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through May 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: U B right ON! You will need to write a chapter or a chapter segment regarding the "YUM" aqua net that was used during that era ... and maybe even today.... Loved it! Rumor about GB is that he used it prior to playing hockey at Heilmann... just a rumor but more than likely true!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 999
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aqua Net is still out there for sale. It's for when you need just that little bit of extra hold, or hooker hair.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Aqua Net and dirty socks just sent the Wings to the Stanley Cup finals.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing wrong with hooker hair and smelly socks, now is there?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Which players on the Wing Nuts use Aqua Net???? I know it started at Heilmann around 1958 by some guy over on Fordham ... and I am glad that the Wings have picked up on his tradition ...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: We know GB doesn't use Aqua Net, doesn't need it anymore. As I recall the Sharks are penalized for hooking a lot more than the Wings.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You have said a lot ... Is that why GB who is the original bananahead wears one of those weird u OF m helmets in all photos..... ????? The Sharks that I know are having trouble relating to the slow dancing aqua net experience of the late 50's early 60's dances at DHS - ND Friday night dances ... but as Jc has stated 'YUM" ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I didn't know GB wore a helmet. I thought the blue and yellow stripes were just Aqua Net side effects. You know you can't trust the FDA on anything these days.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Like agent orange -Aqua net did do it for him ... and here I thought it was a leather helmet but it is actually his head ... and I thought that Violet 59 had scalped him in the early 60's ... those legends have a way to growing and growing ......

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD/JC: Geez, I leave you three alone without supervision for two days and you start acting like its a substitute teacher! SE59 wasn't into scalping...emasculating is more her game! Taste of Aqua Net? Hmmm...you know I really don't remember...when yer in seventh heaven those kinds of details don't get noticed. We haven't heard a word from OD about his SD obsession...he was sent to Mrs. Sturm's office for drooling on his homework when SD brushed against him...accidently.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: so OD was a drooler ... Interesting and psychologically challenging - The key would be knowing if he actually drooled on Mrs. Sturm - that would be telling and I think that OD should let us all about SD ( what street did she stay on/) and Mrs. Sturm.....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Don't believe anything GB says. He's been wearing that banana helmet since cub scouts (well after all it is cub scout colors) and it compressed his head so his brain never had a chance to advance beyond 3rd grade.

Goblue

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The way I understood it Mrs. Sturm took OD to her (ample) breasts in an attempt help him through his angst about SD...but he slobbered all over her also...it was hard to keep a straight face in Mrs. Swanson's class whenever SD walked by his desk.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take umbrage at that statement, extreme umbrage. I was always the perfect young gentleman and never had any occasion to even meet Mrs. Sturm, no less engage in the salacious acts he describes. Perhaps that size 3 helmet as causing GB to hallucinate again and create this imaginary scenario from his experiences with Ms. Fruend’s booty.

Goblue

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...I'm just repeating what I heard...but, I was a witness to OD's twitching behaviors whenever SD was within 30 ft. of him...it was shameful...or at least worth a good snicker. Actually, I think that's why he doesn't appear in the pic of the Columbus 8th Grade class...he was assigned to stand behind SD and ended up passing out (or gas) and falling off the top rung of the bleacher.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all: When GB says “I’m just repeating what I heard” be very careful. With that undersized banana helmet pressing his eardrums together he never gets anything straight. Although surprisingly he did get it partially correct. I was standing next to GB when he passed so much gas it knocked me out, and I fell off the back of the risers.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/OD: So the actual Auditorium "Brownie" that Playa told us about for years was powered by GB gas byproducts ? What would the last name of SD be???? And what is the scoop about Fruend and GB? You got to be kidding me - was he the one that has been rumored for years that he might have been the guy that she would put under her desk and then pull her chair with her 413 LB body up tight to the desk.....maybe that is where GB's head was damaged.

Oh - OD sorry that you missed the photo opp on the Columbus stage.....maybe you could photoshop yourself back into the class.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: All I know about the GB - Fruend affair was he would always carry her books to her car, and she kept him after school several times for whatever reason because he had been a 'bad' (wink, wink) boy..... The photoshop is a good idea. I could put myself 2nd from the left in the top row. Some goon is there now, but nobody would miss him.

GB: Sometimes love lost is better than love gained. Case in point... SE59.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: The Columbus GB History is very frightening to say the least ... Fruend affair is bad enough ... then the weekends at Mrs Swanson's home ... his climbing out of a 2nd story window ... his stealing of bikes from Dennis's back yard ... his harassing of both H girls ... his destruction of Cub and Scout troop 706 ... his dumping of the NE Shopper in the alley at Linnhurst and Brock ... and then there is the Plymouth .... so much and he still is wearing the extra small helmet that Ron Kramer gave to him ...

Goblue

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hail to the Victors Valiant...Hail to the Conquering Heros...Hail, Hail to Meeeechigan...the Champions of the West!

Ya'll been smokin' way too much CA homegrown!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Oh yes! the repetitive singing of the uOFm fight song while getting a Bronco tattoo removed for the second time makes one wonder about his stability ... it was when he was kicked out of the Columbus Choir that the viktors German version of the bananahead song began ... he would even sing it when he had the hick-ups ...

Heil Hitler to the Viktors ... we tried to conquer the world ... and what ever drivel came next ...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all: Long before the civil rights affirmative action laws the Boy Scouts had a policy of admitting any boy, no matter how undesirable. When GB’s Cub Scout class came up for admission, Troop 706 lost the lottery and got stuck with him. But even this bad news had a silver lining. GB was so undesirable that 706 was excused from all further lotteries until he finally left the troop. GB taught us innocents how to survive, and even thrive, in this evil world. The troop would not have been the same without him.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Hail to the Victors Valiant? I don't understand. Why would you so cherish a song about a car you so despised? And who was Victor? Victor Hufnagel (sp) from Columbus? And what was so special about his Valiant? Was it customized or something? Perhaps a souped up six cylinder? Is that why you decided to get one, to keep up with Victor? And all this time you've been blaming poor SE59.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: The only 706 cub and scout NEVER to be awarded either any arrowheads or merit badges was GB ... since i lived down the street from St James church I knew when scout meetings were being held because of the number of DPD squad cars parked on Parkgrove and Morang. I remember that GB was the only student in 7th grade who drove to elementary school ... know wonder that Mrs Sturm and others were pissed when he would park in their parking slots.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: GB was ALMOST the only one never to be awarded either any arrowheads or merit badges. There was one other. Not wishing to rat on a fellow Mapleridge colleague I had hoped to keep it secret, but honor now forces me to reveal it.

To all: ES was the one exception to the BSA “no undesirable left behind” rule. He failed Cub Scouts and refused to take the makeup test so he could not be promoted into the Boy Scouts. He had been a malcontent ever since his cub master refused to award him the wolf rank. He argued he should be promoted since he had been a wolf with SH since kindergarten, but his argument fell on deaf ears. Even his den mother said he was a wolf, but it did no good. It’s just as well though. If he had been with Troop 706 on our Mackinac assignment, there’s no telling how much trouble he might have gotten us into. Even though he never made wolf he was one heck of a tom cat, oops I mean bobcat.

Goblue

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always knew OD as an honorable 706er...his word can be trusted.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ToALL: GB and OD did get merit badges for Pure Bull Shit coming out of their mouths - both took arrows to their helmet heads so that got them another merit badge - They helped that CLOWN Jjaba find his way back to Sussex when his compass got stuck in a compromising position when he bent over at a camp out on Fordham... so that is three and then they moved on the some type of outreach program with the Campfire Girls at Stoneybrook park...

ES61 Proudly, support my scouting friends and their scouting experiences..... The real Cub pack and Scout Troop was 309 out of Columbus.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD and I were awarded the highest badge of honor for our gallantry in action during the Whammo & Acorns battle with 309...it is akin to the Croix du Guerre...it was for our fearless assault on the 309 tent camp with a barrage of cherry bombs and M-80's...the suckers ran like a bunch of scared chipmunks while we moved in and made off with their cache of candy bars...our troop mates carried us about on their shoulders cheering wildly when we returned with the booty.

(Message edited by GoBlue on May 24, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ???? All records on the Web state that pack / troop 706 only lasted 269 days and was closed by the Boy Scouts of America on May 24 1958 when it admitted a westside individual who was obsessed about driving a Bus on the Westside and inappropriate use of compass points with other scouts ... It is rumored that the compass individual later became a presbyterian minister after graduation from CAss Tech.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Know any good mental health professionals? It seems someone with such an obsessive hatred of the Boy Scouts simply because he was denied the wolf rank more than half a century ago would make an excellent subject for a research paper and case study. Alas, ES will always be a bobcat.