Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And meet the young lady who fell from a star

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, great quote on Eastwood thread.
My daughter got her Masters in Creative Writing at the Jack Kerouac School for Disembodied Poetics at Naropa University in Boulder, CO.
It was dedicated to Jack by Alan Ginsberg.

Jcole

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, the problem is, I think that they still may BE in Kansas

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 541
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I represent the Lollipop guild:

JCole: Interestingly, a former colleague of mine gave me a copy oh HOWL years ago....still have it at work...Allen Ginsberg appeared at the Hill auditorium to read Howl back in the mid 90s just before he died..I regret not having gone.

I read 'ON THE ROAD' by Kerouac for the 1st time just a few year ago...what a classic.

Time to leave Oz....be back with more poignant St. Jude memories

Jcole

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a member of the Detroit Catholic Forensic League in high school, I read portions of HOWL and placed third in Detroit for Serious Interprative Reading
Got a trip to Chicago out of it.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great - know nothing about HOWL - and 7&KK will be at St. Jude on Sunday with the "Pointer". I feel a sharp rap on the knuckles coming on...

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you betcha CFG!...........40 plus years of pent up frustration toward "GIRLS" (you know the ones..the ones who were always first to volunteer to do stuff like come back to school on weekends and clean up and such and look good to the nuns when the boys would get stuck doin' the work!) anyway.............it'll be interesting during mass looking around trying to figure out whose who. (except for myself and KR)...see you sunday!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Trust me! HOWL would have been banned at St. Jude. The key word in JCole's post is "portion".
Howl is a 22 minute poem as read by Ginsberg...much of the poem would warrant a major detention or expulsion by Sr. Leonita...You'd have to plead your case to Fr. Ording to get back into the school and maybe his feelings of open mindedness vs. censorship would prevail.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, I resemble that remark about slacking off in Flint. I was working. Not that I do that much anymore. Last visit with some old, long time customers.
CFG, hope you have a good turn out Sunday. Sorry I won't be able to get down there.

Jcole

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Portion is correct, KR. I had to severely edit to get it past the DCFL powers that were. It was long, profane and loved by the hippie generation.I wanted to be shocking for a change. I was used to doing readings like 'When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloomed' and the radish scene from 'Gone with the Wind'.

Eastburn

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did you miss out on a career in the theatre?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Perhaps being shocking and going down a different path got you 3rd place and that trip to Chicago.

Jcole

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a great interpreter, but a litle to emotive for theater. In other words, I was a ham.

Jcole

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I'm sure it did, and the fact that I busted butt for three years before I placed in the finals.
The real bite was that the Chicago Grand Nationals was my last performance. As soon as I got back, we moved to Almont for my Senior year.
Alas, another great talent wasted in the cornfields. :-)
(I told you I was a ham)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&KK - LOVED the part about the boys doing all the work! Somehow, I don't think I'm going to be able to skate on Sunday - no matter how hard I try and hide - we've given away too many hiding places!
Yep - see you Sunday!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 544
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Even the tunnels were revealed by you and 7K. no more mystery, no more hiding places

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 674
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome to visit me in the tunnels on Sunday. We'll have a BYOB&F party. It's nice down here because I can tap into the broadband.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I need to escape - I know where to find some company!

Zitro

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the balcony in the gym still is filled with chairs you can always climb around them to the far west side.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooohhh, thanks Z - but you could have sent that one on the QT - now I can be found! :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 675
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's a hot day, bring your bathing suits. You must see what I've done with the pool. I'll be the one wearing the bathing cap. I really should have been more careful working on the electrical while standing in the water.

Jcole

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, do you live in the tunnels? are you a real troll?

7andkelly

Post Number: 676
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No trolls! Lots of great food though. I found Cfg's stash! Don't worry. I'm good for it.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, is nothing sacred - now my stash is gone! We'll take picture to share the "fun" with the out-of-town slackers

Zitro

Post Number: 598
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be thinking about how hard you'll be working, will that help? If it rains anymore here I might be able to hop on a jet ski and make it there on time.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that will help a whole lot. At least, I'm going to TRY and not be the entertainment for the event. Last year, I wore the disintegrating T-shirt as the rains came down on our cleanup day. Tried to pin it together as it shredded - to no avail. Must have bought it from the FlashDance Boom Boom Room!

7andkelly

Post Number: 677
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RAIN!? Rain is not good for tunnels. I need to get going on some more waterproofing. I've used up the last of Frank's caulk.

Eastburn

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be worth the price of admission. If you promise to do an encore I might hop on the bike.

Zitro

Post Number: 599
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: You were reading my mind. Bad Catholic boy Bad!

Eastburn

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, thought I'd beat you to it this time.