Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Wings/Penguins » Archive through May 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7891
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Tkshreve.

Be prepared to be hoarse cheering for all of our teams before you start work in two weeks.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah........ forgot to mention.......

This work "push" is butting up against some vacation time I had arranged prior to the purchase of my plane ticket to Dela"bore". So, by june 20, I will be on my way up to Treetops resort to hack my way around most of their courses for an extended weekend. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. I believe my vacation is "grandfathered" seeing that I have already spent money on lodging.

So things look good. By far, this is the greatest sports season.

Yes, I will be prowling Detroit during the next two weeks finding any ol' watering hole where I can let loose, meet some people and watch some games. And blow my voice out.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4353
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take your own octi if going to Pittsburgh

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/ news/story?id=3409330

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 611
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I'll be hoarse cheering for Big Brown on June 7 too!

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To anyone going to the game tonight, make some noise! Let's go Red wings!

Hockey_guy

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

t minus 30 minutes!

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let the party begin.

Scs100

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pittsburgh had better wake up soon, or this will be over quick. Anyone else see Fleury trip at the beginning when he was going onto the ice? Only 3 wins left!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3172
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, the Wings looked super tonight. They really dominated that game. Almost too good to be true.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 434
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, 4 shots on goal by the Penguins in the second, and only 3 in the third period, Pittsburgh looked waaay overmatched by Detroit.

If game 2 follows the same script, the Red Wings could stick a broom in the Stanley Cup.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7919
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone watch CBC at the beginning of the game where they had the camera down the Pittsburgh tunnel? It showed the Penguins getting stoked and ready to appear only to have Marc Andre Fleury jump out of the gate and fall flat on his ass. The two kids who were part of the JLA crew were shown chuckling as it all unfolded!

The first period seemed like two boxers feeling one another out and the last two, Detroit just took over. It was pretty dominant. I also think that Detroit having a goal waved off in the Dallas series also played into how they dealt with the Holmstrom wave-off again. They didn't panic, argued a wee bit and still came back to take care of business.

One down, three more victories to go.

7andkelly

Post Number: 630
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post Smog!

We watched the same game.

IMO, the Versus people announce better that CBC, but I still think they have an anti-Wing bias.

And what's with the camera angles from in behind Ozzie's net. It's like they're anticipating our demise. It was almost Hillaryesh.

Scs100

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog, reread my post, I asked that same question (no big deal though). But yeah, those kids looked like they were having a blast after Fleury fell in front of their faces.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7922
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops my bad there Scs100. Didn't mean to steal any thunder there but it was still a hilarious moment. And I guess what accentuated the moment even more was that they were showing the Pens trying to hype one another up prior to the game in the tunnel. All hype and bluster shot as M.A. Fleury tumbled... that'll be a classic moment to be relived years from now I bet.

Scs100

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's already made Youtube... :-)

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 435
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6lFnbCg4HI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc7kryvcOYo

Scs100

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This series has already been better than last year's, just because of that.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7924
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN led with that snippet as well.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 505
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pens say they didn't play there game. Well, thats because the Wings didn't let them. This could be a quick series. I think the West is much stronger than the East. Dallas, SJ, Anaheim could beat Pittsburgh. Maybe even Nashville.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7929
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That always seems to be a standard excuse for losing for ANY team playing sports. Obviously they won playing their way but when they meet a team that can solve them and beat them, it's always politically correct to say they didn't play "their game". The Western Conference might not have the anointed superstars like the East, but they still seem to play a superior brand of TEAM hockey.

Hockey_guy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the shots of Detroit Versus and ESPN had last night. Very positive of Detroit last night.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 953
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interestingly enough, I noticed some of the shots from Windsor were stock footage.

The Penobscot had the christmas tree on top and the Red and Green lighting. Kind of odd...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me thinks we may be partying in Downtown Detroit this saturday!

Ray1936

Post Number: 3183
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Complete domination for two games now. I don't see how they're going to be stopped.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3184
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the coverage of Sid Crosby of the Penguins was more than over-kill. They put the camera on him every shot they could, not to mention the commentators for Versus praising his ability and youth.

Unfortunately for Mr.Crosby and Versus, he ain't done squat.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that was a Stanley Cup finals game. The second and third periods looked like a pre-season game.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah I saw that. If you want comedy listen to the pittsburgh coaches post game conference. Calling the Wings cheap

7andkelly

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another dirty game by another dirty team. Franzen's back from concussion, so they pummel him to the head every chance they get...open ice punch, whatever. Now that's cheap.

And Sykora's got to crash Ozzie with a minute to go and they're down by three. Note to Sykora: "You lost. Go home. And don't come back". More dirty play by a filthy team.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7937
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bettman must be hating it right about now. His marquee NHL match-up is starting to look awfully lopsided. The Wings are man-handling the poor anointed boys from Pittsburgh. And Ray, I totally agree with you about the Versus commentators- could they be more lopsided in their calls? You'd think it was the Crosby family doing the play-by-play. They're just looking for ANY angle for the Penguins to come back when there really wasn't much of a chance that they were. The Pens would get a shot on net and they'd call it momentum- what a joke! How about giving the Detroit Red Wings some credit for playing a sound, fundamental, skilled game??

7andkelly

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't under estimate Bettman. He trashed an entire season of hockey, ruined the record books and degraded the game with his stupid rules changes and insane salary cap.