Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through May 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 660
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember taking walks in the old neighborhood, on a warm summer's eve. Three things would catch my attention.

First and foremost were the date stamps in the side walk slabs. There would usually be one on each side of a lot. Of course, the older ones were the most intriguing. Some of them, mostly the newer ones from the sixties which were necessitated when the old ones were raised by elm tree roots, also indicated the name of the cement company and/or family that poured the concrete. And some newer cement pieces, much to my chagrin, were unstamped. Some ancient ones were stamped PWP, or something like that, signifying the job had been funded by one of FDR's work programs.

7andkelly

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. It was WPA, and not PWP.

Second, I used to look for the water shut off valves. No, I never shut off anyone's water, but I just thought it was pretty neat to spot these. Some were imbedded in the sidewalk or driveway. (BTW, remember when many of the driveways had a patch of grass in the middle. You don't see that today). Many of these valves were located in the "boulevard grass" between the sidewalk and the street. (We used to argue about that patch of land..."get off my property"..."it's not your land. It's the governments.'") Often times, there would be no shut off valve to be seen. Hopefully the water department had a better handle on the situation if you ever had a problem.

7andkelly

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And third, there were a couple of fire hydrant access panels I would lift off, and place a stick or two across on the inside. After a month or so, or every day, I would check back to see if the stick(s) was/were still there. Silly, huh?

Oh yeah, and we used to find caterpillars in the tree bark over on the NE corner of Rex and Eastwood. We would stick them in old Gerber jars after punching holes in the lids with hammer and nails. For some reason, these poor creatures' life spans were very short.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only caterpillars, but Praying Mantis were fair game. Sometimes we used shoe boxes and put grass and sticks in them to give the mantis a play spot.

7andkelly

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You put much more thought and care into your project. The mantis' quality of life was likely improved in your shoe box paradise.

For us it was about chipping bark, filling all the available jars, and punching the holes in the lids. If the caterpillars didn't all die in Gerber hell in two days, it was three.

Jcole

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were girls. We were nurturers. We wanted the insect to be comfortable.
It was the '60s
We were already brainwashed.

(Message edited by jcole on May 29, 2008)

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing I remember most about the sidewalks was before the cement dried someone would always write something in it. Most times it was a big heart with either (ES + Jjaba + SH) or (GB + SE59) inscribed inside.

7andkelly

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Have you taken your prescribed meds yet this morning? None of what you are writing ever happened.

Jcole

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, ROFLMAO

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Maybe not around 7 Mile and Kelly. The nuns probably kept watch on the cement until it dried. But in the tougher neighborhoods around Fordham and Mapleridge it was commonplace.

Jcole

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, jjaba's mother must have been very ahead of her times, to come up with a name like that back in the '40s

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I've heard labor pains can make a woman say and do strange things.

Jcole

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swore like a trooper, but I don't recall yelling out anything remotely like 'JJABA'

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: You might not remember everything you said in the heat of the moment, but isn't is possible you might have gasped something like that after the final push when the baby popped out? Ow.... ow... ow... jjaba!
I'm just wondering. Back in the old days the fathers weren't allowed in the delivery room so I can't speak as a witness.

Jcole

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were in my day, and all I ever said is unprintable in this forum.

7andkelly

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fordham and Mapleridge? You say you lived there, but you don't even know Fordham and Mapleridge. Don't be besmirching Fordham and Mapleridge. It was definitely not a bad neighborhood when I walked those streets on my way to Olsen's electronics, or Wards back in the 60s, so I know it wasn't bad in your day back in the 40s.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the '40s Jjaba was unprintable too, but times change.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Yes I lived on Mapleridge... one half block from Columbus. You might not have had any problems because we always gave the little harmless kids a pass when they were in the neighborhood.

7andkelly

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How nice of you since you were in your late twenties by then.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Fordham wasn't really dangerous in the 40's & early 50's...but if you were passing through you might be questioned about who you were...and why you were passing through our turf...no harm intended...just enough to make a stranger nervous and make sure they kept moving...the same reason we avoided Saratoga and streets farther south...and crossing 7 Mile to traverse through a neighborhood was a game for fools. If you got through without being question there was clearly a breakdown in security...or you were coming through about 3:00 A.M. OD had a clear pass by showing his 706 badge...ES knew better than to flash his 309. Jc would have been most welcome as we were more than polite to Catholic lovelies.

Jcole

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that I wasn't born until '56, I'm glad to see you wouldn't have tried to frighten me when I was 4.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: You are too young to have experienced the early days so let me fill you in. It is only due to heroes like GB, ES and myself manning the barricades with our Whammos and cherry bombs to keep interlopers out of the neighborhood that you were able to walk to Wards safely. By the time you came on the scene we had pretty well dispensed with all the hooligans. And after we gave up the best years of our youth protecting your sorry little butt, this is the thanks we get? If you want to see what the neighborhood would have been like without our sacrifices, just move back down there now.

7andkelly

Post Number: 668
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The following was sent to me recently in one of those endlessly flowing, ever forwarded e-mails. I think it may apply here today to some of you people. My apologies to the unknown author:

"Geezers! Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called as you will see....

'Geezers' are easy to spot: At sporting events, during the playing of the Star Spangled BANNER. Old Geezers remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.

Old Geezers remember the Depression, World War II, Pearl Harbor , Guadalcanal , Normandy and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War 1950-55, The Cold War, the jet age and the moon landing, the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam,

If you bump into an Old Geezer On the sidewalk he will apologize. If you pass an Old Geezer on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old Geezers trust strangers and are courtly to women. Old Geezers hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection. Old Geezers get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth on TV or in movies or in e-mails.

Old Geezers have moral courage. They seldom brag unless it's about their grandchildren.

It's the Old Geezers who know our great country is protected, not by politicians, but by the young men and women in the military serving their country.

This country needs Old Geezers with their decent values.

We need them now more than ever. Thank God for Old Geezers!

Pass this on to ALL the Old Geezers you know."

7andkelly

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people may be old, but you're sure no geezers...not by that definition anyway.

It's obvious you lack any modicum of decency, self respect, or common sense, but try if you will, to leave a better example and legacy for your grandchildren and great grandchildren.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on May 29, 2008)

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: - Remember Eastside Book Writer members - " Young and Geezer like" that we actually have done pretty well over the years and some of it had to do with growing up where we did......

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: You're right! I don't remember the Great Depression...I do remember the end of WWII though...all neighbors in the street pounding on pots and pans, cheering...lots of beer being shared. ES and OD tend to brag alot...and I guess I do too...but...when ya got it...flaunt it!

OD is right...we laid it on the line keeping the Eastside safe...well...mostly safe...until the DPD confiscated our supply of cherry bombs.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All that panic over a Red attack and behind the scenes we were being protected with cherry bombs, it's good to know you guys had us covered.

7andkelly

Post Number: 670
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Covered? More like cowered. Yeah, we were all safer with the likes of them.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You’re an educator so maybe you can answer this. What’s happened to the younger generation? Don’t the schools teach them anything anymore? Do they think the nice life they have today just happened and always was??? While they were still sucking on momma’s boobie you, I and ES were carving a neighborhood out of the wilderness for them… holding off the apes of 8 Mile and the hordes of Houston so they could have it better than we did. We would never talk to our elders the way they do. Ungrateful young whippersnappers.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never sucked on my Momma's boobie, I was raised on Pet Milk.