Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Flip Saunders Fired « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wwj.com/Flip-Flops---Saunders-Fired-As-Pistons-Coach/2301189

(Message edited by News950 on June 03, 2008)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good deal, any ideas of a prospective coach to replace him?

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this means that Joe D is going to keep the core group of players at least for one more year. Joe will make some moves such as playing the younger guys more. I think that the core group had tuned Flip out(Sheed). I would look for Curry or as a longshot Avery Johnson as a replacement. Either way the new coach will have an advantage since next year Sheed will be playing for a new contract and the team/coach will have leverage over him.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8023
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...

Not unexpected though. I feel for the guy on a personal level; he seemed like a really personable sort of guy. He always seemed friendly and cordial with the press, fans and his team. But in the tough business of the NBA, it's also about results.

He had a talented bunch of guys and for whatever reason, he couldn't will them or mesh them together to win more titles.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 915
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Think maybe sheed will go for a draft pick, but it will be interesting will Avery Johnson, or Mark Jackson be our next head coach???

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 916
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow they are saying on espn that it may be Michael curry

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANK YOU JOE! Curry, Isiah, or Laimbeer would suit me fine!...and then, do whatever it takes(understanding contractual obligations) to get Marcus Camby or Ron Artest (even if you have to trade Tayshaun, Mcdyes, Amir, and a draft pick)...Camby or Artest would be a great compliment for Rasheed Wallace!

imagine this starting five....

Chauncey
Hamilton
Wallace
Camby or Artest
Maxiell

blksoul-atcha!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8026
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure why but I've been favoring Avery Johnson. It's probably because he seems to have a decent demeanor about things; he's fiery when he needs to be and level headed at the right times as well. Temperment??

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About Time! I hope Sheed is next. It was obvious by his jovial attitude towards the opposing teams that he doens't care whether they win or lose in the playoffs.

Blksoul: I hope you're kidding....

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talented big men are rare so Flip was forced to put up with Sheed probably 2 more yrs than he wanted to. He finished with a .715 winning percentage, highest ever among Piston coaches. He was a reflection of the team, very good for the long regular season but not quite championship material come playoff time. His pre-game speeches that we got a glimpse of on TV were not exactly Knute Rockne material.
One other thing, I thought it very unfair that Freep ran a headline the day after the last game that said, "Fire Flip?"

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Artest can never wear a Pistons jersey. I would never go to another game again.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Curry it is

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080609/SPO RTS03/80609039

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.