Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Sidney Crosby « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 576
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NHL's poster boy came up a bit short. You know the league brass was foaming at the mouth to see Sid The Kid carry the cup and the Conn Smythe. He has a lot of talent, but he's clearly not ready. You have to learn to lose to learn to win. He seemed very frustrated and whiney. As the CBC announcers stated, Sid does not kill penalties, Pavel and Hank do. His defensive game needs some work, as does his faceoff skills. His time will come. The Penguins need to pick up Rick Nash from Columbus so we can see that great Pittsburgh line of Crosby Stahl and Nash.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 624
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clever

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6938
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it. The "Woodstock Line".

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sid has got some growing up to do. Stevie Y had more
class at his age.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 524
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, captain of a Stanley Cup finalist at age 20. He should be ashamed. He needs to grow up.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8040
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sid MIGHT grow into the role of being a true leader. It happened to our Steve Yzerman. He started out as a huge goal scorer but it wasn't until he matured and became a complete player (BOTH ends of the ice) that he won the Cup. Yzerman earned the respect of his team by willing to lay down in front of booming slapshots, playing on a second line, playing through adversity/ pain and doing what it took to win. No offense but Sid Crosby has yet to do any of that.

Maybe one day.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 652
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera: If that trade did come true and the Wings and Pens were to meet in the Cup again I suppose Deja Vu would be apropos.

Downriviera

Post Number: 587
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or: Almost Cut My Beard

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 562
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, sign Bryan Young (cut by the Oilers this year). The whole band will be back together.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Crosby should be criticized at 20 years of age. I'm not his fan but what can you expect?

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TY Stotter.

As long as this kid doesn't get seriously hurt, I think we are in for an excellent hockey career from him. Remember Tiger Woods when he was younger. He learned over 3-4 years how to handle himself in public and during interviews. I can only imagine how many interviews Crosby is expected to sit in on. And on top of that, how many extra-curricular activities does he have to do throughout the year. Give the kid a break.

He barely gets his childhood and young adult years to himself. He has to share it with not only the sport of hockey, but with the public also. Give him some room. Don't forget, he is good for the sport also. Contrary to what the league tries to shape out of him, let him do his own thing.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Tkshreve. My family has billeted players from the OHL (Plymouth Whalers) and these kids are just kids. There is a lot of expectation of them to play like adults, act like adults, but they are really just boys. Sidney has had a lot of pressure put on him, and he will do well, it may just take a few years for him to learn everything that Stevie Y learned.

Downriviera

Post Number: 614
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just think the NHL put way to much pressure on him. What about Corey Perry. Came up at the same time, but the NHL did not promote him. Perry completely outplay Crosby in the Memorial Cup game a couple years ago, which Perry's London Knights team won. And now Perry has a cup with Anaheim. Crosby has tons of potential, just leave him alone and let him learn.

9936sussex,

Very cool that your family has billeted OHL players. I highly recommend taking in a Whalers game. Excellent hockey and a chance to see the up and coming stars in the league Gretsky and Yzerman played in.

9936sussex

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera: It has been fun. We've had season tickets for a long time, and decided to billet after our neighbors started doing it. One thanksgiving we had 5 hockey players for dinner--2 turkeys and a ham, 4 dozen cookies, we were done with dinner! I've never seen such appetites!

Downriviera

Post Number: 615
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a story of a family billeting a player for the first time. On his first day at the house, the woman had prepared dinner for her husband and kids and the new player and put it all in the fridge. She told the player there was some food in the fridge for him. Later when she went to get the dinner for her family from the fridge, it was all gone. The player ate everything.

If you remember Jared Newman on the Whalers, I coached him when he was a mite.

9936sussex

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds familiar. They burned a lot of calories at practice, and would need a lot to fill up again. Plus, they were still growing....I was always amazed at what they could put away.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newman...lol...what ever happened to that ox? He went to my HS i believe...hell...for some reason a LOT of the whalers went to my HS...so my sister was friends with a lot of them, and therefore, I met a lot of them

Downriviera

Post Number: 621
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was in Carolina's system for a while, Florida Everblades of the ECHL. Last I heard he's out of hockey now.

D_mcc

Post Number: 721
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the whalers went the way of the carolina system...Just look at Damian Surma

Downriviera

Post Number: 625
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember their first year in the OHL, they were the Compuware Ambassadors and played at Cobo Arena. They had the orange and brown corporate colors for Compuware. A guy sitting behind me at one of the games kept yelling Go Cleveland because the uniforms looked like the Cleveland Browns.

D_mcc

Post Number: 722
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I played hockey with Vig and a bunch of those kids growing up. I remember when they were the junior red wings and all the canadian kids were walking around my high school too.

Since you coached Newman, I assume you coached in LP?

Downriviera

Post Number: 628
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and a couple years in AP. When the parents and politics became to much I got out, and continued my illustrious career playing in the local senior beer leagues. Its a shame Ilitch kicked the Jr. Wings out of the Joe. I really enjoyed those games, as did thousands of others. Even though the tickets were mostly free, you still had all those people coming into Detroit and spending money. What was wrong with that?

D_mcc

Post Number: 724
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much, I grew up playing in the DHA, and moved to a certain downriver school for HS, had a decent run there, but am more than aware of how the APHA likes to run itself, never heard anything bad about LPHA...Couple National championships aren't bad

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Or: Almost Cut My Beard"
Good one Down Riviera

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well getting back to Crosby, I personally dont like him as a player. I am not goin to deny he is one of the best offensive players in the NHL, but he cannot play defense at all. And i have seen him cry and whine about penalty's from back in Juniors to now. But i honestly dont think he will come close to breaking Gretzky's records either.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 634
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But i honestly dont think he will come close to breaking Gretzky's records either.

Is that the standard? In the game as it's played today, Gretzky wouldn't break Gretzky's records.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea of course not he played in a different era of hockey all together. but if he were playing in the league today where the gaolies are extremely better and less scoring than the 80's, he would still be racking up the most points in the NHL year after year.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.