Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through June 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 632
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool stuff JC!

Zitro

Post Number: 633
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This used to hang on the back of our house. We would keep it wound, as the story goes my mother said on more than one occasion one of the kids would come sneaking in from the alley and pull it. She used to get a big kick out it because it had an internal bell that would sound even though it wasn't hooked into the DFD, and needless to say a kids fence flipping skills would be put to the test. Flipping a fence was an acquired skill.

Fb

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was another priest listed as well.
Fr.Paul Xuereb served as associate pastor of St. Jude Parish, Detroit (1975-77)
I don't remember him at all, but that's not surprising considering we moved in 73

Jcole

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is really cool Z. I can just picture some kid trying to get over the fence and getting stuck and thinking they were gonna get 'got'

(Message edited by jcole on June 05, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also from the historical DFD archives is a set of solid brass door knobs from a firehouse.

dn

Zitro

Post Number: 637
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also from the historical DFD archives is a set of solid brass door knobs from a firehouse.

Jcole

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also very cool. What firehouse was your dad stationed at?

Zitro

Post Number: 638
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Helen & Miller was the one he spent the most time, but they he would move around the eastside here and there over the years.

Jcole

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you ever use the door knobs on any doors in your house?

Zitro

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful everyone, the bats are out of the belfry on the other eastside threads.

Jcole

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Helen and Miller station is still there. I just looked it up on Google. There's nothing else there, but the fire station is.

Zitro

Post Number: 640
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they don't really fit the motif.

Jcole

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had some police uniform buttons from my dad that I used to sew on coats and blazers.

Zitro

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had boots and a helmet but I donated them to the Firehouse restaurant on Groesbeck so they could display them. I know they've closed so I don't know what happened to them other than their still in the McDonalds family somewhere.

Zitro

Post Number: 642
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That reminded me I kept this from the helmet.

hel

Jcole

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they reopened on Gratiot north of Mt Clemens. The other one is still open on 22 mile and Schoennher.

Jcole

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link to the Firehouse owned by Gary McDonald
Firehouse

Zitro

Post Number: 643
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be one on Harper and Metro Pkwy, maybe the one on 22 mi. still has the stuff.

(Message edited by zitro on June 05, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so cool you have this stuff, and you kept it all this time. As I said before, my brother got most of Dad's cop stuff. I got a desk pen and some buttons, and his 35 anniversary book, which I've kept hidden from my family for a long time

Zitro

Post Number: 644
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that link JC: One of the brothers lost his son when he was just a rookie I think he had less than 3 months on the job and went into a building and the ceiling collapsed on 3 men. Extreme tragedy

Jcole

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That IS tragic. I always feel so bad when I hear of a policeman or firefighter losing their lives in the line of duty.

Zitro

Post Number: 645
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It always hit's close to home for sure

Jcole

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to worry my self sick over my dad all the time, especially during and after the riots in '67. My mom told me then that the only time she would worry is when a Police car pulled up with two officers who weren't my dad. I guess back then they sent two officers out when there was a shooting.
Well, one time, we were sitting on the porch while dad was on afternoons, and a hearse pulled in the driveway. My sister and I freaked, and all the neighbors came out.My mother just sat there. It turned out to be my weird ass cousin who worked at a funeral home and thought it would be funny.
My mom just said, 'See, I told you when I would worry.'

Zitro

Post Number: 646
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real funny, as your stroking out.

Jcole

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I think having a cop for a dad helped make me the high strung being I still am to this day. Some people are cut out for it, and some aren't. I'm an aren't

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is so great that you have treasured these family heirlooms. We're having our family picnic on Sunday -generally 100+ - and Betty and I are bringing a table of "family history" for the cousins, their kids and their kids to enjoy. I made a couple stained glass "family trees"--- hanging several 50 yr+ family pictures enclosed in leaded glass from a couple of branches I saved from the Christmas tree. We love our family history - and even more getting together with our family!

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can only imagine the stress - and pride - of being the child of a cop or firefighter!

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG............are you bringing the st. jude relic to your picnic?........that was your assignment for today!

Jcole

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7kk, I looked at the St. Jude the Saint section on the SJS church website, and it didn't say a word about the relic.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm.........I should have looked last sunday.......didn't even think about it til that night of course...........maybe fr. bob doesn't know about it?..........tell you what..next re-union/clean-up i'll bring a hammer and shovel and we'll see for ourselves!..........J: I'll let you and CFG do the technical paperwork with the Archdiocese after we're done....