Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through June 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame: Your folks got to WW just as the wave was starting to build. I was recruited from WMU by Robert Tower in the fall of '62. He died in '88...I was the deputy supt. in Anchorage, AK at the time but was able to visit him for an hour in the hospital about two weeks before he died of adult onset leukemia. I can picture the guy who was principal at Charwood but can't recall his name...Burt something. I can get it if you would like to know. To tell the truth I don't know if Charwood is still there or not...my hunch is not. I think Hank Sienkiewicz was principal at Westwood in your era...but its possible that he was a few years earlier...he died of some weird infection a couple of years ago. After he left WW he was superintendent of a district near East Lansing. I think Gerry Hagerman was principal at Parkwood..either Gerry or Ron Moore...Ron later became the WW superintendent. Gerry retired and lives somewhere upstate. As far as I know Ron still lives in Warren. I remember Linda Hysler...a real party girl. I also remember Don Klickus...not certain if I can update you on him. My primary contact back to WW is Ron Marino...he was my principal at Shadywood and was asst. superintendent when I was promoted. We still work together on occasion...we were working as consultants in Mexico for a couple of weeks last fall for the U.S. Dept. of State Office of Overseas Schools...Ron has a long history with them...and I've done some of the same kind of work with another division of the State Department.

One of the things that's interesting about WW is that something like 15-20 of us went on to become superintendents all over the country. Mr. T really did hire the best and brightest.

If I remember right St. Sylvester's was next door to Shadywood on Frazho...is that right?

One of my fourth grade students...and the daughter of my secretary at Maplewood...is active in the alumni association...her maiden name is Cheryl Murphy...don't know her married name. I'm still in contact with her mother.

The Woods was the highlight of my 40 year career...I spent an awful lot of time and energy trying to make it happen again...came close a couple of times...but never the same...it was a special time.

Alzheimer's is an ugly disease...I'm sorry that you had to go through it. I hope that you've found peace.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Sienkiewicz! Wow, that's right! Yeah, Mr. Tower was a formidable character, all right. But he did have the right stuff for the job. He is rightly revered.

Shadywood was on Frazo all right, but SS School is off Gerald between Campbell and Aline. Ron Moore was honored a few years back: http://warrenwoods.misd.net/Al umni/Link2005.pdf

I looked this up: In 1st grade I had Mrs. Rich, 2nd was Miss/Mrs? Schwinn (or something like that). Kindergarten was at Charwood on Schoenherr with Miss Hurst, who played piano beautifully. Her mom was also a kindergarten teacher who came in sometimes. Mrs. Hurst looked to be about 100, real, real old.

Well, goblue, glad to make your acquaintance; I got a great education at the Warren Woods system. I was the first in my family to attend & graduate from college and did way better than all right. Thanks to all teachers for what they do.

Goblue

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esd: Believe me...you have no idea how formidable a character Mr. Tower truly was. He had been a B-17 pilot in WWII...was shot down over Holland and spent 3 years as a POW. He was one tough guy...but the nicest gentleman. The only mistake he wouldn't tolerate was when you did something dumb...and then did it again. I got my butt chewed real good one time. His attitude was...if you have an idea, try it...if it doesn't work don't do it again. I could sit here for hours and bore the daylights out of you with Robert Tower stories. The level of respect we had for him was beyond measure...to this day...none of us would ever refer to him as anything other than Mr. Tower or Mr. T. When we were all working together he was sometimes "The Old Man"...but that was strictly behind his back and still with great respect...he was in his late 40's and we were all pretty much in our late 20's-early 30's. It was a high energy, high creativity, and fun school district. Your thoughts are very kind...I'm really pleased that our work helped to give you that jump start in life...I wasn't the first in my family to go to college...my older sister was the first a few years before me.

By the way.....thanks for the link...sorry, I don't recognize any of the names of teacher's you mentioned...likely I knew them but not real well. PTA meetings were all held on the same night of the month...after which we would all...teachers, principals, Mr. T, and parents...would gather at a place like DiMambro's for beer, etc. Those were fun days.

Its nice to exchange messages with you...GB

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Does 7 &K know that you were an EDUCATOR .... (cough) .... Oh! Sorry - we all agreed to be nice to 7 & K and pray for the best

Goblue

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Oh yeah...we gotta be nice to him...marshmellows in the Whammo.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, ES: If you’re looking for 7K he’s taken refuge in the St. Jude thread and is hiding behind the Catholic girls. If we go there or they will sic the nuns on us.

Goblue

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, ES: My days of trying to get in the habit are long since over...don't need to go there.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/OD: I kicked the habit and stayed at MT Hope Methodist at 7 and Morang ...

Goblue

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well...I didn't exactly "kick" the Habit...but it wasn't a place that I wanted to stay permanently.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb: Were you the guy who started phrase: Habit Forming .... ?

Goblue

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I think that phrase came from a former member of the Sisters of Dubuque...a former "friend".

Eastside61

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB; Like you and your leadership I have always supported the clergy ... 24/7 and with various positions ... cough!

Goblue

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: AB was a good ol' Chicago girl...she climbed over the wall in the early 80's...had some incredible stories to tell...and was a real fun party girl.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You have AB of the Dubugue Order ... and I have the Sisters from the Southeastern Faculty to remember... Isn't religion uplifting?

Goblue

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Praise the Lord...for keepin' us out of jail...and for not catching anything that couldn't be cured!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Praise the Lord ... For Keepin' us out of jail ... and for having health insurance ...

Goblue

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Amen to that...I had some struggles over the years with the MI Educ. Assoc...but they kept their eye on the ball...with good health insurance along with the pension.

"Sisters from the SE Faculty"...uh, you want to say a little more about that?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Not their biological sisters .... I was more or less talking SE neighborhood talk about hanging with various SE 'Sisters" who taught at the corner of Goethe and Fairview .... That is why god invented Fancells at Conner / Warren and other bars off of woodward that the Cass Tech Sisters also frequented .... along with the SE group .... ramble ramble...and then there was Sinbad's ....and finally a bar below Jefferson call "Sewer by the Seaway".....

Goblue

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I assumed not biological sisters...I figgered RE and me had learned you better than that!

Ah, the great Eastside bars...Sinbad's, Mermaid's Cave...there was another...blanking on the name...down around the Ponchatrain...used to hang out there the summer I worked delivering mail inside and out for City Bank in the Penobscot Bldg. The summer of '60...A GREAT summer to be 19!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: In actual Heilmann news you played for the EASTTown Disks or Dicks???? What was the Logo Like on your Uniforms ????

Goblue

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Logo? You gotta be kidding...the word hadn't been invented in 1959...name of the sponsor on the front...number on the back...that was it...Black and red with a little white trim jerseys...had to supply our own pants and socks.

(Message edited by GoBlue on June 03, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Father Bananahead as I always ask for your forgiveness ... Easttown Dicks ???? I thought that the Logo might ..... never mind! Rumor has it that 7&K paid a top price for the uniform on E-bay .... do to the strong respect he holds for you.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'd like to have one of those old jerseys...unfortunately mine was stolen while I was at WMU along with my Gordie Howe autographed stick...campus police caught a guy from MSU but he had already fenced the goods.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: MSU guy pin it on the Spartans again... sure!

Goblue

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: He also swiped a box of condoms...had pulled one (WMU size small) over his head as a disguise...almost asphixiated...I guess he confused Trojans with Spartans.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You wouldn't have wanted them back anyway after they had been colored green and white.

Goblue

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: The only reason they would have been green was from mold...I never heard of a Bronco who used the small ones...those were sent to East Lansing in a CARE package about once a year where I understand they were shared after laundering.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB:-OD- Just nothing better to do than blast the MSU once again... so I am going over to 7&K's house to help him get his resume done for posting. Anybody have any klennix? I know where I am wanted ... back on Eastwood ....cough!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Good luck. Just don't offend him again. You know how sensitive he is.

Goblue

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yer right...nuthin' better to do around here...but...don't go away mad...we want ya...how much fun would the world be without a Spartan to boot around every once in awhile?