Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through June 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, thanks, like they'll listen to me. Are you plannning on visiting me in Holy prison? Do they still have the Inquisition?

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well..gee, ya know........if someone has the SACRED candle sticks in their living room................i'm tellin ya J.......NPR certainly will immortilize you....all things considered of course..............

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 703
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&kk, in calling the candle sticks sacred, you're not suggesting the relic is in one of those? That would be a little weird.

Usually all the relics are located beneath a special square plate in the main altar.

Jcole

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I remember them telling us in grade school that it's in a slab of marble on the top of the altar under the altar cloth. I was under the impression that all catholic churches had to have a relic of their patron in the altar. I always wonder how they manage that, especially when burial places of saints aren't known.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&k..............you mean the altar stone?

Jcole

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, Speaking of Saints, do you remember sometime in 6th or 7th grade being taken to a movie theater to see a movie about the teen-age martyr, St. Maria Goretti, who refused to have sex with her neighbor when she was twelve, so he killed her? I think it was supposed to be an object lesson for us girls. I don't remember if the boys had to go or not.

7andkelly

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg can you check on this for us...without the hammer and shovel of course?

And Z, please double check at your end and make sure it's not in the candle sticks.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure do remember going to the movie, but not the movie - must have fallen asleep - maybe a long hockey game the night before.
I talked to Lynn at SJ about the relic and she's going to do a little intel for us - will keep everyone posted. I'd hate to visit some slackers in the pokey for doing some late night digging!

7andkelly

Post Number: 705
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe it's in that marble slab you have from when they moved the altar so the Priest would face the people!

7andkelly

Post Number: 706
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, I wasn't digging! The tunnel was already there...I swear.

7kk, I think you've got it!

Jcole

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, do you also remember being taken to see 'Yours, mine and ours' at the movie theater over by the Shopper's Fair on 8 Mile when we were probably about the same age? I think that was another lesson about what it meant to be a Catholic woman, and having a gazillion kids without complaint.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey gang!.........please don't unforumtize me ( I made that up!) but I KNOW that somewhere in front of the church (maybe the St. Jude Chapel) there's a black marble cornerstone that says "inside this cornerstone.ect.ect..

Jcole

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And one more movie one.
Z might remember these. It seems to me that St. Jude must have rented out a theater for us once in a while, because I remember two other movies with the school. One was about Santa Claus and some Martians and the other one was Don Knotts in 'The Incredible Mr. Limpett'. I think these were at the Ramona
Am I alone in this, or did the school take us to these?

7andkelly

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, I remember going to a movie at the Ramona with SJS. What a zoo! And another one at Eastland Theatre within days of it's opening...maybe the Munster's, or Batman or something TV related.

7andkelly

Post Number: 708
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&kk, you know this means you're going to have to go back this week to sort this all out. Go next week, and you're on the rolls again! Speaking of rolls, it's your turn to bring them for the after Mass social.

Jcole

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, the first one I mentioned was in 1964 and it was called 'Santa Claus Conquers the Martians'. A dumber movie was never made, unless it was 'The Incredible Mr. Limpet' which was also in 1964. They probably didn't take us as soon as they came out so maybe the following year, at least on Mr. Limpett.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to relics. I always wondered about the seemliness of hacking up some poor guy's skeleton so that there could be relics in altars. Isn't the priest bending and kissing the altar a sign of reverence to the saint whose relic is contained therein?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 647
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked the SACRED candlesticks carefully and found no evidence of a relic. I'm sending the piece of marble I have to a forensics lab to be x-rayed. 7kk you can rest assured if there was any tomb raiding going on the relic will be returned to it's rightful owner. Although that maybe St. Jude himself so you may have to do a little more research and find out where he is.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, St. Jude is the patron saint of hopeless cases.....and if the shoe fits.......maybe there's a reason we're all connected to SJS....... Just a random Friday thought.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post # 2,000 on the SJS thread. We're doing pretty good keeping this up

Zitro

Post Number: 651
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: I'm glad you posted #2000, I'm surprised the 3 Mouseketeers from the eastside didn't threadjack the moment, although it is early and I'm sure it takes a while for their meds to wear off.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I'm a little late in joining the relic discussion. I had always thought the relic of St. Jude was located in the inside corner stone of black marble (located just inside the old communion rail by the St. Jude chapel). The cornerstone had inscribed the date (I believe Sept 1955) and the statement of "this corner stone contains the relic of St. Jude".... Has that cornerstone changed during the renovation of the church? CFG?

Jcole

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may very well be right, KR, but then what's in the Altar stone? Is there another relic in that?

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly what I'm trying to say KR.............thanks for chiming in........you and I probably sat on (or at least leaned) on poor Jude himself back in the day......I'm not talking altarstone or candle sticks (but those candle sticks ARE a great memento Z!).........

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll find out these answers to all these questions and more this weekend....and yes, Z, we're all jealous of your candlesticks! I think if we find the relic, we have to give it back - it's got to be in the rulebook somewhere.

Zitro

Post Number: 653
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, you find out where he's buried and if I find his bone chip I'll make sure it gets returned to the rightful owner.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

deal!

Zitro

Post Number: 654
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Luck!

Jcole

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're mission, should you choose to accept it...

Zitro

Post Number: 655
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I just want you to tell good luck. We're all counting on you" - Dr. Rumack