Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through May 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you haven't heard Leyland's response to this and other recent comments, you'll want to have a listen to this:

http://www.971theticket.com/ep isode_download.php?contentType =36&contentId=2266977

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, he sounds like Hulk Hogan channeling Ozzie Guillen in that interview.

(Message edited by focusonthed on May 20, 2008)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that tirade must have worked. Verlander can suddenly pitch and the bats have come alive. 7-1 in the 5th.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, what a surprise; tonight, they're playing like they're alive, and winning. I'm glad to see it, but it's a damned shame that it takes a fuckin' earthquake to move the furniture, y'know?

I'm glad to see Leyland become so angry. I like him better, already. I've been pretty pissed off at him, lately, and I'm not comfortable with feeling that way, because I like the guy, but when he admits to bearing part of the responsibility for our recent malaise, that's one damned statement with which I quite agree.

The funny thing is that I don't see anything so bad about the stuff said by Grilli, Inge, and Guillen, nor do I see anything so bad about their having said it. Reporters ask questions, and (sometimes) players answer them. If the answer puts anybody in a "bad light," it looks like the player has gone running to the press and ripped on somebody. That's not fair. Just like with Inge, during Spring Training: "So, how do you feel about catching, Brandon?" "I really don't want to catch." Headline: INGE: FUCK CATCHING

I understand Leyland's anger; who better, to understand anger, than Yours Truly? Still, Grilli (nearly-useless asshole that he is) made a worthwhile statement, and I think he had a legit point. As for Guillen, I'm not quick to judge his comments, because he is not fluent with English, and what he says could be a couple of degrees away from what he was trying to express. Even so, I don't see anything particularly out-of-the-way in his comments. Same with Inge, although I would say, as much as I like Brandon, that the lower one's Batting Average is, the quieter one should be.

I wonder if a deeper reason for Leyland's eruption is that some of these comments suggest that team chemistry is, in fact, an important matter. That assertion directly contradicts his earlier flat ruling out of the significance of chemistry. I thought he was dead wrong at the time, I still think so, and now it appears that some players-- not reporters, not guys bending elbows at a bar, not blustery, raving Ravine, but guys who actually play professional baseball-- also believe that chemistry is important. Possibly, part of Leyland's ire is triggered by the sensation that A) maybe, team chemistry IS important, B) ours is fucked up, and C) that is one area which would be difficult for him to effect.

I dunno. Maybe a good fight with the White Sox would help.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the bats have woken up. 9-1 in the 3rd and they have chased the starting pitcher for Seattle after 2 and 1/3 innings.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4813
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are doing what they are capable of, finally: smashing bad teams.

I agree that Leyland's words in recent days are called-for and helpful.

We need to settle into our season series with divisional foes Cleveland and Chicago; hopefully this team will click a little better thanks to the motivation of beating those rivals and trying to move up quickly in the division.

(Message edited by mackinaw on May 22, 2008)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep trying to be hopeful because most of the bats will heat up with the weather but the starting pitching is another story. Rogers struggles to get through 4-5 innings every time out. If his pitches get much of the plate look out.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7890
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've shredded this team pretty well this year. Justifiably so because they have been playing spotty at best but right now, I'd say it's also high time we praise them for the sweep of the Mariners. The bats came alive and the team did what it had to do.

Nicely done, Tigers.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 918
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it continues against the Twins...
Please stay hot!

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 631
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a neat article on the home run hitting binge that the Mud Hens are on.

Toledo offered A-Rod a contract last winter.

I'm not sure he could beat out Hessman :-)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports /baseball/2008-05-23-mud-hens- homers_N.htm

Emu_steve

Post Number: 632
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not pushing the panic button but Tigs do have some hot hitters in Toledo.

Jeff Larish deserves a shot.

Although is he going to put Cabrera on the bench ;)

Still no pitching in MiLB ready for MLB.

Ravine

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sort of feel like a shithead for pointing out this fact, but in the last thirty days, Jair Jurrjens' ERA is 2.25, and Andrew Miller's ERA is 3.00.
Damndamndamndamndamndamn

Emu_steve

Post Number: 633
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

If we can merge my post and yours then we can come to the conclusion that DET traded pitching which they couldn't afford to trade for hitting which it now appears they could have found 50 miles south of Detroit.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 634
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

Dombrowski is a great GM but these trades look dubious in 20-20 hindsight.

BTW, if the team gets a lift from when Zumaya and Rodney come back we might forget the 1st half of the season.

401don

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many leads have the Tigers lost after six innings? I don't think Zumaya and Rodney will make any difference at this point. The scary thing about the off season moves is all the extensions for huge $. It makes it very difficult to make changes.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 635
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you, 401don.

The big problem appears to be starting P and we traded two prime prospects.

Will this be Kenny last year???

I will research the kid Bodine (sp) at Toledo. He has 8 wins I've read.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7920
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

19-3? Sorry I was watching the Wings game, switched over and saw this amazing score. Wow.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playoff possibilities?

Ravine

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, think nothing of it. It was an amusing treat, the Tigers whipping on the Twins so savagely, but it doesn't change anything. This team has no heart. I love baseball, and I love the Tigers, but This Year's Model sucks, really sucks.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 640
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will the Tigs and NYY make their move?

The NYY started slowly last year and again this year and are starting to warm up.

Rodney and Zumaya might be a PSYchological boost to the starters.

Let's wait until July 4 to see...

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

19-3? Sorry I was watching the Wings game, switched over and saw this amazing score. Wow.

What surprised me most was the two missed extra points.

401don

Post Number: 491
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for enjoying last night's blowout. We now return you to your regular programming.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lose a 0-0 game 1-0 in extra innings on a walk off bases loaded walk...

Tigers are like watching a continuing train wreck that lasts 6 months.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7940
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if losing it in extra innings bothered me more so than the idea that we couldn't generate a run with this potent line up. We had a multitude of chances to go ahead and we couldn't execute on them. Painful. It was a great pitching performance gone to waste and considering we scored NFL-esque points the other night and we couldn't generate one measly run just points out the inconsistencies that this team has.

I'm almost wondering if consistent losing like a few years back would be better than this roller coaster ride of "good play" and "bad play". At least then we had consistency!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

21-31

2nd consecutive walkoff, after leading in the 8th 2-0.

Looking more and more like a 100 loss season.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still scratching my head over pulling Bonderman when his pitch count was only in the mid 80's in the 8th. He pitched a great game, let him sink or swim on his own.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7953
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh to be a fly on the wall in that dugout as Jim Leyland and Chuck Hernandez spoke about Bondo prior to the hook. You'd think there was something they saw or knew that made the Skipper go out and yank him off the mound.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a bit strange... I say let him pitch.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garralaga=one of the Tigers' few pleasant surprises this season, and nearly pitched a SO tonight vs the Angels, before giving up a ninth inning, one out, two run HR by Izturis.

Then Jimbo yanked him...

Smogboy

Post Number: 7964
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mixed messages being sent here. You'd think that Leyland would want to preserve this young arm and would've given him the hook earlier on. The night before he tugged Bonderman out of there on an 80+ pitch count and he's supposed an experienced arm.

I'm wondering if there's even a lack of consistency from the Skipper himself now.