Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through May 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,

Brandy, the dog from Grand Blvd. and Moran, came to live at our house. He was part shepherd and part chow and looked like a red lion with a curly tail and black tongue. He smiled (a toothy sort of grin) when you pointed your finger at him, and he loved raw hot dogs. When the fire alarm went off, he would run into the middle of G. Blvd to stop traffic so the trucks could get out. He was also, apparently, the neighborhood stud.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe my dog came from Ladder 22. That was where dad was stationed the most back then. We had him from the time I was in about 5th grade until my 12th grade year (he was hit by a car). Poor firedogs heard sirens and went searching. I think those dogs loved the job just as much as our dads!

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if people know, but the Jackson Firemans Swapmeet is suppose to be this Saturday at the Jackson County Fairgrounds. 8-2. I believe there's a cover charge to get in.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd-I agree, that video story makes me sad and angry that we aren't supporting the folks who are protecting us. The story about the firefighters having their dinner stolen should not happen in a civilized society.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd : I know the four trucks are here. I haven't seen them on the street. I din't think about the academy. Thanks for the tip. TONY

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another place to shorten long URLs is

http://tinyurl.com/

Just copy the long address, go to that site and paste it in the box

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd : I got word today that L. Co. 14 and L. Co. 27 are in service with two of the new trucks.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, I see one of those companies regularly at fires. I'll have to check it out on my next shift. Gotta say I'm a fan of Pierce and I'm glad we've taken our fleet in that direction.

I looked on the detroitfirefighters.net web site and someone posted that the trucks were numbered 14, 24, 28 and 31. I'm guessing L27 got the one slated for L24 since L24 is closed every day.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd, Glad to hear you are pleased with Pierce.
The Web site is correct. Dan corrected me
L.28 is on the street,not 27.Hopefully
a tradition of Pierce will continue
ala Seagrave.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd, Dan corrected me.L.14 and 28 have new rigs.
The web site is correct.Glad to hear you
are a Pierce fan. Maybe D.F.D.will start a
tradition with Pierce like they had with
Seagrave.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D.F.D. You mentioned wanting to own a rig.
Here is your chance.The perfectly
restored '51 Seagrave of E.38 is on E bay
for a MERE 90 grand.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the one that's been on detroitfirefighters.net home page?

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No it's not, that sure is a nice one. The one they are working on will be used for FF funerals.

Dfd

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh OK. That's going to be mint when its finished!
$90,000.... still a better investment than real estate.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the article ages ago about the rig being reconditioned for FF funerals and was wondering how it was going and if there's a way to contribute. Hopefully it won't be needed for a while but I'm just curious.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to http://detroitfirefighters.net /
scroll down to apparatus restored E.38.
This is the rig we discussed early in this thread from Highland Park station at Hamilton and Puritan. This is the rig on E-bay.
To contribute to the funeral rig make checks
to the Detroit Firemen's Fund,Restore the Rig.
Mail to :Detroit Firemen's Fund
250 W.Larned Suite 202
Detroit Mich.48226

Mtm

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Tony! I'll get a check out right away. Hopefully he won't need it for several more years but my Dad is turning 87! today and is still in great health.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's my understanding that the rig will be used only for FF in the state who have been killed while on duty. It would be nice if it could be used for retirees, though! I know dad would appreciate his last ride to be on a rig.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

saw a ladder co. on McGraw St. other day. Think it's Co. 37. Sweet sight. There's a slogan on the bldg., can't recall it.

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladder 22... "Double Deuce" Mcgraw West of Livernois... Engine 37 is a closed Engine House at Central & Dix now used by EMS

(Message edited by maddog on May 07, 2008)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks maddog, yes, that was it.

Dfd

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't in Detroit, but it reminds me of the firehouses in "classic DFD" at detroitfirefighters.net

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm: Glad to hear Dad is well.Hope he can be
like Ray Vallad. Ray lived to be 100.
Ray made more money in retirement than he
did working.Thanks for your contribution.
The rig is close to completion.As with all
projects, funding regulates progress.
Detroitteacher: I agree with you.Line of duty
deaths only is my understanding.

Dfd

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, have you heard anything about the firebrat t-shirts?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd: I have not heard a thing! Last I heard the t-shirt guy was backed up on orders. That was a while ago. Next time I see my contact, I'll ask him about them. I know he's busy with the Memorial rig, too...

Dfd

Post Number: 392
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you having the field day this year?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard anything about a Field Day.

Dfd

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D.F.D members, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
Dfd

FEO Branch

Mtm

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony_Box42,

Glad to contribute. Like DetriotTeacher, I'm kind of disappointed that retirees would not be able to use it. Dad was on the DFD for nearly 40 years. I remember Chief Vallad being on the department and am glad that he made it so long. I hope my Dad does, too. As in the Polish birthday song "Sto Lat" or may you live 100 years.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D.F.D. : Field Day will be Sunday August 17th
at the ZOO. The Detroit Zoo not E.53's
Mtm: Thanks for explaining "Sto Lat ".I have
heard the wish for years .I thought it ment
" Happy Birthday ".
A date to keep in mind. E.31's Centennial
celibration.Saturday July 19th.
The REAL E.31 will be there.
When I get a date on the Frankenmouth
Muster I will post.