Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through June 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Sweat pours down CFG's forehead)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The church! What is it?

Jcole

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a big building with parishoners, but that's not important right now

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as the sweat pours down on CFG -
nothing new - reminds her of the past Sunday. -
Shirley -you don't expect me to go on this mission alone!

Zitro

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am serious and don't call me Shirley

(Message edited by zitro on June 06, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude's thread was a rough place - the seediest dive on the wharf. Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just an EASY warm-up gang!........wait til we get to finding a relic of a Guardian Angel! that might be tough...........

(Message edited by 7_and_kelly_kid on June 06, 2008)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't resist, Z

Jcole

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, In one of the offices I was at today, the office mgr’s fiancé used to teach at St. Jude. He got let go 4 years ago when they re-organized as East Catholic Elementary, but he had been there for 15. He was friends with the organist. I think she said his name was Paul. Do you remember him?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I had left SJ for about 10 years after they changed the interior of the church. I didn't care for the pastors that followed, but showed up for Mass and eventually changed parishes and went to AG. Betty never left, but I really only came back as a parishoner in the fall. Father Robert's the one that made the difference and has made me feel welcomed back home. I'm not familiar with any of the organists from previous years.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even as a little kid, I wondered how they got ahold of a piece of the real St. Jude who was last seen about 2,000 years ago.
Inquiring mind want to know.

Jcole

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that in the middle ages, selling relics of the saints was a real big scam that the Catholic church ran. At some church in England, they had a (supposed)vial of the Virgin Mary's breast milk. Now you try to keep THAT liquid in the 16th century. They raised a lot of money selling relics and indulgences: a 'pass' from a sin, IF you paid for it. One of the big relics, and still 'available' when I was a kid, was a sliver from the real Cross. How do you verify something like that?

Zitro

Post Number: 658
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: It's called blind faith

Jcole

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying all relics are fake, I'm just saying it was used as a fund raiser in the middle ages.

Eastburn

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then there was the gruesome practice of dicing up someone's skeleton, saint or not, to supply the relic market. I suspect a lot of soup bones got into the act.
It is, however, as Z says "blind faith. Many bought into it and it may have brought them closer to their higher power so what's the harm? The selling of relics & indulgences, on the other hand........................ Wonder if there's a market for such things today. Could be the start of a retirement job for me.
Have a great day, gang. Off to the city for my niece's graduation party. She's the product of one of our few remaining Catholic high schools - Ladywood. That place sure put her on the right track after her folks transferred her out of the public system. May have, figuratively, saved her life.

Jcole

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladywood was around when I was at Regina. It was one of our westside rivals.
Have fun.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've asked Lowell to separate the SJ thread from the Eastside Mega thread. IMHO, continuity of communication will be affected by adding additional threads......Sometimes success can be too good.

Eastburn

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon back, kids.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, fresh air.

We're right back where we started from...

Thank goodness too. The extra clicks were getting to me.

Zitro

Post Number: 670
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KR & thanks to Lowell for understanding. Indeed it's nice to come up for fresh air from all of that stagnant sewer water.

7andkelly

Post Number: 721
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting back to the subject of relevant relics, the following article should answer most of our questions on the subject:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathe n/12734a.htm

Zitro

Post Number: 671
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a Reader's Digest version?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above two are invitation responses to the Golden Jubilee celebration (printed July 7, 1991)

Eastburn can relate to Sr. Thomas Annete's response..
The school had more students than I thought with 1700 in the late 50s and two grades with double sessions.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally forgot about the "double sessions".....if I'm reading it right........we have to do 4th and 5th grade again?.....I know I'll do better in history this time ......there's so much less of it now!

Eastburn

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Sr. Thomas Annette - at least the name but can't put a face to it. I believe I had her as a teacher.

"Less history"???? There's a lot more. Those double sessions may explain my abject ignorance of certain subjects.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB........you're right....I phrased it wrong......anyway,........1/2 sessions are right..I only paid attention about 1/2 the time

Kellyroad

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sr, Thomas Annette was the principal of St. Jude from 54-60. She was there during my first grade. Did she also teach??

Jcole

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm baaaacck. Power just came back on. Yahoooo!! Now I can email, drink iced tea, have my air conditioner and my TV on, and talk to you all on the net. Life is good again.

Jcole

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the double post between here and St.Jude School and Church. I got confused about where I should be. Hopefully this is the right spot.

7andkelly

Post Number: 723
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, great news about your power restoration, but I'm hoping for just enough rain at COPA for them to call the game and erase those 8 runs scored against us. How long were you out?