Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through June 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: and we should never forget DN, MB, EO and Renee who we all missed out on

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: What do you mean "we" missed out on...Renee was delovely, delightful...and delicious.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Is Renee still doing Herpes research in Kalamazoo????

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: It never occurred to me before, but I'll bet you're right about 7&K being an outsider. In fact, now that I think of it I recall he was one of those Harper Woods hooligans we had to keep chasing back across the border. I bet if you look closely you can still see the acorn imprints on his skinny little but where we got him with our Whammos.

Goblue

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: Those eastside burbs had a hell of a lot of wannabes...they kept trying to sneak in...you could spot 'em right away with their pink & green shirts...they ran like hell with a couple of Whammo-ed acorns.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, GB: One of the reasons the Detroit roads are collapsing now is hooligans like 7&K and his protector Zitro who kept tunneling under them trying to sneak into the city.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/OD: Actually 7&K is code for 'Somewhere in Harper Woods' ....
Oh! Thanks "7" for your inability of post a resume!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 558
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "pissants" are cowering in the SJS thread. It's obvious their lack of a substantial resume and/or citations of significant societal contributions have rendered them unworthy for contributions in the Eastside Mega thread...especially considering their elementary and secondary education were in a "catholic" school system (cough).

BTW, If the regular contributors of the eastside thread could post their resumes (including Education, peer reviewed journal articles authored, and other citations, perhaps, just perhaps the relevance of any further dissertation may be weighed.LOL

Goblue

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Good to read you again...interestingly, I thought about posting a message to you today. My issue with 7&K plus Z was the comments about ES and me having done damage to kids throughout our careers...I spend 40 years fighting for kids...in fact, still am....I laid it all on the line in the public arena...I am not about to take any measure of shit from some jerk...7&K is very fortunate that he exists in cyberspace. I regret some of the postings that might have seemed to include you...they were not intended to do so. You seem like a very reasonable and nice guy...Jc seems like a nice woman...the other two need to stay clear.

In terms of resumes...mine wouldn't fit on this thread...I just counted since I really didn't know...36 publications...most peer reviewed...27 major consulting assignments...most for the U.S. Department of State in Latin America, but not all...8 dissertations chaired...CEO of a not-for-profit with 3200 employees and annual revenues of $160M. ES wrote his name once...does that count? OD is still writing in Fortran...he's the only one who can still read it. I had to convince both of them that the language of Latin America isn't Latin...them and George Bush!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I am still using chalk on black boards .... OD is shopping for a new box of 8 crayola crayons ... But one thing the three of us have learned (OD-GB-ES) is that redemption is possible - I need to get back to practicing my "Latin" for my trip to Mexico.... I will be vacationing with the Bush family in August.

Goblue

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: AHA! Ms. Freud gave extra credit for cleaning blackboard erasers! I'm willing to bet that you have never been able to get the chalk dust off of your hands...'fess up...you had a "thing" with her, didn't you? Was your "desk" time the reason for your hearing loss?

I'd be willing to contribute to the Greyhound bus ticket for Bush and family back to the Crawford ranch. I'm sure that Laura can get her job back as a librarian in the local kindergarten.

(Message edited by GoBlue on June 10, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb: I just put in two new batt. into the hearing aid ... when I found myself under the desk and she would slap her knees together ... well you have been in enough thunder storms to get the picture ... it was not a pleasant picture either...

Is there a cure for chalk dust poisoning yet ????

Goblue

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My understanding is that the cure for chalk dust is Grey Goose Vodka with an olive...I take a nightly dose.

Hmmmmm...thunder thighs, eh?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I have heard that one needs to be on the Grey Goose meds for a long time ... that is good!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB and ALL: IMHO, something gets lost in translation sometimes due to poorly understood witticism, one-up-manship, thread piracy, or simply due to lack of thick skin. That's too bad!
7andK happens to be one of the best documentarians (video, photo, and detailed personal observation in discuss detroit and facebook, (BTW, his academic/professional resume is quite comprehensive....not that it really matters in this forum). Zitro also has been very dynamic in forum discussions. There always seem to be hot button topics that seem to escalate into diatribes, some in jest, some poignantly personal.
GB: I trust your posting of credentials comment was tongue-in-cheek and perhaps stated defensively. On a personal level, without sounding over patronizing, many of the comments posted by you and your "tenured" colleagues have been very intuitive and well written..a joy to read.
My suggestions to everyone (mind you..my opinion)
1. Stick to thread topic (very challenging sometimes.)
2. Avoid using discuss detroit as a chat room
3. Witticism is fine but don't cross the line

Hopefully, everyone can get back to meaningful and intelligent dialogue regarding the east side.

In the words of Rodney King..."Can't we all get along?"

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Good to hear from you again….. GB’s credentials list is authentic. He’s always been very serious about his career. It’s his love life that he tends to exaggerate about a little, well a lot actually…. He’s right about the Latin through. That’s why I’ve never been below the border except areas of Tijuana where they speak English….. We do try to outdo each other in the one-up-manship, but it’s always been intended as good natured joshing between friends…. I should have no trouble staying on topic as my Fortran training helped me to develop a well structured thought process. ES and GB however, being academicians, lose focus easily and have a tendency to wander off in the weeds and never find their way back. You might want to repeat your post on the other threads because they will probably forget what you said after they leave this one. But without their (half) witty contributions these threads could become boring in short order…. Good luck in the peacemaking efforts. Be sure to shield your head and have the camcorder running when the billy clubs start swinging.

Goblue

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: You missed your calling...you shoulda been in the diplomatic corp...Lord knows this country needs leaders with your skills. Okay, okay...truce. I don't know how to say that for ES...he wants to try living in Bogata for awhile so he can improve his Latin vocabulary.

I am really glad to have you back...bouncing the ball with ES and OD is sorta like tennis off a backboard...if ya know what I mean. Between Fortran and Latin these guys are pretty predicable...you know those techies...and academicians who spent time on Haight-Ashbury. ES will be back soon...he shot himself in the foot with his Red Ryder BB gun...was mumbling something about not being drafted to Viet Nam. OD lives in a state of envy...having been transported to CA instead of spending the best years at Denby he missed the glories of SR, SH, ST, PW, etc, etc, etc...and never got to see SD in "full bloom"...so to speak...so he just fantasizes...while ES and I have true memories of Foot of Lakewood, Balduck, and Belle Isle...even if they are a tad cloudy.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not calling a truce until you guys promise to put your Whammo's away and promise to let the us kids play on the ant hill without fear of retribution.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z:KR:-OD:GB:7&K and others: I will be limping up Hayes with a white flag ... that damn BB gun never could shoot straight ... Oh ...Sorry ... stick to the topic... " I will be limping down Eastwood between Morang and Kelly to plant the White Flag at 15847 "

Col. ES 61 Proudly Representing EASTWOOD

Zitro

Post Number: 686
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duly noted ES, it will be nice to know the streets will be safe to walk once again.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: Truce… with the caveat that we still get to engage in some good natured ribbing. (You get to rib us too.) But I’m not sure about GB. Just one paragraph after praising KR’s reconciliation post he’s already lost focus, wandering into the weeds and making spurious allegations about ES and me. I think that Whammo is part of his anatomy. Good thing he doesn’t know how to load it.

Goblue

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: SD in full bloom was a sight to behold...I think she might have lived on Saratoga...OD missed the best part...but...that's hind sight.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!

Kelly Kissinger Road!

A brokered deal.

Peace in our time.

Could it be?

Zitro

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Oh yeah, good natured ribbing is absolutely allowed. You know us Catholic raised prodigies, we're well equipped smart asses, it was a matter of survival.

Zitro

Post Number: 691
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Be careful Begin and Sadat still kept an eye on each other.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Epps on Gratiot this morning and bought a Soviet Helmet ... which might be needed if things heat up again ...and Epps had one Extra Small leather helmet left with what to me looked like an open banana peel painted on it in bright yellow ... It was on hold for some clown who lives on Fordham .... There appeared to be a map of areas below Jefferson painted on the inside.....interesting..

Zitro

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Was that in the basement of Epps, I think that's where they kept the surplus war supplies.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Epps basement is also where they kept the goat chow. ES was hoping they still might have some.

GB:
Betty or Veronica? (I take Veronica; you take Betty.)
Ginger or Mary Ann? (I take Mary Ann; you take Ginger.)
SD or HT? (I take SD; need I say more?)

Zitro

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I've been meaning to ask you, how's your Sharks and their golf game coming along?

Goblue

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I think the Sharks were all using sand wedges in their last series.