Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through June 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 502
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Smogboy but as I've said before I think Bondo has a real problem with the strain all the hard stuff puts on his arm and the Tigers worry about how fragile he may be over the entire season based on last yr's injury and all the innings over the last 4 yrs at such an early age. Galarraga doesn't appear to put near as much strain on his arm with his delivery. How many starters have been succesful over the long term throwing only fastballs and sliders?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 591
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I'm just joining this discussion, but what is with them Tigers? Is this season just another case of "lets through money at a problem"?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 454
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zilch for #9 so far this season

2 hits

Polanco 0 for 3 Ks

Johjima steals home

Verlander 2-8

Absolutely pathetic 135 million dollar team.

Tigers frequently play like they are worth one hot and ready pizza.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on May 31, 2008)

401don

Post Number: 509
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time Mario says, "Let's hope this win today gives the Tigers some momentum" I want the camera on him so I can see if he's saying it with a straight face.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've won 3 of their last 4. What's the problem?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only 3 of 4, but an away series win, and the starting pitchers have gone into the 7th inning 5 out of the last 6 games. I could say it with a straight face today, easy.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet another walkoff loss by the Tigers, this morning, who apparently enjoy hovering around 10 games under .500

401don

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The poor kitty either just looked at the standings or he needs some of Guillen's Prep H.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That kitty's what I looked like after the Pens scored in OT.

401don

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cruceta designated for assignment. We waited all spring for the great Dominican hope and he's gone after a few weeks. I guess the other teams knew something after all.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 471
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the way we lose the game, lose the game, lose the game...

This is the way we lose the game...

...so early in the morning!!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah... The Tigers losing in the 2nd overtime was just as exciting as last night's Wings loss in the 3rd OT.

401don

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So ends the long playoff runs of the Pistons and Wings. We now turn your attention to the last place Tigers. It's deja vu all over again.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone think the Tigers have a chance? 11 games below .500 and 9 games out of 1st place. this is after 59 games have been played. It does not look good as they will need at least 90+ wins to have any kind of chance. It's very disappointing after all the hype that was given to them. Who would have guessed the Tiger season would be a wash in June?

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you think they'll need 90+ wins to take the Central?

20043_stotter

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe history? Are you serious about Tigers winning the division? They are playing at a .407 clip. The Ticket says they'll need 94 wins to have a chance at a wild card.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 709
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice win by the Tigs today!

We finally got some clutch hitting and some decent pitching.

401don

Post Number: 528
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time this year I lost track of whether it was a day or night game and heard the final score on the radio. That's the best sign of how the season is going.
On another note, my nephew insists on going to a couple of games later this month. I found some great below cost deals on Stubhub. So if you're buying, go there before Ticketmaster or the Box Office.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 720
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't even worry..look at the Diamondbacks and Rockies last year...or even the yanks...

i'll wait

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 650
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like Zumaya had a good inning at Toledo tonight.

Rodney doesn't look right though. Reports don't seem as good.

7andkelly

Post Number: 719
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F-Rod started the sixth with two strikeouts, then gave up a tater, walked a batter, and ended the inning with a strikeout.

Zoom gave up a leadoff single in the seventh, followed by a double play and a fly out.

Not bad for either pitcher. Hopefully, they didn't tweak anything, and we can see them back in the D sooner than later.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In order for the tigers to have 90 wins, they must play 30 games above .500 for the rest of the season. Is this team capable of this? Aready 10 games out and playing at a low .400 clip, it may be too high a mountain to climb. Too bad they are not good this year.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm more optimistic about Zumaya. At least the shoulder can be repaired and presumably made right.

Tendonitis might be the symptom of something else and take a long time to get right.

A pitcher who is 85% doesn't perform well in MLB. Rodney needs to be close to 100% to be effective.

I'd rather have a 100% Dolsi over an 85% Rodney.

7andkelly

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Emu! Let's bring Zoom back first, and keep Dolsi up here for now.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares about 90 wins, just win the division. Only thing that requires is playing well against the Sox, which the Tigers never do, ever.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly Shoppach? KELLY SHOPPACH?
Get this big, stupid son of a bitch off my goddam team. Shoot him, if you have to. This motherfucker is a washed-up loser, at 26 years old.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watchoo walkin' 'bout Willis??

401don

Post Number: 538
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny Flanders, I was going to post the same thing. Oh well, we only signed him for 3 more years. I've seen lousy relief pitchers lose their mechanics before but never a guy two yrs removed from the Cy Young award. He's one messed up dude. It's a good think paychecks aren't handed out manually anymore. "Here's your $337,412.00 for walking those 6 guys last game Dontrelle."

Flanders_field

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Convert him to the OF, or at best mop up RP duty. He has no confidence, and his pitching/delivery mechanics are horrible. Willis has given me bad vibes since I watched him pitch in a spring training game.

IMO, he has Steve Blass disease.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 673
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dontelle doesn't look comfortable in his own skin. He's has everybody and their brother trying to coax him along like a little kid. It's hard to watch. I couldn't help but wonder during the broadcast that Orel Hershiser could pick out all of these flaws in his delivery and I'm thinking, what is our pitching staff doing? Just hoping it fixes itself? He should have never been allowed to pitch at this level again until he had gotten his control in place. Now his confidence is shot and he'll have to go back to the minors anyway to get it fixed.

Now the fans are on him, so don't expect anything out of him in the near future. You can bet if they do start him again it will be on the road.

Flanders, maybe you're right he's a good hitter, maybe there's a Rick Ankiel situation in his future.