Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through June 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supreme or Rexal???

I see the makings of another split in the congregation.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither. Merit

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 454
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybelline ... don't leave the manor. We are the real Whiskers.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all: I've gone the generic route for most of my current meds ....

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Hmmmmmm...didn't know that Prozac came in a generic form.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 459
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Mail order generic???

Eastside61

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I drink "Jim Jones" Cool Aid in the morning and wait for the mail man to deliver my mail order goods EVERYDAY..... along with that 81 mg bayer every night....

Goblue

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: 81 mg of aspirin...take your pick...clots or bruises...I prefer bruises also...I trust your Prozac or Paczil arrived today.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Oh ... I forgot Advicor

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WIth all this talk about medication I feel like I'm at work. The pharmacist is in.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: What do you recommend ?????

Kellyroad

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES; If it hurts when you do that, don't do that.......You must have decent medical insurance with good drug coverage.
Advicor is simply a combo of an extended release niacin and lovastatin (a cholesterol lowering "statin"). The niacin component was mostly likely prescribed to get your good cholesterol (HDLs) elevated while helping to lower the bad cholesterol (LDLs). The lovastatin component reduces the cholesterol production in your body. Of course, as you know, too much cholesterol can lead to atherosclerosis and other long term circulatory complications. The statin drugs are perceived as the cash cows for the pharmaceutical industry largely due to their enormous use and the hugh profit margin earned while on patent.(check out Pfizer, Merck, or Astra Zeneca's earnings report). It is important however to be compliant with those meds...there is a significant difference on mortality and morbidity with the use of statin meds as well as the use of anti-hypertensive medications. BTW, there are statins that are available generically and extended release niacin can be purchased over-the-counter at a nominal cost. Study after study have shown similar efficacy with over the counter niacin as trade name prescription only Niaspan or the combined component in Advicor.
Recommend: Be compliant with the regimen. Make sure your liver enzymes are checked periodically (statin drugs are metabolized heavily by the liver). If you experience flushing with the niacin component take the the medication with food or even one adult aspirin one hour prior to the Advicor. BTW, even one baby aspirin daily can make a profound difference in prevention of stroke or heart attack...keep that going....the data on meds should in no way trump the importance of life style issues as diet and exercise.
Recommendations on meds such as Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft (used for depression, anxiety, OCD etc) would take up another thread....Know that it often takes weeks of titration to achieve a therapeutic outcome. The stimulatory effect perceived at the onset of therapy is an unintended side-effect of the group of medications (SSRIs) and not the therapeutic endpoint. Drug-drug interactions or therapeutic overlap are a huge issue with these medications...always ask the question of possible adverse reactions or alteration of therapy by adding a prescribed or over-the-counter med and/or alcohol. It is interesting to note that this class of medication is considered over-prescribed or under prescribed depending on what part of the country you reside. The perception of happiness and well being are often defined differently. The expectation of happiness and "lust for life" changes as we age..the perception of that and how we treat, if indeed we need to treat, is a fascinating area of research and discussion.

ES and GB and anyone else who wants to jump in: On a related topic: I've always found it interesting the use of medication to treat attention deficit disorder for young students in the state of Michigan (and perhaps Colorado) far exceeds other states. Many say it is (was) due to a strong teachers union that allow teachers to manipulate what should be a parent's preference.
ES, this has got to be right up your alley..comments, observations, experiences please

Now, how to tie this in with a Heilmann theme

Kellyroad

Post Number: 566
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC:know how you feel regarding the new look of Heilmann. It seems Heilmann was thrust into the future overnight, the recreation component minimized, no more open fields and playgrounds. just makes it more evident you can never go back home...and yes, your heart must have sunk when driving by the home...too many fond (as we perceive)memories of that St. Jude/Heilmann neighborhood seemingly vanished. Yet hope remains. When I visited the new Heilmann Center last year it was obvious there was a sense of community involvement, hope, and excitement in the eyes of the director, recreation aides, and the kids hanging around (just like yesteryear) Upon further inspection it was a "Dawn of a new day".

Jcole

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I know that times change, and the infrastructure with it, but I'm more upset with the surrounding neighborhoods, and the condition of Heilmann than with the progress made. It breaks my heart to see the houses spray painted with gang symbols and the windows boarded up. It's also sad to see the SJS playground basically just a mud pit. I didn't travel any further west than Heilmann this time, but I have been down that road fairly recently, and it is pathetic.

Jcole

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, to tie in the pharmaceutical aspect with Heilmann. It is depressing, so your info on Prozac is very apropos.
My husband taught in Michigan schools for 30+ years, and he always found the ADD and ADHD diagnoses to be far too high, and blamed it on the laziness of doctors, teachers and parents to work with the kids with learning problems instead of just pumping them full of drugs to keep them in line and make it easier for themselves. When he first began teaching in the '60s, there were very few kids diagnosed with any of these disorders, and when he retired in '95, the numbers had climbed quite high. They are now astronomical, and does anything seem to have gotten better because of it?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 742
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee,, all I want to do is play on the ant hill

Kellyroad

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Stay east of Hayes. GB can perhaps describe more poignantly the change of infrastructure. Alas, almost cliche.
The diagnostic criteria and treatments available for ADD/ADHD (both stimulant and non-stimulant) has changed tremendously since the 60s. Just as the diagnosis, recognition and treatment of depression has changed in children and adults. (Now ADD is being recognized and treated more in adults). Your observations and comments, IMO, are right on. We, as a state, are either progressive and should be a model for the rest of the country or sadly over treating! My hunch is the later.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 568
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z; The anthill is gone so is the ship with chained bridge, the curved slide, the tire dinosaur, monkey bars and swings. Recognize them as a fond memory and carry on. Life in Iowa (after the bad weather and a good crop of corn) is good.

Jcole

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we could sneak in under cover of darkness some night with a couple of bags of cement and some ugly mustard colored paint, and recreate the Hill.
What d'ya say, boys? Should we do it for the Iowan?

Zitro

Post Number: 746
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: No it's not true I don't believe you. I don't, I don't, I don't. (Covering my ears humming)

Zitro

Post Number: 748
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With fields looking like this you can bet your bottom dollar your food prices will be taking a nice little jump soon.

fi

Zitro

Post Number: 749
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hint: This isn't Minnesota

Jcole

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure as hell LOOKS like the land of a thousand lakes.Or sky blue water. or whatever

Jcole

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that picture from your office?

Zitro

Post Number: 755
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not quite, It's from the Ames Tribune and I'm sure it's from a helicopter. Or a very tall Ark.

Jcole

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps on the back of one of the giraffes?

Goblue

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: It is interesting that Michigan leads in the use of meds with kids...I have a grandkid on Paxil...pediatrician prescribed it with no psych eval and no therapy because her mother asked for it...I about went nuts! It's interesting too that Kalamazoo County was the leading county in the state in the use of kid psychotropics...don't know if that's still true or not...not lost on me that it was the home of the Upjohn Corp.

I don't know if its the strength of the MEA or not to tell the truth...maybe it's just a part of the educational culture that developed over time...I really don't know...I do know that I chewed a principal's ass when the parents reported to me that she had directed them to take the kid to their doc and get him some drugs...the superintendent, in turn, chewed my ass for "undermining the principal's authority"...same jackass who, on another occasion chewed me because I told another principal to quit hitting kindergarteners with a belt in front of the other kids...for the same reason. I digressed...sorry...but it does describe how the culture of Michigan public education existed...and I guess likely still does.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Your opinion on statins? The natural therapy advocates are always spreading scare stories about their side effects and CO-Q10 depletion. I know that there are potential serious side effects, but my understanding is they only affect a small percentage of users. I’ve been taking Pravachol (Pravastatin since it went generic) with regular blood tests for over 10 years with no side effects. I do take supplements to guard against possible CO-Q10 depletion, but my doctor doesn’t think they’re necessary. Your opinion? If we need to tie this in with Heilmann I guess I could drive over there the next time I take a pill.

Your comments about ADD drugs in Michigan are right on. My grandaughter’s mind tends to wander at times, and the school wanted to put her on Ritalin. Her mother said no way. She is in college now and doing fine. If they used the same standards for determining ADD when we were growing up, we probably would have all been on Ritalin… not that GB couldn’t have used it.

(Message edited by olddetroiter on June 13, 2008)

Goblue

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I wish I had thought of distributing Ritalin to every kid east of Hayes...just think of how the world could have been spared.

Jcole

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey