Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through June 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 672
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willis was sent down to The Flying Tigers this afternoon.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well he did say he really liked Lakeland when he got there in February. Got to give him credit for going down there with a good attitude. The Jays sent Roy Halliday back to A ball during his second season and slowly brought him up one level at a time over an entire season. He had not yet achieved Willis' success at that time however.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8075
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't followed the trial and tribulations of the team as I ordinarily because of the early disappointments (and other more pressing things in life) but I tuned in tonight to see a real dogfight. It was back & forth with the Sox and wouldn't you know it? They actually won!

Ordinarily I'd be on right about now dissecting the game with Ravine. I even looked at the standings and everything is still a jumble. Our Tigers and Indians- the pre-season picks to run with it are under performing big time (I wonder what the tribe fans are saying about their team), last year's NL champs the Rockies are dead last, the accursed Yankees are cellar dwellers (7.0 games out), and the Cubs are leading the majors.

This season is all a kerfuffle!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 734
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kerfuffle? I say it's FUBAR.

401don

Post Number: 543
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It truly is a kerfuffle. I look at the 1st place Sox and Thome and Konerko are each hitting about .215.
The best example is that the most (only?) reliable Tiger all year has been Todd Jones. 11 of 11 in save opportunities.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8079
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has MLB slipped into Bizarro world where everything is upside down and wacked?? There are so many inconsistencies this year that I don't think any true baseball pundit could've predicted.

But then isn't that baseball in a nutshell? It just makes me think back to when the Tigers made the World Series a few years back and who would've thought we were going to be there as well?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There are so many inconsistencies this year that I don't think any true baseball pundit could've predicted.

I think it's more parity than inconsistencies, myself.

Not only was Roy Halladay tutored this way, Cy Young candidate Edinson Volquez (currently of the Reds) spent 10 months out of 2 seasons in the Rangers farm system getting his head and his mechanics back in order.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this disaster of a season will be good in the long run for this team. They will have auditioned guys they wouldn't have and be able to see who can contribute next year.
Pudge should be gone and Inge will be the new catcher. They will have a few new outfielders and pitchers ready to go and be battle tested for 2009.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, If we could just play the white sox all season, we'd win the division. :-)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! FINALLY, everything fell into place-- at the same time-- for Verlander. I am delighted. 9:20 P.M., it's not even dark yet, and Justin can hit the sack, tonight, actually feeling GOOD about the whole affair. I'm really hoping that he will be able to carry over this vibe into his next start and maybe get his season on a roll.
I apologize for coming down so hard, and so vulgarly, on Dontrelle Willis. I was highly annoyed, but I guess we can be sure that nobody would ever feel anything but terrible about turning in a performance like that, and now I feel bad about what I wrote; I feel like I was booing my own team, which is a crummy thing to do. I never did understand why the Tigers hooked him up with a big-ass contract extension, but that's a separate issue; it's not like he held them up.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly...I think Dontelles issues are no where near his arm or knee...its in his head. He's rattled, and he can't calm down...he just needs...time? I hate to say it, because he's been there before...but he's not the staff ace, and he's used to that, and PLEASE remember, that was only his 4th start of the season...

Ravine

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're probably right about that, D_mcc.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8091
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh oh...is it that time of the season where Ravine & I start going back & forth about the Tigers now? Ravine flies off the handle and I have to calm him down? Maybe, but I couldn't agree more! Willis' just hasn't worked out. Vulgar or not Ravine- it's your unbridled passion for this team that I love about ya!

Verlander? He's actually had two good starts prior to this one but this was finally one where he had some run support. Against a good solid Chicago team it's nice to see. I love the fact that it's also against a divisional foe so we can make up ground kind of quickly.

Is this the re-birth of the Tigers season? Maybe. They have to have lots more consistency and prove it to us fans. They've really disappointed so far but that's also us fans expecting so much so quickly. We can only hope for more continued success from the starting pitching and timely hits.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This my first posting here, but let me say that I'm life-long, do or die Tigers fan. Now, I just did a search on this page for the word "schizophrenic" and nothing came up. But I seen this word in the D News a couple weeks ago being used to describe the Tiger's play. The only way I have come up to describe they play is the old joke "whattya do to an elephant with 3 balls? Walk him and pitch to the rhinoceros." Now, I watch them on t.v. last night and all of a sudden they can catch, run, hit, and pitch. My Dad calls that "hustle". I would love to see them begin to do the hustle more consistently.

(Message edited by ggores on June 12, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 8096
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, welcome to posting here. The other fans of the Tigers here can only hope for some consistency too.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8099
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera homer to deep right center to sweep the White Sox!

None too shabby! Like I mentioned earlier- could this be a turning point for this team?

401don

Post Number: 546
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the starting pitching efforts that give hope in this series. The hitting was still nothing to get too excited about - except Polanco. That guy is on fire!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 490
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunno if this is an indication of a turnaround, but this White Sox series sure seemed like a flashback to the 2006 or pre-ASB 2007 teams.

First sweep of the White Sox since 2003??

If so, wow...5 years ago vs a division rival is a looong time!!

D_mcc

Post Number: 738
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WALK OFF! WALK OFF! WALK OFF!

Smogboy

Post Number: 8100
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not exactly going to start planning the parade route just yet but it's nice to see some of the strong pitching coming together. Verlander had a complete game and Kenny Rogers went eight solid innings. There hasn't even been a grumble about Todd Jones this year. I'm just going to enjoy the after glow of the last three games and hope for more victories.

Interleague play comes up and the lads have always done well so I'm very optimisitic.

D_mcc

Post Number: 740
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woot...bring on the Dodgers and Joe Torre! 3 well pitched games by the tigers staff, can't ask for anything more...2 HUGE games from Verlander and Kenny...thank you...thank you for attacking hitters and being aggressive in your pitching, verlander...thank you for working your fastball to a T yesterday...and guys....1-9...not everyone was hitting, but forcing pitchers to work harder to get past you to set up our big men...ala cabrera's 14 pitch at bat...

PLEASE from the city of Detroit...make this summer...with all its woes...economy, mayor, jobs, everything...be something we can all remember about how we epitomized 19 seasons in one...

Hope...despair...and the ultimate return to glory. 7 games out...you can make that up...you can't ALL slump ALL season...take this series and burn it into your brain...The Red Wings did their part...ITS YOUR TURN!
GO TIGERS!

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having lived in SoCal for about ten years previously... always liked Hershiser and LaSorda (sp?)... but have ... or wait, let me begin again.

I like the Yankees. I hate the Dodgers. Love my Tigers.

Has nothing to do necessarily with the players, has more to do with history.

I just might pick up a few SRO's for this one.

Eat 'em up Tigers, eat 'em UP! ;-)

Ravine

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, I'm not certain how to apply it to the Tigers' current situation, but the line about the elephant with three balls was really funny. It's just plain silly, and I love stuff that is just plain silly.
Except The Three Stooges.
Smogboy, I hope you didn't think I was a bandwagon rider who had jumped off. I have been into the team, and the sport, as much as ever, but the reason for my decreased participation in this thread is that there has been no passion showing from the Tigers. I still care, but if they're not excited about it, neither am I. How could I be? In fact, and carrying that thought a bit further, it is really sickening to feel as though I'm caring more about their season than they are.
I'm really hoping that we're about to see something much different than that which we have been seeing.
I still say that Brandon Inge should be at 3B every goddam day and I don't give a damn if his BA is .225, .275, whatever the hell it is, at 3B every goddam day (unless he's injured or catching,) every goddam day, Inge at 3B, Inge at 3B, Inge at 3B.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inge will need to backup Pudge for the remainder of the season, and may need to do so next season as well, if not become the Tigers' starting catcher, should the team be unable or unwilling to sign Pudge as a FA.

Wilson tears elbow ligament again

So much for accomodating Inge's preseason trade request.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on June 12, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 8106
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I would never consider you a bandwagon jumper. I've always valued your opinions here. Heck, my participation in the friendly Detroit Tigers dialogue has trailed off significantly as well- partially due to Wings euphoria and work climbing up my backside.

I know you still bleed striped blood.

I will have to slightly disagree with you though about having Inge at 3B every day. I love his glove there. He's a total vacuum when it comes to the defensive side of things. Offensively we already know his woes. I wouldn't have a problem with him playing 3B on the days that he's not platooning the catching position with Pudge like Flanders_field had mentioned- that'd be the only stipulation.

Ideally we'd have a .330 hitter at every position on the field but since we don't, I have no problem swapping his defense for his batting average.

401don

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the 2-5 hitters are getting things together. We need Granderson to come out of his slump asap. He really has been pull happy this year and he knows it based on his comments 2 days ago.
The worse your team's defense is the more you realize how important it is. Taking away 1 or 2 hits a game is often the difference in winning vs. losing in close games, similar to your bullpen strength.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This next two week stretch will make or break the team. They have a chance to really make up some distance between Chicago and themselves.
The sweep was a great start. Now they face some National League teams they can clean up on.
L.A. Frisco, Padres, & Cardinals are teams they should take each series from.
Getting Rodney and Zoom, Zoom back should also help.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shutout?

Responding as a team to a possible scrum, after Guillen was HBP??

A 4 game winning streak, and win 6 of the last 7 games?

Pinch me, but it must really be a Friday the 13th sort of thing...

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 774
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigs win! Nice night down at COPA. The rain delay wasn't as bad as expected and the game was fantastic!

Did you see that highlight reel catch by Thames? And that what was he thinking rounding third and getting caught in a run down but ending up safe on third by Guillen. And the almost brawl...the people wanted to see some punches there. Well pitched game by Gagaraga and Dolsi. We were looking for Jonesy to pitch the ninth for some payback on the Guillen HBP. I guess the games matter again! Tons more fun...

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we're 4-1 now in games we've attended this year, I'll take the season ticket package from the Tigers, but they have to send out a limo, bring free concessions to our seats, and answer the dugout phone when I call them.