Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Archive through June 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Remember, Alma was a Presbyterian college. They expected us to behave like ladies and gentlemen, and they were smart enough not to trust us to do it on our own. Besides there wasn't anywhere else to live in Alma. But it would have been great country for a goat farm.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I think I'm starting to hear some of OD's Alma past leak out...he admits he was no gentleman on his own...we need to do some alumni checking...something's checkered here...I smell a goat.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I tried to emulate my 706 hero GB, but fortunately Alma kept me on the straight and narrow. As I see him now you can’t imagine how thankful I am for my alma mater.

Goblue

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: OD was a broken arrow if there ever was one...I still think we need to do some serious alumni checking...I'll get right on it...he's so confused he thinks there was someone named Alma Mater...sounds German...likely Lutheran.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Wasn't Alma Mater a DHS Tar in the January 60 class ??????

Goblue

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: FLASH...BREAKING NEWS...I have just discovered that SD is also an Alma grad...I knew I smelled a goat!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I also noticed that Greta in her stall had the most recent Alma Alumni magazine .... Would that one be the issue that featured OD and SD .....

Goblue

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I think that's the one...SD was the centerfold...its a collector's item.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I am headed to the barn now .... Od has been silent tonight so I would figure that he is home reading the Articles and not looking at the photos.... although the SD photo ...NO! well maybe! I wondering if he is drooling once again....

Goblue

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Guaranteed that he is slobbering all over the centerfold...and mumbling in Fortran...sort of like Diego at feeding time.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb: I am sure that OD moved because Eddie Rutherford moved into his old house .... I think that he actually moved to Fordham ???
and went to AGrotto under a false name ....

Goblue

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Naw...OD never lived on Fordham...but he may have lived next door to SD. It really was funny in 706...all we had to do was say "SD" and he'd snap to attention...if ya know what I mean.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the makings of a classic chapter for the book. Picture three young boys from a working class neighborhood….. GB following a string of failed romances fritters away his remaining days in the dessert cleaning the stall of a broken down nag and agonizing over what might had been if he had only met JC earlier…... ES, permanently damaged by the Bay Area drug culture, pines over the good old days with his goat roommates…… Both steeped in jealousy of OD, the first to leave but who quickly discovered the evils of the outside world and returned to the home state, spend their last miserable days in vicious attacks on their brother trying to drag him down to their level. They might even make this one into a movie…. Starring….

GB… Charles Durning
ES… Christopher Walken
OD… Brad Pitt
JC… Charlize Theron

GB, ES: It’s not too late to come home. I checked with Alma, and the stall is still there. It’s big enough for Violet and Greta now, but they said they could expand it to accommodate Tango too. Come home. Come home. All you who are weary come home.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Hopefully it can be filmed in B/W and all the actors smoke and drink like the movies we all watched at the Ramona, Vogue, Woods, Alger and Civic......

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 457
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Film noir for sure with a cameo appearance by Smokey Robinson singing "Shop Around" to SR just before she dumped GB.

Goblue

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I'll come home...if you'll shovel the snow...I've said many times that I'd move to A2 tomorrow...if it were below the Mason-Dixon line...ya'll. I keep remembering those ruts down the middle of the street...they must have been 6-8 inches deep...only one car at time down the middle...great fun in the winter. I think the east side of Hayes got better plowing service...clear discrimination against those of us on the west side...or in other terms...SJ and AG.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boys: I would move back in an instant .....IF....IF you could find those new gloves I got for Christmas in 55 that are still solidified to the back bumped of a De Soto one night when we were out hitching rides ...... They probably fell off on Fordham next to a box of baseball cards that were thrown out ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Come on up. Al Gore says...

"It Aint Gonna Rain, it ain't gonna snow.
"It ain't gonna snow no mo'.
"Come on ev'rybody now
"Ain't gonna snow no mo'."

Eastside61

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Snow , ice , sleet, and wind were bad enough but......REMEMBER the H word! Humidity! and we always thought that your hair was naturally curly ...... OH! and the I word: Insects... that want to suck gallons of blood out of you! Other than that I am sure we would return to the Urban Prairie....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Try to get back in time for the Fishfly Festival.

Goblue

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You're right...the humidity here yesterday was 9%...and...I haven't seen a mosquito in 6 years...still MI is not as bad as AL...I remember many days of 90 degrees and 90%...the ratio for working horses is 120...combination of heat and humidity...it's really rare for us to see a combined number as high as 110.

Thinking back to Fordham...no central heat...no A/C...ice on the inside of the bedroom windows...hot summer nights...how did we ever manage to survive?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And we were always running around outside whatever the temperature and humidity. Today we won't even poke our head out the door on a medium hot day.

My first (married) home was a mobile home with white aluminum siding. Felt like an oven inside. My first (married) job was at Fisher Body starting at 4:00 in the afternoon. By the time I got to work in my NOT air conditioned car my shirt was drenched in sweat. I still remember how nice it felt, and fresh it smelt, when I walked into the air conditioned building.

Goblue

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You were probably still wearing gloves when you were in the backseat with SHY...no wonder she tossed you!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: The ladies loved my white gentlemen gloves. It's those latex mittens you wore that turned them off.

Goblue

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Do you remember when we wore white gloves and leggings when we were the 706 Honor Guard on Mackinac? We were "hot shit"...also enabled me to convince a sweet thing from Chicago who was vacationing with her parents that we were Coast Guard and not Boy Scouts. How was I to know your destination?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I got my fill of white gloves and leggings at the Academy. You were constantly bleaching and scrubbing those things to keep them clean. During 4th class (swab) year we had to clean the upper classmen's gear. But when we became upper classmen the arrangement didn't seem so bad after all.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: What??? Ms chicago believed that you were in the coast guard and then she walked back into the Grand Hotel and stayed with her parents that night...... It was not HOT Shit ... It was Bull shit ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 475
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: We played a lot of softball at Mackinaw. GB struck out a lot there too.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: One thing you can say about the Master GB ... he was consistent in many aspects of his life.

Goblue

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: Careful guys...the green of envy is coming through onto my screen...the truth be told you two clowns spent the glory years holding your own...small (every pun intended) wonder.