Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Archive through June 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8119
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Above & beyond cheering for our beloved Tigers, we still have to cheer for anyone playing the White Sox right now. We could've gained another game on them tonight if they hadn't pulled it out in the 9th against the Rockies (talk about a team that's taken the gas pipe as of late...oof!).

Smogboy

Post Number: 8120
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few good signs I saw about the game tonight were the fact that the starting pitching is looking really really tough. The hitting was timely and even the evil glances being tossed back at Wade after he hit Guillen was a good sign; it showed they were willing to fight for one another at least. It was kind of comical seeing the bullpens emptying out onto the but that's what teams need to do to support one another.

What Corey Wade was beefing about was beyond me. He was the one who hit Guillen. I'm sure if any of us got hit, we'd probably drop the F-bomb or two as well. For Wade to even chirp back or wave his arms just didn't make sense to me.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 652
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?:

Might the Tigs pick up a bat during the fire sale from a team like Colorado, Seattle, etc.?

(I don't like playing so many kids like last night. I do like kids like Dolsi who play like 5 year vets. :-) ).

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 557
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather see Rayburn in left and Thames DH most days if Guillen is going to be on 3rd. Jeff Larish really needs to cut down on his swing. He's got the classic lefty power hitting upper cut but he's swinging so hard, even with 2 strikes, that he's going to strike out half the time. I think he's already pressing and trying to hit a homer to make up for a bad start. Cabrera can tell him that doesn't work.

401don

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Eddie Bonine day against the LA Dodgers on Fox Game of the Week, sold out crowd, keep the streak alive . . no pressure though!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larish reminds me of Jim Northrup (on a bad day) with that wild swing.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 653
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the scoop on Sheff?

Will his shoulder ever 'heal'?

I haven't heard two words on him recently

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love nothing better than to retract my statement that the Tiger season is over. It's to early to do it now though, and I'd love to be wrong.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers pile it on vs the woeful Dodgers, winning 12-7, with Thames and Cabrera hitting two 2 run HRs and Granderson and Polanco tripling in the same inning.

Tigers match the Dodgers MLB W/L record at 31-37, but Detroit is on the rise, and LA is falling.

Bonine, despite giving up 6 runs on 9 hits, in 5 and 1/3 innings gets the win in his first start.

Keep this up and the team could finally reach and pass the .500 mark for the first time since opening day, and hopefully can do it before the ASB.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on June 14, 2008)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has Leyland actually begun to effectively manage this team? I think that HE is the key, and I started the season thinking it was Inge who would be the key. But if Leyland can figure out how to adjust his lineup, he just could be the come-back-kid of the season. Remember, he is as much a factor as who is playing. He might have the toughest job in MLB this year. But we won, so Eat Em' UP!

Smogboy

Post Number: 8127
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon Rockies! Beat those accursed White Sox and give our boys a helping hand here! Let's not let a good effort by the rookie go to waste here. We need to make up some ground.

It looks like a 1 run dogfight though.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8129
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jason Grilli... for beating the White Sox.

Who would've thought that we're only 7.0 games out now? And considering the next few more games are all against lousy National League teams (with the exception of St. Louis, San Francisco, San Diego and Colorado are all on the downward slide) we could actually make some noise. Interleague play could be the perfect tonic for the Tigers.

The Sox have to face quite of a bit of their crosstown rivals, the Cubs the next few weeks so we might even be able to make up some ground against them.

This very well could turn into a serious dogfight to the Central Division title before it's all said and done. Who knows what Cleveland might end up doing in the next few weeks; their pitching has been pretty good as of late too. Minnesota is always in the hunt too.

A little bit of excitement here is never a bad thing.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hoping Sheffield doesn't come back this season. He's toast as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have someone younger contribute. He was dragging everyone down from that three hole spot in the batting order.

401don

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, I was just watching the Dodgers broadcast of the Tiger game where they said Sheffield is beginning a rehab stint in Lakeland this week. Sounds like there will be some strength and conditioning before any games. I'd like to see him play 2-3 weeks in Toledo and prove he is 100% before they throw him back in the line-up.

401don

Post Number: 560
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 games back baby! The way things are going 85 wins may take the Central.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 514
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers take a shutout of the Dodgers to the 9th inning, where Seay-sick gives up a two run HR and a single with no outs...

Then Todd comes in for the save and gives Tigers fans an absolutely classic roller-coaster ride, giving up two runs on two hits and a WP before he gets a flyball out to CF with a runner on second to end the game 5-4.

Tigers win, sweep the Dodgers, Marcus and Inge combined for back to back solo HRs, and Nate picks up the win.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on June 15, 2008)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4480
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good streak going - is a 35-5 too much to ask? :-)

Smogboy

Post Number: 8139
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The way things are going 85 wins may take the Central."

I said it way back when during the beginning of the season that the eventual winner of this division might indeed have the worst record of any of the divisional leaders. And that's not to take anything away from the team that will eventually end up winning it as well- it could very well be THAT competitive.

This statement by 401don might very well not be off the mark. Everyone beats up one another in our own division and if there is such a thing as parity (not parody) in the league- we just might bear this out.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 520
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...Marcus is just crushing them lately!!

LOL!!

OMG!!

WTF??

(Message edited by Flanders_field on June 16, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 8157
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AGH! Rodney came in and just served up a three run homer in the bottom of the 8th! GAK!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back, Fernando!!

Nice 5 run debut...

Not!!

Smogboy

Post Number: 8159
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FRod is NOT ready. Ugh, that was about as horrible of a comeback as I've ever seen. We had the lead going in too! And as valiantly as we tried to come back in the 9th, that was way too much to over come. Two runs short might as well be two hundred runs short- it still goes in the L column.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodney was best used when the Tigers were down a couple runs or so, in the late innings, ala 2006.

Leyland used Zumaya as setup and occasional closer when the Tigers were leading by a run or more in the late innings.

Hopefully that is what will happen soon after Joel returns.

Why does Leyland almost always have a mouthful of food when he gets interviewed by the media??

Damn...swallow it before you talk, and then eat afterwards, Jimmy, that's kinda rude to us viewers as well!!

(Message edited by Flanders_field on June 17, 2008)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2364
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F_f, you have to remember that a foot is pretty big, for fitting into one's mouth, and takes a long time to chew.
What the hell. From what I read, Leyland wanted to ease Rodney into a low-pressure situation, to get his feet wet, before inserting him back into the 8th Inning set-up role. So what happens? Eighth Inning, one out, two men on base, game on the line, here comes Fernando.
If the other guys in the bullpen were unavailable due to having recently pitched, then the Tigers should have put off the Rodney-In-Lopez-Out move for another day or two, so as to ensure that it would not be necessary for Leyland to immediately do exactly the thing which Leyland said he wasn't planning to do.
Or, maybe the other guys WERE available, and Leyland is a dope.
This is not a case of second-guessing, on my part; the unfortunate turn of events was almost completely avoidable.
I realize that it doesn't sound sensible, to drag Lopez out to the west coast and leave Rodney back here, if Rodney is ready, but what the hell; Lopez has done a good job for us, and we've waited this long for Rodney (who, in my opinion, isn't nearly as dependable as some have made him out to be, anyway,) so what's another couple of days?
OR, better yet, do what they did: Send Lopez down the freeway to Toledo from Detroit, take Rodney out to the west coast, BUT STICK TO THE GODDAM PLAN.
I really could just slap Leyland, sometimes.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was too funny. I finally caught the game when Rodney come in. First couple pitches were smokers. Then he got out of the zone - I quipped, "He's trying to not give anything that can be hit." Next pitch? Ha ha. A beauty! What a lovely hanger. Can't be too critical though, I choked and sank a cliff-hanging eight ball just prior to Rodney's choke.

Ravine

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah! I forgot something, but the guys on the radio were kind enough to remind me of something else for which I wanted to slap Leyland.
Duhhh... I think I'll play Holliman at SS, for no particular reason. My everyday guy, Renteria, has played on this field before, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him, but I think I'll put Holliman out there, anyway. We're only 60+ games into the season; we can still afford to do things just to "get a look" at guys. What can it hurt?
Holliman's night: 0-for-3, 3 men LOB, costly throwing error leading to early un-earned run.
I'm not picking on Holliman. Leyland is a great guy, and I really can't believe that he is a fuckin' idiot, but he sure acts like a fuckin' idiot.

Ravine

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postscript, to Smogboy:
Jeune Homme de Smoggleville, I'm finally heating up, now! Can you feel my fire, my venom, my barely-rational, teeth-gnashing, hollering diatribe coming from roof's edge?

Smogboy

Post Number: 8175
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying to entice Ravine back into the building and off the window ledge with a candy bar now.

I feel your pain there.

I understand all about giving some youngsters some playing time and resting up some of the older players, but Leyland's also got to stop experimenting and put forth his BEST product out there in hopes of climbing out of this hole. Spot duty, defensive duty, or some other rational decision to put guys like Holliman out there don't bother me but sometimes it almost seems arbitrary and I think this is where we're both befuddled.

Er, maybe I'm befuddled whereas you're still threatening to shoot the moon out there Ravine. It's okay. It really is... remember it's only a game. I can't afford to have you bursting an artery over these guys now.

401don

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that all the line-up jostling has gone overboard. You rest guys when they've played 2 wks straight and it's a day after night or when you're 7 games up, not trying to catch up. So you don't need to rest Renteria and Polanco every 5th day. It's not like Santiago is even available. Also, I understand Granderson is slumping but just put him out there every day and let him learn to hit lefties. His defence makes up for a lot so just bat him 9th against lefties.

Ravine

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, make that one of those king-size Snickers, and I'll step back onto the roof.
As you say, we need to see the "BEST product out there," for the time being. I'm terribly sick & tired of hearing bullshit, doubletalk, and worn-out cliches from Leyland. "Give 'em a different look," my ass. That's what you need when you're hoping to extend a refreshing winning streak: a different look. So Holliman gets to spend the rest of the night, and today, feeling like he fucked up, but good, when it was Leyland who, arguably, blew that game for us. And, speaking of cliches, when is Leyland going to stop with the "we're taking baby steps" bullshit? "Baby steps?" Those are some expensive "baby steps." It's the third week of June. Do you suppose that the people who got all excited, after the Cabrera trade, and sprang for nice ticket packages want to see this bunch taking "baby steps" at this point of the season?
I'm hearing that a HR from Marcus Thames, tonight, would tie Willie Horton for the team record of HR's in consecutive games. Go Marcus!
I still love the unique sound made when Thames "gets all of one." I hope his bat is entirely wood.