Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through June 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I worked in the "Night Audit Dept" at Hudsons downtown during my 1st & 2nd years @ UD. We ran all over the store clearing the cash register tapes. We didn't bother to turn on lights - took too much time. I could find my way around most of the store in the dark. Even got to use the showers in "Club 26" (the executives' private exercise facility) when I'd get filthy working among the old records stored in the highest floors of the building. Once had J. L. Jr waiting for me to get done with the shower. The discount was great as was the employee cafeteria. Really cheap food.
Glad you're back safe & sound, CFG.
I;m spending Fathers' day (also my birthday) watching the Lakers & Celtics in a motel room in the "Proud Hometown of Tom Izzo and Steve Mariucci".
Z, are you sill in Dallas?
JC, maybe a Goldwing should have waterwings as an option. I was considering using the sidecar as a lifeboat.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, you graduated from UofD High School or University? My daughter got her Engineering degree from UDM in 98 as did her husband. They are proud grads. They loved their time there.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 574
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn....Another celeb rolls thru Iron Mountain. Ride Safe. Happy Birthday
Looks like the Celtics are doing a repeat of game 4 except earlier in the game...The NBA has got to love it.
The Hudsons stories are interesting. You should start another thread for former Hudson's workers

Jcole

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, glad you made it there. Keep your door locked, and eat another cheese steak for me.
Oh, and don't forget to wear your hat and t shirt.
And pants, don't forget the pants

Eastburn

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, I went to the University of Detroit for my 1st 3 years then transferred to Wayne when I could no longer afford UD. Also, WSU fit my work schedule much better as I was working full time days (in a motorcycle shop - no surprise) & WSU was much better for night students. I suspect you can relate to the joys of such carefree college days.

K, Good idea. Maybe I will when I'm home & not trying to type on my 7" ASUS travel computer.

Jcole

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I didn't go to college until I was 39 years old, and graduated at 44, so carefree doesn't really track. My daughter Kate graduated in 1998, me in 99 and Sarah, my youngest, in 2000.

Eastburn

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The carefree aspect I was referring to was my getting a degree in night school & your getting yours while raising your family.
Sure glad I was able to send my kids to MSU so they could have a real college experience. Mine was sort of a blur.

Jcole

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, it's late, and I'm not all here. Yes, I know what you mean. I'm glad the girls got the full college treatment, too. They had the live on campus, go to games, get in trouble, go to frat parties experience, and I'm glad of it. They both also waited a while to get married and have kids. Kate had her first baby at 27, and second at 29. Sarah had her little girl when she was 30.

Eastburn

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both my kids had their 1st @ 29. They're much better parents than I was. Not entirely due to age if you know what I mean.

Jcole

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without a doubt, I do. I'm just glad they still talk to me

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC-won't forget all the good advice. They sure do have a vibrant downtown. They've kept so many older office buildings and historical landmarks.
Wish we still had our old Hudsons and Crowleys-with the wooden escalator.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And don't forget your goulashes if it's raining cfg!

Jcole

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z is right, they're predicting T'storms today, so, as the nuns would say, wear your rubbers

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Z -
danged if I didn't forget to pack the goolashes! Good thing it's blue skies.
Training went well, can't wait to head home tomorrow!
So far, so good ---no harrowing adventures....yet

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heading back this morning. it will be great to be home!

Jcole

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a safe flight, and check in when you get home.

Jcole

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This doesn't appear to be any of our nuns, but cute nonetheless.

Sisters Mary Catherine, Maria Theresa, Katherine Marie, Rose Frances, & Mary Kathleen left the Convent on a trip to St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City and were sight-seeing on a Tuesday in July.

It was hot and humid in town and their traditional garb was making them so uncomfortable, they decided to stop in at Patty McGuire's Pub for a cold soft drink.

Patty had recently added special legs to his barstools, which were the talk of the fashionable eastside neighborhood. All 5 Nuns sat up at the bar and were enjoying their Cokes when Monsignor Riley and Father McGinty entered the bar through the front door.

They, too, came for a cold drink when they were shocked and almost fainted at what they saw.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drinking during the day?.. on the way to church!??..seems like a bad HABIT to get into!(knee hurts from all the slapping) Alright, stop the groaning.

Jcole

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were having a SOFT drink, KR. Don't know why they picked a bar, tho.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Home safe and sound - Missed you all!

Jcole

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you got home okay. You must have beaten the rain home.

Zitro

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'll be heading back to the other "Great Lake State" today.

Jcole

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may have to swim from the airport, to pack your waterwings.
And, good luck

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a safe trip - it'll be great having everyone back home! We just sent an e-mail around work to send clothes to several doc offices in Rapid City where we have exams done. Hopefully, we can make some lives a little better.

Jcole

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jay Leno is doing some benefit concerts at the Mirage in Las Vegas next week Weds and Fri. to benefit the Iowa flood victims. I thought that was really cool

Zitro

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm driving back from Omaha, but from what I hear all roads from the north to DM airport are closed off so it might take just as long.

CFG: Did they have some type of diaster at Mt. Rushmore? jk

I know you probably meant Cedar Rapids.

ps: jk=Just Kidding

Zitro

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know the one good thing about flying is?

Zitro

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't think of anything either huh?

4 gate changes in less than an hour yippee!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z- thanks for the geography lesson! I just copied from the e-mail - maybe we're sending humanitarian aid to the poor folks near Mt. Rushmore? ---thanks for the "translation"
Just got done with their barefoot walk through the airport halls, myself. What the heck can you hide in sandals? oh well....hopefully no more travels for a while.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I WAS going to say "thongs" - but I guess that would have been a bad choice of words....