Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through June 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 483
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Now you did it!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: You remain one of the strong Eastwood Guru's ....thanks for the med's insight.

TO ALL: I will take a shot at 43 years as an Educator about the ADD / ADHD / or undifferentiated ADHD- 37 of that in CA (70 - 08) and the other 5 at Southeastern HIgh School on the eastside.(66 - 70).

As one looks back one can remember the 80's where everyone was dyslexic - In the 90's everyone had ADD ( seemed like 120 % of the population) and now the Millennium, which I think will focus itself as "Being on the Spectrum" .... Autism Spectrum that is
CA school districts in special education were very tight regarding ADD. ADD is not a Federal eligibility category for special education specifically - the only exception is under the category called Other Health Impairment - but every district I have worked in since 1970 has been very rigid about having a current medical diagnosis - as part of the findings for eligibility for OHI. I have seen both sides of the medication issue and I can say that I have seen it work and is a blessing for the child and I have been part of special education support that meds are not the answer and other strategies and interventions would and should do the job. This is the short version and I would like to hear your perspective as to what you see the future of education will be headed ...... Since Heilmann Middle School or what ever it is called is a sad institution in a very sad school district maybe we can be both serious with your insights about education and still run the Eastside Comedy Club with some true stories, some stories that are kinda true and some that - Well! You know!
ES 61 Proudly, Hangin' with my Eastside Friends

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Yes there is a lot of controversy concerning statins and long term adverse effects. I would like to see more evidence regarding the depletion of CQ10 (especially at high doses) as well as the effects on cognition and muscle pain. The reduction of Q10 is associated especially with heart failure. As a practitioner in hospital pharmacy, I see just about every statin prescribed and the newer cholesterol blockers (ie. Zetia or the combined form Vytorin). It is now mandated that all medications, prescribed, over-the-counter or alternative be listed on a patient's reconciliation form.....I seldom see patients list the use of CQ-10. I find anecdotal reports on meds interesting and try not to be dismissive about "alternative" therapy: however, I do believe in evidence based medicine and would side with your physician in this case. So drive to Heilmann and take the Pravachol preferably at night (your body manufactures cholesterol at a higher level at night).................................
ES et al: regarding ADD meds: Our institution has an adult psychiatric unit and an adult psych rehab unit, no pediatric (peds are strictly on an out patient basis or get shipped to HFH Main or Childrens). We deal with anti-depressants, atypical antipsychotics, meds for bipolar disorders and some Adult ADD. My opinion on ADD meds for school children are formed from discussion with colleagues, professional journals, and somewhat by a limited out-patient practice....My gut feeling as many of you expressed is that many young kids are rushed into drug treatment without proper counsel or diagnosis. They're caught up in a system ill equipped to handle "behavioral problems" or difficulty in cognition/learning in a system of teaching that has not changed in years..This is especially true with boys...Gut feeling is there's a rush to a chemical solution. I wonder if the poorer school districts as exampled by Heilmann Middle School use ADD medication above or below the standard norm. The drug treatment of ADD is as popular now as it was in the 90s. New drug regimens like Concerta (a stimulant ritalin like drug that can be taken in the morning at home so the child doesn't have to be "stigmatized" by having the school nurse or administrator dispense the drug during the day, or a non-stimulant like Straterra that can also be taken at home)are keeping ADD and ADDH at the forefront. Also, the new awareness of Adult ADD is rekindling the entire ADD issue in children.

(Message edited by kellyroad on June 14, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 492
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I'll need to get the old gang back together with the whammos and acorns for protection if I am going to Heilmann at night.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction: Ritalin to every PUBLIC school kid east of Hayes between Saratoga and Six Mile...(specifically those who attended Columbus) obviously the SJ kids were fine...sorry about the confusion.

OD: If we're going to make a night run to Heilmann I'm carryin' something heavier than a Whammo.

KR: Thanks for your discussion of meds...it really helps to hear it from a professional...this is really more ES's field than mine...I wish we had all had the chance to work together...just think, an Eastside run school or system.

(Somebody moved the keys on the keyboard this morning...darn Tango!)

(Message edited by GoBlue on June 14, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Cherish this moment. This is the closest you will ever see GB come to making an apology.

GB: Having trouble concentrating? Don't blame it on Tango. Maybe you need your Ritalin dosage increased.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 570
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Since gas is becoming prohibitively expensive it might be prudent to take your meds at home. Put away the sling shots and keep the cherry bombs for the upcoming Holidays. If you really feel it's necessary to dose at Heilmann in the evening, perhaps the Mapleridge Marauders, Eastwood Thugs, and/or the Fordham Fugitives can offer protection. Keep those LDLs low and HDLs high!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Good advice. But since you mention gas, which would you recommend for Tango... Gasex or Beeno?

Goblue

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Tango and Cinnamon (the mare) make a brass duo some days...both play trombones...850-900 lbs. produces a whole lot of methane. We training them to play the MSU fight song...I think they have one.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, get those horses on some Gas-Ex before the Green Police come and take them away from you for excessive methane pollution.
OD, I saw that, and I'm properly appreciative. I've learned to take whatever I can get by means of an apology these days.
Just don't let it happen again.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 506
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Get that Gas-Ex soon. The latest NOAA satellite pics show a hugh gas cloud forming over Prescott, AZ

Goblue

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: When your diet is 90% hay there's gonna be gas...that coupled with the fact that horses are poop eaters (its an evolutionary thing) the gas is gonna be compounded. Their guts are only about 60% efficient...which means that 40% of the food nutrients end up in manure...so...over the eons the smart ones learned that survival of the fittest means eating it again. Our mare taught it to the two younger ones. Its revolting but it works for them.

I can see that OD is turning green now...we'll excuse him while he goes outside to puke. I wonder if ES's goats do the same thing. We used to call the Mapleridge Mob the sh--eaters...but it didn't mean quite the same thing.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 509
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: It's a necessary survival mechanism horses have when the owner is too cheap to buy them enough food.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, I know that male goats will pee in their own mouths and drink it, so I wouldn't doubt that they also eat sh--.
Sorry OD.

Goblue

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Sheeuut! These horses eat like kings...I keep saying to SMcT that I hope I come back as one of our horses...nothing but premium alfalfa and timothy for these guys...plus their vitamin supplements and psyllium to prevent sand colic and Cosequin for her arthritis and ground flax for their coats....trust me....these horses have a good deal. We were riding in the mountains for a couple of hours this morning...Tango had to stay home...somebody bit a hunk out of his hide right where the saddle fits...so he's out of action for a couple weeks...I was on the grumpy mare.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 513
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Don't apologize to me. ES has the goats, and he's not here right now. So you can make all the goat jokes you want.

GB: If I know you, you'd come back as a Budweiser Clydesdale. Set up another round for my horse, and forget about the hay.

Goblue

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Naw...no Bud for me...I like my beer with plenty of hops...Heineken or Cornona...unless I can get Blue Moon on tap...a local microbrewery here in town has a great wheat beer on tap. But...those Clydesdales are beautiful animals...I knew a guy once who had the National Champion Clydesdale stallion...gorgeous horse...I'll bet he was at least 20 hands tall...huge.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all Animal Lovers: Violet (Not SE 59) and Greta live at the Murietta Lane Goat Westin .... gigantic stall, two gourmet meals a day, Corn, Oats, Barley and CA grown Alfalfa and fresh well water.... and for dessert: why its both green and brown (found on the ground) Magnolia leaves. Oh, did I mention a phone, Cable TV and CFL lighting .... Are we saps .... Oh, that is GB's favorite word for OD and myself......

Goblue

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No, no, no...you and OD are NOT saps...you've been sapped...verb not noun...it was from the head-butting contests on Mapleridge...I made a small fortune selling spectator tickets to those events.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Get out the Ritalin. You're confused again. It was the sap falling in your face off the Dutch Elms that you saw.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Pay per view originated on Mapleridge - Remember it was initiated by you and HT in the first every mud wrestling contest at Elvidge Arena on Salter ..... Police protection was provided by Hennick and Workman .... SR walked around between rounds holding up round # signs .... OD and I made over $69.00 because HT invited all of his 'boy' friends .... and it was filmed on 16 mm B/W ...... I know you didn't win but you were great especially when wearing that Nehru medallion.....and those boots were stylin'

Goblue

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: You two wouldn't amount to a bucket full of week old Rocky Mt. oysters.

I kept begging RE to do something about his younger brother...his comment was that his parents tried to "give him away but the people brought him back". OD's father threatened to enroll him in SJ if he didn't shape up...that turned him around.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I remember that I was once found along the D. River in a basket ..... floating either to Canada or Bob-lo and maybe a new residence in Cleveland. Eventually I was returned to OD home on Mapleridge just before he was to move to Hollywood.

Goblue

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: WOW...do you mean that OD was the Tom Cruise of the late 50's?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I lived with OD in CA until his return to MI.... and he always drooled ... so things haven't changed very much.....

Goblue

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah, but the drooling was about SD...I have to admit that perhaps I dribbled just a tad about those also.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Old OD had and old wrinkled 4" x 4" B/W that became a soaked mess when I lived in hiding with him.... Amazing how he continues to drool even as I type the thread ... Those Columbus girls still had amazing powers over the boys who attended .....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 566
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The 8th grade classroom was awash in drool over SD. GB had the only dry boy's desk in the class. He was too absorbed thinking about a future cheerleader conquest at Denby.

Goblue

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: If the two of you are planning to ride in the Detroit Naked Bike Ride please let me know...so I can go to Italy that week...there is just so much my stomach can take. On the other hand, if I hear that SD or SR are planning to ride...I will let you know.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Bicycle built for two would be nice ... OD riding and SD sitting on the handle bars backwards would be interesting ..... Talk about total drool .... SR attaching GB's baseball cards to the front wheel to hit the spokes ... I hope the NBRide starts at Ballduck and ends at Scott Fountain on the Isle of bliss......