Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Archive through June 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the cliches are just that, and the manager and the whole team knows it. You see, there is a bit too much focus on the individuals and what's expected of them. This is why last year was such a treat - because nothing much was expected. This team, and the ownership, are not the Lions organization. You take what's been put on your plate, and you play the odds of unpredictability best you can. Ultimately, you play in order to play in October. Everyone, in June no less, already talking about the "must-win" game. Well, they won. And how they won was by running, catching, hitting, and yes, coaching. WTF ya gonna do? I'm going to wait and see how the make-up game with the Yankees pans out before I get livid at them again. Heh, a "stay of execution" you might say. Tigers baseball, ya gotta love it.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 532
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad move to have Miggy running from third on a Pudge grounder in a VERY tight tie game, unless he decided to go on his own, which in that case, he deserves a smack upside his noggin!!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 533
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ra-burrrrn!!

BOOM!!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MARCUS!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thames last 8 hits=HR
That was another BOMB to CF!!

5-1 Tigers now!!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 535
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roller Coaster Jones loads the bases giving up 3 consecutive singles, then Clevlen makes a great sliding catch in RF to save at least a run, then Jones Ks Burris and coaxes a grounder to short to end the game, as I wipe the sweat from my forehead...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8181
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marcus Thames has been an animal as of late. And it's not like he's dinking them into the first rows of the outfield either. He's got more successful launches than NASA in the last month.

And damn the White Sox for not helping our cause tonight.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But thank the indians for getting absolutely shelled by the rockies. Everyone is talking about Thames....how about 5 B-E-A-UTIFUL games from the Gambler???

Smogboy

Post Number: 8185
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, Kenny Rogers has gone relatively unnoticed! Good eye and observation there D_mcc! It's amazing that he's been as durable and as consistent as he's been. Knock on wood and let's see if he can help stabilize the core group of pitchers, rip off another long winning streak and make up some much needed ground on the Indians, Sox, Twins or whomever is in front of us.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 998
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like our chances today against 2-10 Zito

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what Kenny was in 2006...a guy you knew could be a stopper after a loss, or at least put his team in a strong position to win every 5th day.

D_mcc

Post Number: 751
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He almost had the record for something like...most quality starts without a decision or something...but hes given up like...4 runs in his last 3 games or something. Pitching just awesome...is it Bonine on the mound tonight? Or Gallaraga...funny that Gallaraga is our staff ace this season.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the Tigers are looking at Fredy Garcia who's coming off an injury (and we all thought Bonine would go 10-0 in the 2nd half). Anyway, it's Galarraga today and don't forget D_mcc it's a day game today - 3:45 pm.

D_mcc

Post Number: 755
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well played donner...I remembered around 3:40 and have it tuned in on MLBradio here at work.

I'm apprehensive about Garcia...who still isn't healthy...and won't be ready till august at the earliest

D_mcc

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chased Zito after two...now their serving up Billy Sadler...who's not much better

5-1 top of the third

Smogboy

Post Number: 8187
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at 7-1 now.

I loved seeing Galaragga laying down a decent bunt and actually contributing to his cause by scoring a run too!

Nicely done. let's see if they can win this one now.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8189
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice composure after having the bases juiced in the bottom of the fifth too. Struck out Rowand and worked his way out of a jam. None too shabby there Mr. Galarraga!

401don

Post Number: 580
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Galarraga reminds me of Jurrjens. Not overpowering, throws strikes and excellent "presence" on the mound. Nothing appears to bother him. Gotta say though, there's not a lot of power in these line-ups for the Dodgers and Giants. Padres are up next. Other than Gonzalez, they don't have much either. Enjoy the day off boys.

Polanco is starting to remind me of Pete Rose. Bends at the knees, chokes up and just keeps stroking singles. 4 more today.

One more trip to Seattle in a couple of weeks and this east coast-west coast nonsense will be over.

401don

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing. Next time you cringe at Dontrelle's contract, just think about Barry Zito and his 2-11 record. 126 million. Highest paid pitcher in history I believe.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Dontrelle's contract isn't that bad. The issue is that he is contributing nothing.

But, another way to look at it is that if Barry Zito was on the Tigers, they'd have benched him too. But the Giants leave him in there to take his losses. Thankfully, the Tigers have the pocketbook and the minor league system to put someone in his place.

Bright side. ;)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I realize that, at the time, Zito had a deserved reputation for not only being an effective pitcher but also a guy who would give you a lot of innings pitched, but even with all of that considered, that contract was still absolutely absurd. I thought so at the time, although I surely would never have predicted that he would ever be even half as bad as he now is. The guy looks totally washed up, but the Giants were imbeciles, to serve up a contract like that one, and I have some sympathy for them, but not much.
And the Tigers were pretty stupid to just hand over a fat extension to Willis, too. He was part of a trade about which he had no vote, had good reason to be happy that a contender would even want him, and we had every reason to just let him try to get a re-start here in Detroit under his contract as it was. Instead of taking the appropriate wait-and-see approach, we acted like a company who needed to spend a certain amount of money so as to make sure it would re-appear in the next year's budget. That's the cash we should have shoved into Verlander's pocket, but instead, it's down in Lakeland, footing the bill for what looks to be a complete rehab project.
Ironically, the most effective pitcher we have is a guy who has no rep and is getting paid chump change.

D_mcc

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, hey now...Willis is in a slump there Ravine...its less in his mechanics and arm strength and its all about whats going on in his noodle...

Now, I'm just as quick to get down on the guy, but hes had 4 starts...he hasn't been able to make the adjustment to AL hitters the same way that Edgar and Miggy have been given the ability to adjust to AL pitchers...

I know hes underpreforming, but he just needs to sort out whatever's holding him back upstairs. Do I need to point out Roy Holliday??? He had quite the laundry list of issues...now look at him, hes what? 25, that's still young in my books...wait and see...if we get Freddy Garcia (which I am wary of) then we talk about a move.

Untill then, lets be pleased that the tigers are 34-38 and playing some very good baseball, and take some solice in the fact that the White Sox...who had every opportunity to blow the Central wide open, didn't...and haven't been playing well...not to mention the fact that aside from the Red Birds...we have the Pads and Rockies coming up...which SHOULD be 2 more series wins for our boys of summer...I'm excited, hell, I've been excited ever since the season began...you can go back through the history, and i never got down on the boys..Teams just too good to play that bad for 162 games...just watch and enjoy

Smogboy

Post Number: 8193
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey alright! Ravine's actually calmed down and walked in off the ranting ledge.

Great game in San Francisco! Woo hoo!

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and now to San Diego, then back to Detroit with St. Louis. Good games coming up. Keep that radio tuned in.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8194
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed but Detroit's quietly stepped ahead of Cleveland and is now in third place in the AL Central? We're only four games under .500 and two games behind second place Minnesota.

Yeah yeah, I'm painting the Tigers with my Happy Broom tonight and putting a decisively positive spin but why not enjoy it in the meantime? Heck, it might even wash off some of that early stench.

D_mcc

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^

I always notice...and I am always realistic...I want a beer when the tigers pull this season out just like I said they would when everyone else was packing up the bus and going home...

Not to sound bad or anything...but when I think of Ravine...I can't help but picture Randy Quaids character in Major League...

lol

Smogboy

Post Number: 8196
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! Ravine and I should just do a sports talk radio show on the Tigers. He rants (the Randy Quaid analogy is good... real good!) and I calm him down. Kinda sounds like the old WDFN morning show, Jamie and Gregg. Or perhaps it'd turn out to be a bad Jim Rose Side Show act, but yes we do enjoy talking passionately about our Tigers here.

And it's a heckuva lot more fun talking about them when they're playing good fundamental baseball and winning. Even back in the hideous days, we'd still pull for them and I thought it was easy to comment about them back then too. Posting and commenting during times when the Tigers are consistent has always been easy- whether it was a good team or a bad team. What's challenging and trying this season has truly been when the Tigers have been inconsistent- they look like world beaters one game and then the next day, they couldn't hit beach balls being lobbed to them underhanded.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone think it is better to start slowly, albeit VERY slowly and finish strong then start strong and finish weakly?

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't work.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8198
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"anyone think it is better to start slowly, albeit VERY slowly and finish strong then start strong and finish weakly?"

As a fan, I'd much rather see them start strong and stay strong through out the season. While I understand they're going to have little hiccups along the way and not win every series, I think the majority of fans would love to see a tape to tape finish for their teams. We're creatures of habit- we like seeing consistency whether it be good or bad. Having players getting injured and going on the DL is a prime example of an inconsistency that causes fans to wring their hands. Seeing perennial .300 hitters batting at a .275 clip is an inconsistency. Simple fielding errors by Golden Glove players is a disruption to that routine we want.

And in the end, the end result SHOULD be the team winning the championship- that's what any true fan would want their team to do. And given the pre-season hype of this team, we want them to start strong and stay strong. It's not realistic to expect them to be perfect but if given the choice- if you mean to "finish strong" in winning the championship, then I'd guess we'd much rather settle for that as opposed to flaming out at the end.