Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through February 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PHILBERT - I think what happened (and maybe someone in Gar Wood's family can corroborate) is that Gar left the mansion somewhere in the late 60's to move to Fisher Island in Florida. I believe he gave the house to the City of Detroit for whatever the reason. The mansion sat empty for a time and was in disrepair. Then, was eventually kind of taken over by bands and bikers. They moved in and used the place... and it ultimately became trashed until it burned down in the early 70s. I'm guessing that whomever used the place probably didn't pay any utilities if they were even left on... seems like folks were more or less camped out at the house.

(Message edited by ocmobilexec on January 30, 2008)

Jluke
Username: Jluke

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't it get intially trashed when rented out for some national biker convention in the early 70's?

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All i can say, is that you were a real true "Hippy" if you went to Garwood Mansion partys.

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summertim1: Yes in deed and I was one lady who visited there many times....the place was awesome and I enjoyed the many people I met there....the music, the smell, the mansion and listening to "boot leg" Beatles..........I lived on Eastlawn, so this was a quick drive home too--before cells, lol...............had lots of fun!!

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 961
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Rocketwhit. I have some photos of Gar Wood from about that time (78-79) in my photo archive, and will try to dig them out for you. Please be patient. I have thousands to look through.

Brenda

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet: Great, can't wait for you to share them on this site for wonderful memories of Garwood when we were young...still young at heart!! I remember a friend named Larry..sorry can't recall the last name after 30 some odd years, but he rented a room there and he drove a green cougar. I am glad we can keep memories alive of the Detroit that wasn't burnt out, dangerous, polarized and ugly........so many years ago.......but the thoughts of Garwood always bring a smile to my face.

Summertime1

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda, good for you! I was not 16 until 1971. I think the fun was over by then. The people i knew that ent there were older than me and had the connections to get in, or that is what i thought at the time. geri in SCS

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet i would spaz over some pics of the mansion indoors will wait as long as it takes wow me daddy

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same here, Bullet... we're all anxiously awaiting to see what you've got! How about posting a teaser pic or two? :-)

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, E.S. 61, sorry it took Me so long to get back to this thread, That would have been "Chuck".

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats up poster OCMOBILEXEC GREAT SUGGESTION A TEASER OR TWO BULLET... CANT WAIT

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRENDA PLEASE TELL WHAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU SAW ANYTHING YOU REMEMBER ABOUT THE HOUSE I LOVE THIS STUFF AND I LOVED THE MANSION ROCKET

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK A NEW INSTALLMENT IN ROCKETWHIT'S GARWOOD ADVENTURE SERIES... WHILE TOURING THE MANSION IN GREAT AWH, THER WERE A HAND FULL IN OUR GROUP. ACROSS THE BALLROOM SOME ONE SAW A FIGURE IN A BLUE JACKET WE THOUGHT IT WAS THE BOYS OR D C P BECAUSE IT AFTERALL WAS PRIVATE PROPERTY POSTED NO TRESPASS. SO WE SCATTERED TO HIDE. AFTER SEEING IT WAS NOT THE POLICE, WE SAW IT WAS A MAN AND HIS WIFE HAD CAME BY RIVER IN A SMALL BOAT. BEING VERY HARD TO MOVE WITHOUT NOISE DUE TO BROKEN GLASS AND DEBRIES EVERYWHERE WE MANAGED TO FOLLOW THEM AROUND THE MANSION WITHOUT BE DETECTED. AT THE FINISH OF THEIR TOUR THEY BOARDED THEIR BOAT AND WERE LOOKING AT THE MANSION FROM THE RIVER OUT FRONT WHEN WE DECIDED TO REVEAL OUR PRESANCE TO THE OTHER TRESPASSER'S
SOMEONE SCURRIED PAST AN UPSTAIRS WINDOW, IN THE VIEW OF THE BONNOCULARS THE FEMALE SHOWED UTTER SHOCK AND AMAZEMENT POSSIBLE FEAR AT THE SIGHT OF NOW AT LEAST SIX TO EIGHT PEOPLE OR GHOST'S DASHING PAST WINDOWS HERE THERE EVERYWHERE THEY THEN MADE HASTE IN RETURNING TO WHERE THEY SAILED FROM I'M SURE THEY TELL THIS STORY TO ANY AND ALL THAT WILL LISTEN IT WAS FOR ME UNFORGETABLE SUCH AN UN FORGETABLE DAY STILL MORE TO COME IN MY STORY LATER ROCKETWHIT

Brenda

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, one had to have "connections" to get in...how mine came about was ironic...if my memory serves me, I would drive by the Rostertail and talk to the "boys" who parked the cars for those who had money to take their dates into the Rostertail...I had a 1965 green mustang (3 on the floor too)...somehow thru these encounters, I met Larry (w/the cougar)...sometimes we remember the car more than the person...hey, I was raised in Detroit...anyway, Larry said he lived at Garwood mansion....he invited me to see it....it was like a scene from the "Rocky Horror" as we drove along a narrow rode--over a bridge..more rode and then to see the "mansion"..I was in awe...The inside was beautiful, the high ceilings, the wood floors and the main dining room with the huge windows over looking the Detroit River....what a view...since it was during the early 70s, the people I remember in there were very well dressed for our era, had access to alot of "bootleg" music and 70s fun...I will leave it at that......smile....when I got to see the swimming pool in the mansion..it reminded me of the pool I swam in at Jackson Junior High....as relationships go, Larry and I drifted apart...but I do remember another man named Fred who had a room there and so again, I was a frequent visitor...I remember playing chess with him while buzzed..not good to do and I lost too..oh well....all in all, the people I met there were pleasant and non-threatening..........it was a peaceful place to visit and enjoy being young...this is all I can remember without a shrink's assistance, lol.........Garwood had a unique feel with the people of our youth that made it very special and cool to say you actually went there and experienced it.........

Brenda

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today and yesterday

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocketwhit are you writing a book? RW- NICE CAPS BTW

Summertime1

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda, thanks for repling. Where was Jackson junior high? i grew up the SCS, we were lucky to be born when we were. I did get to go to Eastown, Cinderella, and Red Carpet. I still love Rock music. I would like to get a ticket to see Kid Rock tonight, Peter wolf is with him. J Geils was great. we would have hung out if we knew each other then .

Brenda

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumertime1: Jackson JH was near Denby HS--near houston-whitier(sp) area..cuz it only took the bus a short distance to get us home to the lower Jefferson/Charlmers area. I went to Cass Tech for two years and transf'rd to Southeastern HS for my senior year (to get college money). Yes, Eastown, Grande, Garwood (by invitation, lol), Angel Park and going to see "The Doors" at Cobo so long ago....I am sure with my love of music, the dress of era and the topics of our youth we would have been friends....Yes, we were lucky to grow up in Detroit with a strong family, community and love/respect for country. Even we challenge those in power during the Vietnam War, it was because we saw the lies and our men coming back abandon'd and forgotten. This decay of Detroit--which was pushed over the edge with the Mayor's nonsense and corruption, will only keep businesses from ever considering Detroit as a place to invest....The Mayor didn't do it alone, it was the people of the city who didn't want any non-color folks near the 8 mile boarderline....well, Detroit got its' wish and we left and some now have totally left the state........but "they" didn't do anything wrong......but, on a positive note, the people who have wonderful memories of Detroit in the past are good thoughts and can be shared with our children and grandchildren! When people ask me where I am from where I work and live now, I still proudly say Detroit with a big smile on my face....Have a great day and good thoughts of what was always.

Summertime1

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda, right on!! good memories forever.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man if i were older i would of partied with you ladies

Summertime1

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda, my husband went to Burbank, then to Denby. he lived on Novara then lappin at hayes. we went to one of his class reunions, Denby area spanned a huge portion of Detroit. He said he went to Garwood parties.

Brenda

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Chitaku: Thank you for the complement...Summertime1...I am sure your husband's smiles when he recalls the "Garwood parties", lol....as I might have mentioned before, we didn't have cells, thank goodness! The first guy I ever dated was from Denby and the last, lol.........my introduction to the "worse" of man, but as time went on, I met many wonderful men in my travels, serving in the Navy and now serving my fellow veterans....but Garwood was a place that was so cool to say you had been there during that time period...a great moment in time!

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let me say i'm sorry about the caps lock i want to tell my story loud but not to yell at everyone please forgive me rocketwhit

Brenda

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocketwhit: I didn't take offense with the "caps"...as we used to say in the Navy.."don't sweat the small stuff"...it was your story that was interesting! Good memory too!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, I TOTALLY LOVED YOUR STORY, ROCKETWHIT! LOLOLOLOL - OMG, I"M SCREAMING AND I CAN'T STOP!

I yelled your story to myself and it was too funny :-)

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grayhaven was an entire community designed by Edward Gray. It was created out of the Grande Marais. It was entirely landfill. Two Fisher Mansions, part of the eastern Grayhaven compound, were built on the landside of Starboard Lagoon. The island had four homes. The Garwood mansion is now gone but three still exist surrounded by new development of dubious value. The western land side was off of Port Lagoon. Seven homes were built there. All are now gone. Only thirteen homes in all were built. Many people blame the Great Depression for the demise of the original Grayhaven but in reality Gray's legal feuds with City of Detroit (corrupt) officials sealed its fate. Sound Familiar????

Only four homes are left of the thirteen. The Lawrence Fisher Mansion and three on the island.

Grayhaven is a very special place for me and I have collected a very detailed history of it from 1913 to the present. I have decided to wait one more year prior to publishing, I am curious to see how the Morgan Estates progresses. This is the group that clear cut the Fisher Woodlot.

To explain. In the seventies, the city demolished the Fisher Mansion that bordered the river. Over the years, nature reasserted itself and it became a true beauty spot that almost all of Creekside residents treasured. We fought hard against the sale of the property to this developer. Many meetings, many speeches trying to preserve this 14 acre nature preserve. Of course, we lost. Morgan is a Kwame buddy. Morgan's "environmental engineers" claimed the woodlot was scrub and junk trees. In reality, there were many valuable trees as well as native plants. Long ago, when the property was a 16.5 two home Fisher compound, it was beautifully landscaped. Many Crabapples, amalanchiers, Beech, forthythias and other flowering shrubs and trees survived. My favorite personal bad, is that since their "experts" declared there was nothing of vegetatative value on this riverfront property, I watched ten magnificent black walnut trees get bull dozed and chipped. The assholes could have made a small fortune per tree if they had been harvested properly.

What makes me so sad is that all of what was Grayhaven will soon be off limits to everyday citizens. The communities being built on the skeleton of the original Grayhaven are all Gated Communities. We have this fascinating historical district that cannot be viewed or visited by us ordinary citizens. Enough said.

Summertime1

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, thanks for the great information

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

summertime1, thanks for the thank you. I just got ripped to shreds on a different thread. "Gated communities". I truly believe that the river and riverfront access should belong to everyone. Sooo... much rich history.

I doubt I will post again, so this is my swan song. Too many rude, ignorant, mean spirited and narrow minded people.

I do love sharing and waltzing down memory lane.

This forum has been great. Lots of laughs, witty reparte and more. However, this also includes complete idiots who like to swear, insult and be confrontational just for fun.

I am serious about my commitment to Detroit and have backed it with action/community service.

But too many forum members are just too full of verbal shit.

Bye

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ripped to shreds..." Hardly. You got called out your own narrow-mindedness and poor choice of words over on "Gated Communities".

Grow a thicker skin, this is Detroit after all.

Sorry for the threadjack. It had to be said.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,

I haven't read that other thread, but try not to be discouraged by "rude, ignorant, mean spirited and narrow minded" people. This is the internet, after all, where many people will "speak" and act in ways which they would never display in person, and in the end it doesn't really matter. I like the heart that you seem to display. Just let bad manners wash over you like the tide, back and forth.....