Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through June 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on how you look at it. You can never be to sure what people are hiding their sandals I guess. I've seen at least 2 grandmothers getting the full treatment. Finally at Dallas waiting for the last jaunt home. No screaming kids on the first leg, hoping for the same on the next.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a safe trip back - Had a 1 yr old screamer while the plane was being boarded, - but quieted when the plane took off. Be safe!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are all the slackers? I log in to check on the kids & no one's here. You must be working too hard.

EB in da UP

Zitro

Post Number: 779
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm slacking off at home today where I'm working harder than at work. Physically anyway. I'll bet it's gorgeous up der in da UP eh? Have a pastie for me.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's like the base of the thumb, it's cold and wet in the UP. It feels like October here. I need sweat, dammit

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB................where about in da U.P.?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could be in Paradise right now! or Whitefish point, hunting aggies - or Curtis, fishing in Manistique Lake - or in Seney taking the nature drive or walking the grounds - or - well, just about anywhere up in God's country!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is a different world up dere!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and..CFG.............just the person I need to communicate with. I have been trying to get in contact with Fr. Bob re: the future of the school..............I spoke to him briefly at the clean-up and e-mailed him after that..........might you have a more let's say direct route to him? (I still say digging up the relic is a good way to get attention!).....DJV

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Y&KK - no new news on the school as of this week. Hopefully, it will remain intact until we can generate some interest. I'd sure hate to see it become abandoned..... it would be a bad situation for the church as well. It's a scary thought. I sure hope a charter school shows some interest. It's in great shape and could certainly serve as a school for many years.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG.........I think a school (charter or otherwise is wishful thinking..........) WE have to look at it as a BUILDING!............using it as a (a thought just came to mind) a "computer training center" perhaps.........my original idea was to convert the buiding into an "extended care facility".....(don't forget...the baby boomers are 65 plus now!) I also looked into funds available (they're there!).............keep me posted

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 782
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from vacation myself. Nice reading all your poignant posts, and catching up.

I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO CHIME IN WITH WIFI ACCESS FROM THE HOTEL LOBBY, BUT IT ALL WENT BAD!

EB, please tell me about your ASUS. Is it the 4GB 7" EEE with the built-in webcam? I almost bought one at Christmas time, but the cyber Monday special price never reappeared, and then I started hearing the wi-fi had a limited distance.

7andkelly

Post Number: 783
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&kk, I see the gym housing the St. Jude Food Kitchen. My vision for the school is still out of focus. For now, maintain the building until we come up with a purpose.

7andkelly

Post Number: 784
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigs are doing well, and getting my hopes up again. Too bad the Chisox got to play the Pitts. Hopefully, the Cubbies will manhandle them this weekend, while we take care of business with the Pods.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB.....................still trying to find out how near (or far) you might be to Esky...

Zitro

Post Number: 780
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K you got your first wish, Cubbies win on a ARAM hr in the bottom of the ninth. Here's a chance to pick up a game.

My vote for the SJ school building would be for a bowling alley (imagine that), there's none left in Detroit on the east side at all, it's just about the right size with enough parking.

7andkelly

Post Number: 785
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and KWOOD got the win. Cool!

The NHL draft is on now...

I definitely like the bowling alley idea. Tear down the room dividing walls and we can have lanes on both sides. Throw in some Real Sports VR pitching, passing, puck shooting and basketball games in a few of the old classrooms and we're off.

Jcole

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if we flooded the tunnels, it would make a great rowing area

7andkelly

Post Number: 786
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be fun! Set up an extension to the back of the convent. Start the canoe's out with a slide down the coal shute...traverse the narrow tunnel between the convent and gym, do a 360 loop in back of the stage, and through the tight turns into the light and left into Frank's office. Suspected cheaters will be given the lie detector test.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THERE! Now we're thinking outside the box! What about the gym - an IMAX theater perhaps?

Jcole

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far, we've got rowing, bowling, pitching, passing, puck shooting and B'ball. We might be able to utilize the blacktop for equestrian exercises, if we get a clean up crew, perhaps repurchasing the old SJS playground for stabling purposes

7andkelly

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the Shock will win in OT soon...so we can watch the Tigers...unfettered.

Zitro

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They ended it just in time

7andkelly

Post Number: 788
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of empty seats at Petco.

Zitro

Post Number: 782
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you lived in San Diego and you had a crappy team, I'm sure you could find something else to do.

7andkelly

Post Number: 789
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flipped over to VS for the Red Wings pick. Nice standing O for Stevie Y in Ought-to-wah, and nice pick in Gwelph goalie Thomas McCollum.

Zitro

Post Number: 783
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need to start grooming someone with Hasek gone and Ozzie getting up there

7andkelly

Post Number: 790
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy Howard from the Griffins is a logical guess. Personally, I would be more comfortable in signing a veteran free agent goalie to back up Ozzie for next season.

Jcole

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I asked this question before, but does anyone else remember St. Jude having parish picnics that sometimes were on Bob-Lo, or am I dreaming?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 578
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: You might be dreaming and yes St. Jude certainly had picnics at Bob-Lo. I believe the few times I was at Bob-Lo (as a young one) were all associated with the St. Jude Picnics (early to mid 60s). The boat ride (from Detroit), the pavilion, roller coaster, the smell and sound of the steam engine, sitting in front on the 3rd deck, going under the Ambassador Bridge..what great memories...If I recall correctly, St. Jude also had picnics somewhere out in Macomb Township (I believe I have pictures but it wouldn't tell the location) and of course many picnics were located at Balduc Park.