Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through June 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want virtual Golumpki's. Someday I have to find the right way to spell this.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there truly a right way?? We all know what you mean and that's all that matters - sounds good to me too!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weather permitting, we'll be putting our 4-1 record on the line Wednesday at COPA against the dreaded cards.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golabki
OK, Z, next time there's a mass exodus, when all you kids come home, I'll make virtual golabki and pierogi

Zitro

Post Number: 789
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have my heart right there. Lots of grilled onions with the pierogi

7andkelly

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and I would like a fresh dill with mine.

Zitro

Post Number: 790
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh! And fresh horseradish too please

7andkelly

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we are going to have virtual horseradish too, and we should, I would like to also have virtual fresh polish sausage.

Jcole

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got it all.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got to have sour cream with a little sugar sprinkled in. Make mine kapusta, please. Potato/cheese are too bland for my taste.

Zitro

Post Number: 791
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is kapusta with surkraut?

Jcole

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kapusta means cabbage, but some people use it to mean sauerkraut, sometimes with mushrooms mixed in with onions.

Jcole

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I make sauerkraut, I rinse the kraut, stir in brown sugar, garlic, onions and a little celery seed, then layer it with kielbasa in a roaster, and let it slow cook for a few hours. Some people add flour to thicken. Some folks add pork ribs either instead of or in addition to the kielbasa

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta add some cooked yellow peas to your kapusta - according to my Auntie Sophie. Started making my own kielbasa a few years ago - won't buy it now....
J - I LOVE the sounds of your recipe - I'm "borrowing" it next time I make kapusta!

7andkelly

Post Number: 804
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No sour kraut for me. In fact, please cook my pierogies in a separate pot.

Cole slaw for me instead...

...And a cob of freshly picked, freshly boiled sweet corn with those cob holder pins, and evenly rolled in pure butter so that it drips as you lift it up to eat it.

7andkelly

Post Number: 805
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cooked onions, mushrooms and pork ribs will be fine!

Jcole

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, feel free, everyone always asks for more. If you don't have celery seed, caraway works, too. Do you smoke your kielbasa, or leave it raw when you make it, and do you use natural or synthetic casings?

Jcole

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should have said 'fresh' not 'raw'

Jcole

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, you don't cook the pierogi in with the kraut, so it'll be fine for you. They're just boiled and then browned, and served with sour cream, and, as Z apparently likes,sometimes fried onions,and crumbled bacon.

7andkelly

Post Number: 806
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, Z likes his onions grilled, if it makes a difference.

All this is making me verrrrryy hungry. Lets just have our SJS reunion / thread party at J's place...A.S.A.P.!

Dinner...and we watch the Tigs game after.

Eastburn

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Armada is pretty central to Iowa, Port Hope, downriver & Warren.

Jcole

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Almont, EB, unless you know someone in Armada who's willing to have us all over. Or do you mean the Fair?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: Your geography lessons at SJS have paid off!

Eastburn

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea,I meant Almont. I was just off by a few miles to the southeast. Too long in the saddle today, I guess.

Jcole

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, now that you're back out of the saddle, dig out the Atlas, and have a look. It's a good thing you got home ok :-)

Eastburn

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God for Garmin!

Jcole

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a Nuvi 350, too. Pretty impressive, aren't they?

Eastburn

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once you get past their little idiosyncrasies, many of which are caused by Navtec which supplies maps to all the mapping software outfits.
Tics me that they charge about $90 to update the maps on 1 unit. Can't be used on a 2nd.
Great tools though. I can even find Almont (and Armada).

Jcole

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good. You just need to know where Van Dyke is.
I know what you mean about the maps. I got the unit for Mother's Day, and I got the one free set of maps, everything else waa a fortune

Eastburn

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Van Dyke will get me to Almont but not Armada. I'm a northern Macomb county savant, having lived outside of Memphis for 12 years before heading north.
And no cracks about my forgetting the idiot in front of savant.