Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through June 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 738
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this talk of sandwedges is making me hungry. I'll take a BLT on Russian rye.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I have been Golfing with the Shark that dates my daughter ... Playing with people who can hit it 300 yards is not for raising one's self concept ... but it is fun and we will be hitting the links again when they get back from Europe ....

OD: I think is was at Epps that GB purchased the first of a series of Nehru Jackets ... talk about being out to lunch... and to link this to The Eastwood thread under the truce ... NOT ONE individual living on Eastwood would EVER wear a NEHRU jacket .... or have one in their possession ...

7&K: Next time I am back in Motown, I would hope you would join us at Chandler Park in the annual "GUN FIRE CLASSIC" .... The course remains in great shape and the ever expanding Urban Prairie adds to the atmosphere and sounds....

ES61 Proudly, Holding the Truce together

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 739
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, thanks for the invite. I'm sure the GFC will be a blast. Looking forward to a few rounds.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called sons of God."

Eastside61

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: "Blessed are those who attended Burbank on the Eastside"

ES 61 Proudly, Representing Eastside Public Schools

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I hear someone bad mouth Nehru jackets?

Eastburn

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn, proud graduate of Burbank kindergarten 1950.
JC, bet you never wore that at SJS.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Be very careful .... GB is a Nehru freak .... Never be alone with him if your happen to have a Nehru on ....

EB: Happen to know of or remember a Ty Fahner who also would be a Burbank '50 K student ...??????

Jcole

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, yes, as a matter of fact, I did. That's my 6th grade pic. We got to wear civvies for the first 2 weeks of school

Jcole

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, Burbank today, on my ramble through the 'hood on my way to a job in SCS

Jcole

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, I'll take your advice and hide the Nehru. I'll hide it in my closet, with my skirts. :-)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: We were always worried about GB back in the day about HIM wearing skirts .... which he used to do especially in the fall during football games .... we think he was trying to impress HT... but the details are sketchy .... you might come home someday and find the RED nehru and all your skirts GONE! They will be hanging in Tango's stall in AZ..... and then they will be listed on Craig's list .....

Eastburn

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, don't remember Ty. All I member of that year was that my favorite subject was nap time. Still is! Actually, I recall being embarrassed that we had to take naps - like babies.
JC, I have a 9/49 issue of Life magazine with an article entitled "War Babies Go To School" with a picture of me in a mob scene in front of those doors. We were the generation before you "baby boomers".

Jcole

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, I went her in 1961 for half a year of Kindergarten, and then got promoted to first grade in January. Had to redo 1st at SJS because they had no 1/2 years. The thing I remember most about Burbank was getting in trouble for arm wrestling in class, and being sent to sit in the hallway with my partner in crime.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: a great book that I just finished titled Millennial Makeover talks about the current generation that will have a tremendous effect on this 08 election - but one of the books major components in the Veterans Generation (actually us). Where JC is a Boomer you, GB and OD and myself are all Veterans...... if you get a chance you can find the book at borders......

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: ES...the guy who wore saddle shoes during his freshman year at Denby...until we approached his older...and smoother...brother to please do something about his family...his younger brother tried to change to his mother's maiden name when he arrived at Denby.

I had a gold double breasted Nehru jacket in the late 60's...wore it with a white turtle neck sweater and a pair of light green bell bottom pants...and a pair of Wellington boots...I bought all of the above at Van Horn's at Eastland...from some klutz wearing saddle shoes and blue jeans rolled up a couple of inches. Tried to explain to him that his style was not exactly GQ...I think he was a stock boy filling in that day.

I liked that Nehru Jc...very stylish.

Jcole

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought it for the medallion. I was all about the bling

Goblue

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: I forgot all about the medallion...had that too...I suspect that SE59 has it in her jewelry box today.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: I actually worked at Van Horns in the mid 60's.... there was this totally lame nehru freak who would be waiting for the store to open at 9:30 .... He was always with HIS friend who I think was a cheer leader previously at DHS .... they would come in and spend ours dancing around in various bell bottoms and turtle necks .. and then eventually they would leave an not purchase anything ... I do remember asking my other brother about these two clowns .... My brother just stated that they were really close (get the picture) and loved broncos so much that they eventually moved to Kalamazoo so that they could buy Bronco Briefs ..... I have always wondered what happened to both of those guys ... more than likely HIV or Aids took them away ...

Goblue

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stock boy has appeared...he has never read GQ...was an embarrassment to his bros...to say nothing of how he embarrassed his father by refusing to attend THE university.

Eastburn

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, thanks. I'll check it out. No Borders in Pt. Austin. Thank heavens for Amazon.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb: CHE did live on Eastwod.. he was a grad of the U of M but he would be disappointed that you a Fordham u OF m grad too and you have evaded the true Van Horns story .... and now you have JC calling to make sure that the alarm system is working so that you do not rip her off ....... since you are this years recipient of the TC CSI award I do know that you will be honored with for 09 .... back to the 08 award.... how big of a Fedex truck can make it on the driveway ??????

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 452
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Was that really you in the Nehru jacket? Did you and an identical twin brother become separated at birth? That picture is the spittin’ image of young GB right down to the identical chain.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: it was medallion that drew GB to the Nehru look..... But he actually wore the boots too.... those are photos we need to get our hands on.... OD contact SE 59 and offer something I am sure they are in a box in the garage with a skull and cross bones on it ....

Jcole

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that is really me. And if I have an identical twin brother, he's probably a little closer to my age.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 720
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: You must remember our esteemed colleagues deal in more esoteric principles.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z / JC: Even though we never attended SJ we were taught about catholic miracles ... and then Smokey Robinson and the Miracles ...
Could OD actually be Smokey? You know that a lot of stuff has happened in Motown....

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 458
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: You mean there were triplets?

ES: I got ahold of SE59 (that's more than GB could do all the time they were married) while serenading her with "You Really Got A Hold On Me." She doesn't have the junk anymore. They opened a new landfill in K-Zoo a few years back and allowed her to christen it with GB's Nehru accessories. The sanitation department even dedicated a plaque in her honor. Said if anything deserved to be in a landfill that stuff does.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I am sure it was reported in the local Kalamazoo paper that the land fill you are speaking about was declared a TOXIC Dump - It was also reported that the the Beautiful JC's medallion can be seen worn by Harrison Ford in the new movie about Indiana Jones..

Goblue

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: You two both deserve SE59...while I am glad that you are both happily married...both of your wives have told me that it has been 30 plus loooooooooong years living with you two. You both do deserve SE59...if either or both of you were single I would do my best to get you connected with her...you'd need a steel cup though...she carries her own castrating knife.