Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Archive through June 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, Wow! That explains your love for the lousy stinkin' Lyin's. It's because they are consistently bad. Now I understand you. Thank you very much.

:-) :-) :-)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8206
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cheer for them as much as I make criticisms of any of our local teams. Get your facts straight and learn to spell the team's name (you should by now). What next? You gonna spell Tigers with a Z or Pistons with two S's?

That being said, the Lions and Tigers (as well as the Wings and Pistons) are part of the major four sports that our city has. We cheer and deride for them because they represent our city. Look at how much we all rant about our teams here and understand why we do it. You do it as well but you never acknowledge the fact that you do it as a fan too. If you truly weren't a fan of any of these teams even on a peripheral scope, I'd like to think that you'd surely have something better to do than misspell their team name, bash ownership, question trades, play armchair QB, and try to encourage other fans to support your cause.

Lord knows other fine folks here who criticize and viciously bash the local teams here are willing to admit they care about their teams. Look at Ravine and his rants or some of the others here who've been analytically critical of the Tigers start. They care, feel the need and somehow in their rants try to encourage THEIR team to do better. Last time I checked this is still the DetroitYes forums- I haven't seen too many postings here cheering on LA, Oakland, St. Louis, or Miami teams. We're willing to admit our devotion to our teams in good times and bad.

Why not you, Stotter?

20043_stotter

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL :-) :-) :-) I finally understand you now. A million thanks to you. Because, I couldn't figure out your supporting the laughing stock of the NFL. I see it all so clearly now. You made it plain to see. Go Tigers, go away Lyin's.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8209
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You support the Lions too.

Why else would you make fun of them so?

Don't question fans and their loyalty to their teams. Simple.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) :-) :-)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, I respect your assertion that Willis is just in a slump, but I disagree. His E.R.A. for 2007 was not just bad, it was terrible (just over 5.00.) He has shown nothing good since joining the Tigers. A lot of baseball stats can be deceptive-- especially when not viewed alongside of other stats-- but E.R.A. is not one of them. Willis has not been dependable since 2006 (when his E.R.A. was a good-but-not-great 3.8something.)
That is not just a slump, but thanks for trying to get me to feel better about the matter.
The only way I'm interested in Freddy Garcia is if he signs for the minimum rate, and we don't have to drop anyone from the 25-man roster in order to add him.
He sure used to slap the shit out of us, though.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 585
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you watch that big lumbering body on Willis, with the arms and legs flailing, you wonder how he ever pitched with the control he had in 2005 (236 innnings, 55 walks). There's no doubt he has the stuff, big fastball and slow curve. I just don't know how he can be under control enough to throw to both sides of the plate.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8215
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, kind of a weird analogy here but sometimes I wonder if Dontrelle Willis is akin to the Dominik Hasek of baseball here. Mechanically he's all over the place, hardly a technically sound pitcher, flails all over, herky jerky motion and yet he somehow can deliver. I'm hoping that he can though. He's young enough and with some guidance, he can figure out what it takes for him to gain control. In so many ways it reminds me of when Hideki Nomo first came into the league as well- hardly orthodox but he got the job done.

Dontrelle's got some promise still. He definitely didn't deserve the long term contract. I'm always for players having a decent salary full of (quietly attached) bonuses and incentives. Hopefully Willis can get it together in Lakeland and make it back to the bigs.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

woo hoo! I've only been able to go to SRO games so far (and they're wearing me down, quite frankly), but my friend copped on some real seats, right off of the first base line, on TUESDAY! Kay, sa rah, sa rah! This is a critical weekend series coming up.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 779
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I can't argue with ERA, the only thing I can think, is he probably had limited coaching in FL and when he came up to the Tigers, Chuck probably tried to tweak his dilevery and arm motion, and that might have thrown him off a bit.

We know he has the stuff...he has the ability, I just think you can't harp on a guy with 4 starts, when you know its gonna take longer than that to adjust to a new league with new hitters. Like I said before, look at miggs...he was almost putrid at the start, and again, people were questioning his sizable contract. Now that he's hitting, and he's made the adjustment, suddenly hes Mr. Tiger.

We really can't keep doggin on the kid like this, I have faith in our coaches at the minor league levels to work with D-train, and to boost his confidence back up...which is probably the most important thing...I have faith.

Ravine

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, I agree with your point about not continuing to dog on the kid, and I am going to demonstrate my agreement by backing off of the topic.
We'll just have to wait, and see what happens next. As drastic as this statement may sound, I'm actually game for the idea of writing him off for the season, if giving him that much time to get himself straightened out will lead to his being able to do so. We seem to have stumbled upon a Big Score with Galarraga, anyway, and-- returning to one of the starting points of this discussion-- it is not Willis' fault that the Tigers jumped up and invested so much money in him.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 548
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fernan-do re mi fa so la ti don't put him in a tight game for a while Leyland!!

Smogboy

Post Number: 8218
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG...Rodney. Whaddaya doing? Just when it looks as though Detroit's gonna mount a comeback against the Padres, you walk a handful.

AGGGGHH!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the hell did Hairston get that pitch from Zumaya? 100mph down and in...and he PULLS it. Can't blame Zumaya for that, except for falling behind the batter earlier.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...the Padres were trying to bunt and Rodney couldn't get his pitches even close to the strike zone...and nearly beaned Gonzalez to boot
Pathetic!

Smogboy

Post Number: 8220
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for my Ravine-esque rant (and please someone pull me in off the ledge here), but what the heck is up with Rodney??? HAs he flipped his flat brimmed lid? His last two outtings have been horrific at best- maybe a half dozen pitches and they were all nowhere near or so near that I could've put one out with a nerf bat? Until this guy gets a heap more conditioning and gets his head straight, send him down and keep him down. He's been a total embarrassment and I'd even hazard to say he lost two games for us this year since his call up.

Last season we fans lost our minds with Jason Grilli and the occasional blown save from Todd Jones but dare I say that this year's Butt Ugly Pitching Performance award (the BUPPY) goes to Fernando Rodney.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, you're right, Rodney has no business out there right now. Leyland is throwing him into the fire instead of easing him in. Normally, I'd think that's a good strategy for a veteran, but Rodney is mentally fragile and needs his confidence first.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8221
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess what steamed me was the fact Rodney threw 8 balls, NO STRIKES. Hell, I could do that! Anyone see his ERA? It's an utterly amazing 135.00.

For those kind of numbers, let me keep Bautista instead. Leyland could probably bit through ten penny nails handfuls at a time after that last performance.

On a positive note (just because I need to balance myself here a bit), I thought Bonine was pretty solid. He kept his end of the bargain up by going up against a future HOF guy in Maddux and was pretty darn good.

Ggores

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Petco Park? Petco? Do they give away dog leashes on promotional days? Of course, following that train of logic, Comerica should be handing out dollar bills. Petco... what shame. ;-)

D_mcc

Post Number: 786
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today will be different. I said we'd take 2-3 from the Daddy's...2-3 from the Cards...and 3 from the rockies...The cubbies did their part and beat the sox...but the tribe won...

TIGERS...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....REALIZE JUST HOW IMPORTANT THIS SERIES MIGHT BE!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 591
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodney & Willis remind me of Franklyn German. You're in the majors for cryin out loud!

Ravine

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I would like to know is, who the hell said Rodney was ready? Either you can throw strikes, or you can't. It is not a subjective judgment. On the other hand, maybe he was throwing strikes, before they brought him back, which means that he is mentally fucked up.
OR... getting back to my earlier rant... maybe Leyland contributed to the problem by going against his own instincts and IMMEDIATELY pushing Rodney into a pressure situation, and now 'Nando's self-confidence is deflated.
Whatever. I like Rodney O.K., but I reiterate my earlier-stated belief that he is not such a big deal, anyway.
As for Zumaya, well, them's the breaks. There is no way to get an accurate reading on the guy from what happened last night. Also, it is worth bearing in mind that the name "Hairston" still triggers a shudder of fearful discontent from some of the long-time Tiger faithful.
I have a serious worry about Zumaya, however, but I won't go into it now because I don't want to put any malignant mojo out there into the Tigersphere.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I like your posts. Keep it up.

Ravine

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you; will do.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 550
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marcus goes Yarrrrd!!

2 run HR pinch hitting!!

9 out of his last 10 hits..

Mr. June as Chris Shelton was Mr.April in '06.

Hopefully he will be be Mr July next as well.

D_mcc

Post Number: 789
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh no....Bobby Seay-Sick

D_mcc

Post Number: 790
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...He is good against Lefties though...

Smogboy

Post Number: 8228
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I was quite impressed with the Hold Gang tonight. Miner, Seay and Dolsi were pretty effective. And Jones has been doing pretty darn good as of late. No blown saves this year at all. We all remember last year how we were grilling Jones around this time.

Nice game all around.

And thanks to the Cubs for beating the Sox to help us inch a little closer to the top.

D_mcc

Post Number: 794
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the damn Tribe and Twins both won tonight...

Good game anyways...and again...

Marcus Thames with a pinch hit two run shot to Left-Center...farthers part of the ball park...

madness

Ggores

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm briefly online and just have to say - this series is giving me dizzy spells. Verlander... "I'm a-gonna bunt, everyone knows it, but wait, I'm-a-gonna take it deep!" WTF? He looked good, the action on his ball is astounding. Looking ahead, we MUST get Minnesota. White Sox can implode. I think the radio guys are hitting the sauce also. Classic.