Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through June 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 807
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, How are you on Lapeer Co where Almont is located? Did Garmin take on water during your trip?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, Fresh and ONLY natural casings.
I'm looking forward to making your kapusta recipe this weekend. I'm thinking Auntie Sophie used the yellow peas to thicken instead of the flour. I just made a cooker full for our Family picnic a couple of weeks ago - wish I would have had your recipe. We had a good turn out - about 100

7andkelly

Post Number: 808
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, I would like my fresh polish sausage to be skinless and only mildly spicy please...and thank you for your kind patience and considerations.

7andkelly

Post Number: 809
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, speaking of patients, how is ours?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm taking her to the surgeon's today, as a matter of fact. She's been non-weight bearing since surgery and we're hoping that she'll be able to at least put a little weight on her foot. A few weeks ago, they removed the cast, but then put her in a boot with a "flex" dial on the side to keep her foot at a certain angle. She's going crazy only being able to hop using the walker - otherwise it's been wheelchair for church, etc.
Prayers, please!

7andkelly

Post Number: 810
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe 8 - 12 weeks post-surgery non-weight bearing is standard for that injury. If she gets any kind of go-ahead, take it s l o w please. As frustrating as it is to be laid up for so long, we don't want the clock reset.

BTW, isn't it better (safer) to hop using crutches as opposed to the walker?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely -
and yes, crutches would be better, except that the leg that she would balance on has a tore MCL and heel spur, so it's too much weight on that leg - besides she'd need to be more co-ordinated to use crutches and co-ordination just doesn't run in this family! :-)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, I had foot surgery a few years back, and the only thing worse than the non-weight bearing part of it was trying to shower with one foot outside the tub. Oh, Puleeese. Tell her we're thinking of her. And good luck

Jcole

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, where do you live in Warren? There is a place called 'The Polish Market'(original, I know) located on 15 Mile and Dequindre and they carry fresh kraut, not canned or jarred. You go to the meat counter and order it by the pound, and it has no bitter tinned taste. You barely have to rinse it. It's a little drier, so you need to add a little liquid, water or wine or broth, when cooking, but it is so good. They also have their own brand of pierogi and a bakery with the best rye bread.
Oh, lord, I want to eat now.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm at 696 and Hoover - so 15 and Dequindre isn't far - but I'd rather go to the Polish Market in Hamtramck - same market chain - AND - I get to stop in Polonia's for lunch! I didn't know about fresh kraut - I'm thinking a trip to Hamtramck this week wouldn't be out of the question!
Thanks! I'm craving it now!

Jcole

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living where you do, did you ever eat at the Starlite on Ryan and 696? They had really good Polish food, but I guess the owner gambled the restaurant away. His uncle still runs the one down on Michigan near Cecil. Also great food.
We eat at one in Rochester called Two Sisters which is like they took it from Hamtramck and flew it to Rochester. Best Beef Barley and Chicken Dumpling soup you can ask for. I guess the Cabbage soup is surreal, but I always opt for the two that I mentioned above, so I don't have first had experience

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 792
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are killing me. I feel like just sticking my face into a whole plate of Polish food and eating till I drop.

Thanks a lot!

Zitro

Post Number: 793
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is all a well conceived plot to entice me into a road trip isn't it?

Jcole

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But of course. We know that all you get in IA is corn and pork, and not even that, this year you get water, and .....water

Zitro

Post Number: 794
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I thought you were my friends.

Jcole

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But we are. We worry very much about your well being. We have to make light of it to cover our concern, so we don't get maudlin

Zitro

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked the schedule and the next hovercraft for Michigan is leaving Friday morn @ 8:00am. Maybe..

Jcole

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can always rent a pontoon boat, or maybe a kayak.
I'm going to Ohio this weekend, so I hope they don't have any weird weather issues I haven't heard about.
Does any one know if any sink holes opened up on I-75 or snowstorms near Bowling Green have been reported?

Jcole

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, maybe the Hovercraft schedule will hold up through July so I can make it to Colorado. Apparently, I'm going to have a hell of a time otherwise

Zitro

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would imagine making flight reservations at this point would be pretty spendy.

Jcole

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yes. My options are to reschedule or take a train to norther New Mexico and a bus to Denver.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had to stop at the Polish Market on the way home from Bet's appt - at St. Joe's Hosp in Pontiac. Bought all the fixings for J's famous Kapusta and Kielbasa. Also had to get some rye bread and pierogis! (a quart of dill pickle soup to go, too!)

Jcole

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What time is dinner? :-)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to let me have a practice run first - THEN - any time! :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 811
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other news...

I see Tampon Bay signed Malrose. Like most people I've always hated lightning, and now they are my least favorite team. Light thing...I cantstanzia!

The good news is ESPN's hockey coverage just improved.

7andkelly

Post Number: 812
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops...

2 ruler slaps on the knuckles to me for using the T word on the church thread.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 - I can find Almont. Pass through it whenever I go "down to the city".

The Garmin is made for use on a motorcycle so it handles rain just fine. Only had 2 days of rain on the way to Duluth. The weather otherwise was great.

Good to be back.

Looking forward to the Polish feast at CFG's or JC's place. My wife's last name ends with "ski" so I have a nodding acquaintance with such fare. Boy, could her Mom cook! Too bad she didn't learn from her. Oh, well..............

7andkelly

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, sure you can find Almont. You have Garmin:-)

If I can't find it, I will keep driving until I do. I'll check the compass. I'll compare the time to the position of the Sun. I'll stop the car, get out and find the North Star, but I will never, ever, ever ask directions...unless, of course, I'm told to do so.

Zitro

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a male mortal sin. Besides, even when you do, 90% of the time the person you stop and ask can't find their way back home so what's the use?

I'm sure it will be a blow to Barry's ego not to see himself on the big screen as often. You're right, ESPN's hockey coverage will be much improved. Now all we have to do is get that flower wearing Red Wing hater Cherry off the air and the Wings might get their due from someone

(Message edited by zitro on June 25, 2008)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Slackers - Just when we got everyone back it seems like you all left.