Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through June 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 467
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Someone seems even more testy than usual. They must have acquitted a Republican today.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: Tango did his duty today...she's swingin' from the ol' oak tree...let that be a lesson to 'em.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Yes - Justice prevails! Who's next? Rove ? Spinal Cord Cheney? Pin Head Bush? It doesn't matter the order....

Goblue

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Personally, I think we should turn all of them over to the Iranians...or to the World Court in the Hague...let them be tried as the criminals they are.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: A wonderful idea ... Bush and his allies have totally fucked up this country ... and they have gotten away with it ... I do hold the hope that this new generation of voters for change can help "right" the direction of this country.... AS Jc has told use on many occasions "We cannot go Home" .... I do hope that we can go forward with some sense of care for others .... and criminals they are and totally sickening to say the least will 'dance' in hell with each other....

Goblue

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You're kind...my term has always been "rot in hell"...when it comes to Bush, Cheney and the whole damn sick crowd. Their crimes against humanity make some of the executed war criminals of history look like a bunch of choir boys...and the American people sat on their hands while it was going on. Didn't many Germans do the same thing during the Holocaust?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: I know there are like 30 different theories about the decline of Motown.... but in the Atlantic Monthly (July/Aug) issue has an interesting article about urban decline, etc.... It might be available on line, too....

"Why Crime is Coming Back - and Why No One Wants to talk About It" Hanna Rosin ...... I think that it has merit. I think for the book we need to do a Letterman ToP 10 Reasons for the Eastside becoming an Urban Prairie........

Goblue

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Just read the Atlantic article online...the issue seems to be like wrestling an octopus...thank God my dad put the immediate quash on any idea I NEVER had about becoming a cop. I saw some of the same sort of thing developing in Richmond, IN when I was supt. there...a small town of only 30K that had once been a thriving industrial location...gangs, urban decay, poverty, lousy schools...a shrinking and oblivious middle class.

One of the major reasons for the transition of the Eastside from a working class community to an urban prairie would have to be the lack of leadership...those who might have become the next generation of leaders left the city.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Right on ! and actually civil rights allowed what ever middle class that was trapped on the eastside in the 60's to move (both black and white) ... and they did and "Crack House" mania began .... I just don't see anything that would bring JOBS back .... so the prairie will grow and grow ....

Goblue

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: "Crack House" mania is so apt...I have no idea why I did it but sometime in the mid-90's I was in Detroit and drove down Fordham...it was at dusk (how's that for crazy?)...the windows on our house were boarded up but there were lights on inside...the next time I did it was in broad daylight...after my mother's funeral in '96 with my nephew who was carrying his 9mm...the house had been burned and the fire had spread to the houses on either side...the rubble was still there...the reason the house had been burned was obvious.

Maybe it's just as well that the prairie spreads...maybe it's just as well that the city shrinks back to it's 1900 boundaries...maybe the remaining decent neighborhoods that exist on the fringes (e.g. east of Hayes) be reconfigured into independent entities...I dunno...I'm just wandering and wondering.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: For all of our parents hard work we are the lucky ones ..... in SOOOOOOOOO many ways .... for the upbringing that was provided.....

Goblue

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I truly believe that we lived at the pinnacle of the Eastside...perhaps of our society...our parents made it happen...the upbringing...the values...the commitment. I don't feel that our generation did as good a job.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I think that is why the 08 election is truly significant ... either we start to make some needed changes or .... we might need to pack up our friends, family and others we might like to hang out with and all head for Costa Rica ......the Pacific side .... and just party until our number is called....

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Timing is everything. Our parents happened to settle in an area that enjoyed the spoils of post WWII......a seemingly homogenous society, pent up demand for material goods, rapid growth in population (baby boom)....all in a setting of tree lined streets, good schools, shopping and recreation...Did our parents "values" create that environment, sustain it?....Yes, at least for one generation (The epilogue of the eastside book can be written by sociology pundits)
Meanwhile, Where's Ralph Nader? ES: Next time he's in the Haight-Ashbury area let me know..I still need him to sign my Corvair picture.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Get some oil.... GB will pay for the gas ... OD will want to drive by SD's house .... was it a Spyder Corvair? get it fired up so that we can get in it and when that spinal cord RN is in area one can run over the bastard. He is the reason we have had Bush for 8 years ...

The epilogue will be authored by US - You included! We know the experience better than any pundit ..... JC has told us over and over and over....You can't go back home..... but the experiences were real...

Goblue

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: There is no there there!

You are correct...we have Nader and Sandra Day O'Connor to thank for Bush.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 577
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, GB; Thought I'd share a vacation photo taken in July 04 in someone's kitchen on Haight St. in SF. Ralph Nader is hardly what you'd call a spinal cord...one of the most insightful and articulate politicians I've heard (No, I don't subscribe to all his viewpoints but he was impressive.) I get the feeling, and maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, that you're not making a donation to the George W Bush library building fund!?
The 66 Corvair was not a Spyder. I'm not sure if the Spyder model was available in 66. The neighbors across the street on Eastwood had one, I believe a 69)...boy it was sweet (7 and Kelly Kid can vouch for that). I forgot to thank Ralph for causing GM to add stabilizer bars to the Corvair model starting in 65. My continued existence today could possibly be do to Ralph's vigilance and untiring pursuit of consumer safety issues.

Goblue

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: It's hard to disagree with you about Nader...he had his place...and he was a charismatic leader...however, I really think he let his ego get the better of him...and, I agree with ES...along with Sandra Day O'Connor he is the key reason our country has suffered so for the last eight years. Laughing...nope, no donation to Bush...except maybe a plane ticket to the Hague for his trial...there is a story in today's Times quoting the general who conducted the torture investigation...he says that the thing started in the White House...and that they're war criminals. What a sad state of affairs for a country that once was a beacon in the world.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR/GB: I a wondering if GWB will actually have his library in Saudi Arabia ???? and not in Texas. The Bin Ladin wing - Oil Wing - Miss Deeds Wing .... and so on....

KR: Roommate at MSU had a black Spyder that could really book...

Goblue

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I think Saudi A. would be an excellent place for the fool to have his library...perhaps daddy could donate some of his $6M a year that he gets from the Saudi's for "consulting".

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nadar was sleeping on a plane ride and his cheek rested against the window, and then what happened was that he got some kind of muscle paralysis in his face because of it. So that is why he talks like he does now. I never hear of that before and I wonder why he didn't sue the airlines as he is a lawyer.
But he sure has some great points on politics, I think Obama took his online contribution thing and kicked it up a couple of levels. BTW the Corvair was a great car IMO.

Goblue

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad his tongue didn't get paralyzed...these days he just runs his mouth with tired cliches.

Not sure why the airline might be at fault because a fool ends up with paralysis from sleeping against a window....more than likely he suffer a minor stroke...can't believe that he was flying cattle class.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty: HE SCREWED US BIG TIME ......... that is the bottom line!

Goblue

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: There is always a time to exit the stage...Nader's time was five years ago!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: HOW ABOUT TAKING THE I 94 OVER TO JJABA'S... NADER COULD RELATE BETTER TO THE WESTSIDERS WHERE TIME IS STILL A MYSTERY..... THE NAME "RALPH" SAYS IT ALL...... HURL NADER ... AND OTHERS COME TO THE FOREFRONT ....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 579
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are pretty rough on Ralph. Can't you dig that he's looking out for you?...He's got his eye on corporate America....and protecting you. that's right, You. You who flipped over in Corvairs, burned in rear-ended Pintos, poisoned by laced Tylenol, or harmed by "leaky" microwaves. Yes, you (at this point God Bless America fades in) who need governance to decide what is safe and right (the camera zooms in on a young Ralph testifying before congress) NADER: "Still making a difference in Presidential Elections"

KR: a registered Ralph Nader gadfly and kibitzer of the esteemed Eastside constituency.

(Message edited by kellyroad on June 23, 2008)

Goblue

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: All of the issues you've cited are 30-40 years old...Covairs, Pintos, Tylenol, microwaves...anybody who trusts corporate America is beyond foolish...but...the issue are far more complex than product liability...the military-industrial complex that Eisenhower warned about has taken over the country under Bush-Cheney...our moral standing in the world is all but destroyed...our environment is raped...the U.S. Constitution is a joke to these people...this is not Nader's game...he is a product of the 60's...along with Sandra Day O'Connor he bears the responsibility for Bush-Cheney...his time to exit the stage was a decade ago...he is a sad anachronistic fool...who obviously still appeals to gadflies...I truly don't mean to be insulting...but...this election isn't about parties...or whatever...it's about saving our country.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Glad you understand the tongue-in-cheek Nader commentaries. Yes, you are correct... he's yesterday's anarchist. Actually when I heard his 20 minute kitchen speech in SF there was very little regarding corporate greed or product liability. (IMHO, Sandra Day O'Connor wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for Ralph). Many of his supporters seemed like the "Berkley" crowd wanting to shell out to rub elbows with an ideologue. Ralph's espousing in 04 made both Gore's and Kerry's politics seem just right of Attila the Hun.....No secret he stole from Gore's base in 00. You are right GB...the election is about saving the country and the leadership to do so...and getting elected

Eastside61

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: SAVE What America truly stands for is the issue .. If not the party is over no matter what party you might lean towards....

ES61. Proudly, Still working at the Obama HQR's in Palo Alto

Goblue

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Obama doesn't have an office up here...but...these days I'm working the phone bank for our local Democratic candidate for congress...she'll replace the Bushie crook who has been indicted.

You are absolutely correct...in eight years we have gone from being a moral beacon in the world to a despised disgrace...anyone who doesn't think that is true needs to use their passport for a trip other than on a cruise ship or at an all inclusive island resort...it doesn't take much to get out and talk to people...cab drivers, waiters, etc.