Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Archive through June 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"not in time on the 2-out double from Maglio." Over and out.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2390
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno... that "White Sox can implode" business, I know they could, but I'm more thinking that they will be in it for the long haul, and may even improve. Also, I just can't believe that the Indians are going to continue to flounder like they have been. It is the Twins who I think are on the downslide. You can lose only so many players. Santana & Hunter split, Cuddyer sputters, pretty soon you're eating dirt.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine...I said after last season that it would be Detroit and CWS fighting for the central.

Indians...well..if they feel they don't have a team that can win it, CC will be gone to the highest bidder. They are suspect and have more flaws than the tigers I think. The indians are all the same players, Detroit brought in a bunch of NL'ers that are just starting to adapt and play as a group...can only go up.

I agree with your sentiments on the twinsies...as long as M&M keep stroking it, they'll be ok, but you can't rely on 2 guys and expect Delmon Young and...whats his face, the uber fast kid?

I think it will come down to Detroit and the Sox...and people will start to realize just how HUGE the sweep of the White Sox 2 weeks ago.

As of the last 3 weeks...the tigers are probably the 4th or 5th best team in baseball...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8231
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alas if only the last three weeks were the entire season. I've been throughly impressed with the timely hitting that the Tigers have been doing. Sometimes it's been with the long ball which still scares me. I know they have the capability to do so, but based upon the dimensions of Comerica Park and the types of players we have, I'd still much rather see small ball and advancing runners.

Outside of Magglio, Cabrera, Thames (as of late) and maybe a touch of Guillen (from the left side)- I don't consider our team a long ball hitting sort of team. I thought in 2006, the basis for our team winning were based upon getting on base with the likes of Polanco, Granderson, and the cast of many.

If somehow the strength of this team has gone to long ball, I haven't seen enough of it and would still like to see it focused upon strong pitching and getting men on base.

Ravine

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, yeah, Carlos Gomez, you mean. Scott Baker & Glen Perkins may work out to be mainstays in their starting rotation, too, but I think there is a good chance that we are correct in (reservedly) counting them as being on the underside of the division, this season.
Of course, I'm sure that you & Smogboy are with me when I hasten to acknowledge the fact that, on a head-to-head individual-game basis, they worry me plenty, the feisty little bastards.
And, let's not forget to mention Joe Nathan, one of the finest top-tier closers of this decade.
Har! Joe Nathan... who the relentlessly self-defeating and irredeemably dumb-assed San Francisco Giants traded, along with Boof Bonser & Francisco Liriano, to the Twins for A.J. Pierzynski, only to release the still-productive and currently successful catcher one year later... Ya just couldn't make this stuff up...

Smogboy

Post Number: 8236
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here here! Agreed with ya there Ravine. The Twinkies have always worried me. They've been quietly hanging around like a bad smell and will always give us fits. Guys like Mauer behind the plate will always anchor that team's offense along with Mourneau. It might partially be that Metrodome mystique they have but I'd never count the Twins out of the running.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Tigers!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 592
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be in town for the Cards games Wed/Thurs. My nephew wanted to see Pujois but he's on the DL until Friday. Too bad for my nephew but good for the Tigs. Cards have a good hitting line-up. Should be a tougher test than the NL West teams.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw games in SF and San Diego last week.

Both stadiums were fantastic and San Diego had as more people sporting the Old English D than any away game I have been to.

And walking away with two hard fought victories made it all that much better.

Detroitking
Username: Detroitking

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thump, Thump! Are there any other forums you want to post that on?

Smogboy

Post Number: 8246
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm actually going to be taking a few friends down to the ballpark Tuesday PM to hopefully see some more of this continuing resurgence by our lads. One of the guys I'm going with hasn't been to Comerica Park yet (transferred out of state) so I'm looking forward to getting there early so he can soak in all of the atmosphere. I'm just hoping for another solid performance by Kenny Rogers and the bats come alive big time.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 599
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, make sure you're one of the 1st 10,000 to get your Tigers 68 road jersey. Sheffield is activated and hitting 7th tonight. So much for my wish that he get 2 wks of minor league ab's. Based on everything we've heard I just don't see how his shoulder can have enough strength yet to hit with that swing, let alone have his timing back.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8252
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tip 401don! Methinks I might leave now and get down there for the freebie.

I too wish that guys re-habbing would stay down a little longer, especially when the team is doing well. What's the rush?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the rush? Sheffield has pictures on Leyland.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least hitting 7th we have a chance to score a few early runs before his pops out or hits into a double play. Don't dare come back Sheffield and try to hit a ball to right. You've been doing it this way for so many years, God forbid you should adapt your swing a little and start going with the pitch, that would question your manhood.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8253
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from the game and while it was disappointing to see the Tigers lose, there was some nice highlights to take in. Seeing the Guillen double play and the Kenny Rogers pick off was a fun way to start the game. Sheffield going yard was also nice. But I would've still traded all of that in for a victory.

And 401don, the freebie shirts were gone by 5:00 at the gate we went to, but I do appreciate the heads up on it. It was a fun night for my friend's first visit to Comerica but again, the night's results on the scoreboard were less than satisfying.

Did I also mention that the weather was PERFECT for a ballgame? Seeing the 1968 Tigers lining up before the game was awe inspiring and emotional for me as well; knowing what they did back then during the tough times of Detroit was remarkable. A few of them looked fit and trim enough to go out there and shag a few too.

Ggores

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attendance was what? 44,500? 3rd largest in Tigers history? Didn't Tiger Stadium once hold 51,000?

Early on, there were some really interesting plays. And I wish I had a radio to hear what the hub-bub was about in the 4th (I think) when an unruly ball was lobbed out from the St. Louis dugout. I don't know WHAT happened exactly, could someone clarify? But this brings another observation I made - no radios. I remember portable radios all over the place at Tiger Stadium so that you could hear the play call. Does not Comerica allow radios? Again, please clarify. Oh, and for the Tigers play itself - heh, all I can say is - Jet Lag. One last remark. John Hiller was my favorite and it was super-cool to see him. And Freehan. And Gates. And Lolich. And Stanley. Denny... oh boy... hey, it was good to see him as well. Finally, there are more times, oddly enough, where I'd much prefer a single or a double, than a home-run. I think we all agree all that one, and obviously, so do opposing pitchers.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8255
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still not sure about the initial intent of Comerica Park designers there Ggores. Was it supposed to attract pitchers to our team? Lord knows if you were a prospective homerun hitter trying to achieve certain numbers, Comerica Park would not be the place for you to hang your hat.

Personally I'm a much bigger fan of small ball- seeing the team move the runners from station to station (kind of what the Cards did to the Tigers Tuesday night), as opposed to hoping for the occasional home run. I also think it's much more entertaining from a fan's point of view. There's strategies to be played, certain hitters for certain scenarios, pitching match-ups and if it so happens that the home team is the one advancing the runners one base at a time, we as fans get to enjoy the rally that much more. Don't get me wrong- an occasional HR is great but sometimes it's up and done with awfully quick.

As someone who's also played the game, it also plays on an opposing team's psyche when the team at the plate seemingly can't do any wrong.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8256
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Ggores, I think that 44,500 number was for Comerica Park attendance records and not all time Tiger attendance.

Ggores

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, what the hell was I thinking? Mah mind wanders too much! Thanks for the correction Smog. Dang.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8263
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No sweat at all Ggores. They actually played the trivia game with those numbers last night on the scoreboard and I thought the same too for a split second until I read that it was for Comerica Park. My mind wandered and my eye brow peaked for just a split second too with those numbers.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 563
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOOM-BOOM go the Cards in the 1st inning vs the Tigers' Galarraga...no pecking away at the Tigers' pitcher that time.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 564
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carlos likes swinging in the rain...just swinging in the rain, what a wonderful feeling...

unfortunately, so does Ankiel.

Tie game 5-5 in 5 with a rain delay.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on June 25, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7324
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will this rain delay end? Come on. Nice filler from 2005 BTW. I've only seen it 10 times.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 759
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boy, more John Keating now.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course Ankiel would hit a homer directly before the rain delay. If the Tigers had been able to get out of the top of the 5th, they were in a position to win an official game, in case of a rainout.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 565
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todd Jones was imitating with faux long hair, Maggs famous walkoff HR to win the 2006 ALCS on the tarp...

LOL!!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radar looks decent--any update on resuming the game? I'm watching on MLB.tv so are they saying anything locally?

Ravine

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leyland refers to his pal LaRussa as a "mentor."

It doesn't show. LaRussa has his guys playing the game the right way, executing so many of the Little Things that, over time, result in Winning. Leyland... does not.

And, DO NOT hit me with any comments about "National League-style" baseball. "National League-style," my ass. Whitey Herzog had the Kansas City Royals doing that shit all the time. It has nothing to do with the size of the parks, the way the teams are put together, the DH, or the imaginary "different strike zone." It's about knowing what the fuck to do, and getting your players to fuckin' do it. Leyland seems to have his strong points, and I actually like him quite a bit, but I think he gets too much of an almost-free pass, around here. I used to think he was a guy who just pretended to have no idea of what he was doing.

Ravine

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, Downriviera? If you are hinting that you find John Keating to be excruciatingly annoying and nearly intolerable, you have my unreserved support.