Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through June 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 839
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my days at SJS, I remember coming home in the afternoon for a nice Hawaiian punch...the good kind. Does this still come in the half-gallon cans?

Go Jets!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's in plastic jugs now, not cans. And several flavors. I always liked the original or the grape.
Grape and Cheeto's were one of my favorite after school snacks, as well as hangover cures, later in life.
Go Jet's cheerleaders

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean the kind that if you didn't drink it all in a couple of days would start to rust?

Jcole

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And you get that delicious tinny taste, as well as flecks of rust

Zitro

Post Number: 831
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like the good ole' days.

Zitro

Post Number: 832
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember having fruit cellars in your basement. I loved going sown there and grabbing a jar of something that had been sitting there for months and stirring up spiders the size of a baseball.

(Message edited by zitro on June 27, 2008)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still have the fruit cellar in the basement - currently spiderless - but many jars of "put-up" jams, jellies, etc., - as well as the standard crap that you can't part with because you'll definitely need it sometime! The New Era Chip Can, now THAT I'll use again sometime!
K&K - the official food of the SJS alumni slackers.

Jcole

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our fruit cellar was originally designed to be the coal bin, where they dumped the coal for the furnace down the chute. We got a gas furnace before I was born, so they turned that into the fruit cellar. I swear, until we left there in 73, there was still coal dust filtering up out of the floor. That, and the spiders made for a fun trip downstairs to get the canned tomatoes.

Zitro

Post Number: 833
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: It is so decreed: K&K - The Official Food of the SJS alumni slackers

Zitro

Post Number: 834
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My older brother would love to turn the lights off on me when I was on the side of the basement with that big old honking furnace. I swear that thing was alive!

Jcole

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a real phobia about our basement, and I can even tie it into he SJS thread. Does anyone remember the old chalk and pencil drawings of President Washington and Lincoln that hung in the grade school in the early 60's? When they decided to get rid of those, Frank the janitor gave them to my dad and he hung them downstairs. At about that time, we had a total eclipse of the sun, so it must have been 63 or 62. My older sister and her boyfriend used to sit in the basement and neck, and I would go down and bother them all the time. Finally, Bob got fed up and told me that if I kept coming down, on the day of the eclipse, Abe would come out of the frame and take me back inside with him and I would live in his eyes forever. From that day on until I was 17, I would not go into the basement unless someone went down and turned on the lights or went down with me. I had nightmares for years that one of our greatest presidents was out to get me and I literally couldn't look at his picture til I was an adult.
Thanks, sis

7andkelly

Post Number: 840
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rust flakes, tin cans, coal bins, fruit cellars, spiders, Frank, old honkin' furnaces, pictures of dead presidents...if this ain't SJ nostalgia, I don't know what is.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on June 27, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 835
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my creepiest basement story, not trying to one up JC because your's is a good one.

It's 3rd grade and our teacher Mrs. Huget tells us about how Fr. Marquette is entombed in the basement of St. Annes Church. She explains her husband and her asked at the rectory to go into the basement to see it.

That summer, Tom Godmire and Chuck Stepp and I decide to take little bike ride. Mrs. Huget had mentioned St. Annes was down near the Ambassador Bridge, I'd been downtown a few times with my parents and I knew kind of where the bridge was in relationship to Tiger Stadium. So we had down Gratiot on our bikes in search of St. Annes.

We end up on this railroad trestle and finally I see the bridge and eventually found our way to the church. We knock on the rectory door and I tell the priest why were there and he asks us where we're from. I tell him the NE side and he understandably is surprised.

We go into the church with the Reverend and I remember there being all of these crutches up by the altar and supposedly they were from people who were healed from praying and didn't need them anymore.

He leads us to the door that went down into this basement, he turns on the light and tells us to head on down. We get about half way down and off to the left there's this big hole the wall and I could see there were picks and shovels and dirt, just then the Good Reverend turns the lights out on us! PITCH blackness! It seemed he left them off for hours but it was only seconds. We turn around and he's laughing to beat hell.

Somehow he coaxed up to continue on and when we got to the bottom we turned right instead of left and the area where Fr. Marquette was entombed was all tiled in from the wall and his grave marker was on it. Nice guy huh?

We ended up going to Lafayette Coney Island and to Cobo Hall to see the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame too. All at about what were we then 8-9 years old?

I swear I didn't tell my parents about this until I was 30 and my mother almost fainted when I did.

Jcole

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, it's no wonder you're not a big religion booster, now is it? That was just cruel.
We did the craziest things as kids, stuff that would get any normal kid today killed. The viaduct you were on was probably that little beauty that is next to the train station where all the homeless sleep. You can see Ste. Anne's from there.
I used to get on my bike and just go to see whatever took my fancy, and apparently you did, too.
Did you ever tell Mrs. Huget about your field trip?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - that priest was a jerk. Wouldn't have wanted to be one of his altar boys.

My older sister & I used to take the bus down Gratiot then walk all the way down E. Grand Boulevard to Belle Isle to spend the day. That was OK with the folks.

Seemed we ventured out great distances on our bikes. The only caveat was to always have a dime in our pocket to call home from a pay phone if we got in trouble.

I'm not sure my grandkids are allowed to go around the block without supervision.

We were blessed to grow up in the 50s & 60s.

7andkelly

Post Number: 843
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stories!

Zitro

Post Number: 836
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: No way! She would have ratted me out to my parents. We knew we shouldn't be doing what we did. That was a secrest kept for many a year before divulging it.

I feel emancipated!

Zitro

Post Number: 837
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Once you got past the Blvd on Gratiot things were kind of dicey, it's not like it was all just safe even then.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC and Z; Those are both great stories. You could have been writers for Night Gallery.

Z: Gabriel Richard is entombed at St. Anne. Is Fr. Marquette also? That was an incredible adventure to St. Anne especially from north east Detroit to the foot of the Ambassador bridge, especially considering your age and mode of transportation.

Zitro

Post Number: 838
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: You're right is was Gabriel Richard not Fr. Marquette. Has anyone else ever visited his crypt?

Jcole

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to Grand Circus when I was somewhat older, probably 15, and by then it was pretty dicey. There was this old woman dressed in a white habit dancing in the fountain with her arms above her head and praising the Lord. It was wierd, but mesmerizing.

Jcole

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, does anyone remember that even though we did these extreme bike and bus trips all over the city without too many reprecussions, not too many of them went to the west side. It was like we hit Woodward and the great divide stopped us, unless it was Tiger stadium or the Coney's. Only school or church trips got us to Edgewater and Walled Lake.
We were such Eastsiders.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I was out drinking with that gal the night before you saw her.

I don't think I married that one.

Jcole

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you did, the booze washed it away, so no harm, no foul

Kellyroad

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: The west side was like another city. The downtown stuff like Coneys or even Tiger stadium I don't believe came under the umbrella of the great divide. Edgewater Park, as you pointed out, seemed to be the only reason to cross Woodward or John R. St. Mary of Redford was the only parish on the west side I heard about as a kid....that parish was similar to SJ as far as a hugh school enrollment and explosive population growth in the far corner of the city.. You're right...you could go any where with in the city. All that was needed was bus fare and transfers and a vague familiarity of bus stops. ....the DSR had buses every 10 minutes so not to worry if you missed the bus.

Zitro

Post Number: 839
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my standpoint as far back as I can remember we used to go the Fireman's Field Day every year and they would have contest between the West and Eastsiders, so it was cemented in at an early age the West Side was bad.

Jcole

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to go to the Police field day, and there was always the tug o' war between East/West. Same deal.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 595
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: been by St. Anne several times (the mexican restaurant area). There is a plaque designating St. Anne as a historical site and detailing it as the oldest parish in Detroit (2nd oldest in the U.S.A.) and housing the tomb of GR....never been inside.

Zitro

Post Number: 840
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would interesting to know if they still have the crutches and such up by the altar

Jcole

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someday when I go down, I'll take a sidetrip and see if they'll let me in. The sad thing is you probably have to make an appointment.
I think I'm doing a job down there is a few weeks on Woodward and Jefferson, so we'll see.