Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through June 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2075
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tango is generally barefoot...but he does wear boots when we ride in the mountains...planning a trip to Bryce Canyon...he'll be in boots for a week.

The only thing worse than ES's saddle shoes were those godawful white bucks that he was still wearing when he taught at S.Eastern.

Ain't no home to go back to...there is no there there!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When he wore white bucks, did he sing 'April Love'?

(Message edited by jcole on June 21, 2008)

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 684
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Be sure to close the buckles on Tango's galoshes so no snow gets in, just like your mom made you do in the old days.

Goblue

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: I think ES is a first cousin to Pat Boone.

Jcole

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than his brother

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc/GB: You two should do stand up at some bar in East Pointe ....
It is very strange how GB knows about wearing Saddle shoes and white bucks ... and the 61 groupies were never caught up in that stuff .... I must say that i still do love my penny loafers, deck shoes and crocs ..... Croc's 4/1 to 10/1 on a daily basis..... which means I have croc dots which I am sure you two are clueless about ... Jc still searching the Thumb area for saddle shoes she can burn and GB riding through the Mt.'s of AZ spreading 'White Buck Chalk Dust" over the trails..... The class of 1961 both January and June were the most style conscious group of grads the Heilmann area (see I worked it in) ever produced.... and I cannot wait to hear from both of you..... Pat Boone...are you for real.... 61ers were rockin' to Frantic Ernie Durham and not some pseudo white guy like Pat B.....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 689
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the radio ads for Connie Kaletta and the Motor City Speedway? His son Scott was killed in a fiery crash yesterday.

http://www.comcast.net/article s/sports-general/20080621/NHRA -Driver.Killed/

Jcole

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, while I may not own a pair of Crocs, and probably won't, I assume Croc dots are the little bits of suntan all over your feet, or do you buy the little charms, called Jibbets, that go in the holes for decoration?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Thanks for recognizing real stylin' and the role that dots play in todays world. Being very eclectic about most music .. I do hope that you as a younger eastsider didn't focus to much on Pat Boone... Rock on Motown!

Jcole

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, just in the respect that his white bucks matched his shoes, I didn't really pay much attention. Besides, he was before my time.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Not totally clear as to your time frame ???? I do know the TF for OD and GB which was earlier than myself .... so Pat B would fit those circus performers when they danced around the eastside....

Jcole

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graduated HS in 74

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 696
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: If it wasn't for the GB and OD generation challenging the musical boundaries of the early '50s, you would still be dressing like a '40s hep cat while sedated in your easy chair listening to Tommy Dorsey music. What? You say you are?

Goblue

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I don't think so...ES was always more of a Lawrence Welk sort of guy. SHY said the only dance he could do was the fox trot that he learned in gym class at Columbus...1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4...s aid it bored her silly...especially since she was a girl who could really shake it!

Jcole

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, I have yet to figure out if you were born in '61, or graduated that year

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 700
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: ES never graduated, and there's still some questionable circumstances concerning his birth.

GB: That was before the Haight-Asbury years. I saw a Travel Channel episode on San Fran awhile back, and there was a guy who looked a lot like ES in his zoot suit with the big hat and key chain down to his knees. I admit I didn't get a real good look though. They cut away as soon as he started annoying the girls.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Thanks for the compliment..... so with that said I think you can figure it out, although Gb and OD will be all over your compliment above so get ready or maybe I should get ready.....The two white guy freaks never learned to dance ... and once again it was the Stylin' class of 61 that had it together in so many ways..... I actually began teaching HS biology at SE 5 years before you ever thought about attending Regina.......by '74 I was locked into supporting the needs of special education children in the Cupertino / Palo Alto area of CA........

Jcole

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, you actually began teaching at SE two years after my husband began teaching English and History at Plymouth HS.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: What a great area Plymouth was and I hope it remains the same a s I remember it.... I did love teaching at SE ..... my parents had attended and both grad. in '32. At the 50 year anniversary of the school in 67 they held a special night for all alumni and friends of the school.... So I was in my biology classroom and my parents came and about 5 minutes later into the classroom comes this tiny little lady all dressed up .... and she walks right up to my parents as she was their biology teacher back in the day.....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The whole Plymouth / Northville area is still very nice. A little pocket of paradise surrounded by west side desolation.

Goblue

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/Jc/OD: I hope you got a pic of you, your parents, and their biology teacher...interesting story. I wonder why SE59 didn't go to that anniversary...we were still living in Harper Wds. in '67. By the time you got to CA in '74 we had parted company and I was in B'ham, AL at UAB...but by '75 I was Dir. of Research for A2 Schools...near Plymouth.

I can still see ES...1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4...while SHY was shaking it...the only time he tried to learned to dance he just ended up doing what Billy Crystal called the "whiteman's overbite". Lord, it was embarrassing to see.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: U 4 REal? .... Even the SE "White Knight" had 150 black students enrolled in Biology - 2700 others that I had some contact with - 40% of the Staff was ethnic - and even the local 'prostitutes" who hung around Goethe - and Fairview ( a reason most male staff took outside campus duty) ANYWAYS ... I still have all the moves down and can make most of them ..... "I Be in with the In-Crowd" and can SAY it LOUD i'M Black and I'm Proud"

Goblue

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Still doin' the "whiteman's overbite", eh?

Your story was back in the days when jivin' with the street hookers was no more than jivin'. I remember driving up John R to the Ford after dropping SE59 off at her dorm at Harper Hosp...top down on my '56 Sunliner...jivin' with the hookers at the cross streets..."Hey boy, you want to have some fun? How much is that fun gonna cost me? Depends on how much fun you want to have." The light would change and I'd drive on...never did believe in paying a professional when there were so many good amateurs.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Doin' Drive by on John R with the Johns was cool ... remember that I went to WSU in the late 60's BUT.....BUT went to the ghetto 5 days a week.... for almost 6 years.....

Goblue

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: By the late 60's the atmosphere had changed considerably...not for that reason but, we left Detroit in '69...the first of many moves. I do admire what it meant to work at SE for those years...you made a difference.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Ya all .... GB and I we be friends...... Go Junglaleers!"Purple Power".....

Goblue

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Damyankee! The word is ya'll! Of course we are friends...and colleague educators...once upon a time my '56 Sunliner had a braided Denby and SE grad tassel hanging from the rear view mirror...had to have been the only one in the city.

Excuse me....I gotta go puke!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: "Kissing the Porcelean Queen" Ralphing Hurl Up-chuck
sounds like a frat rush party .... or a bad date .... or what OD did during this whole stay in CA........

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Wondering if the Denby and SE tassel colors clashed. May have been an omen of things to come.

SE: Actually CA was pretty nice in the '50s. Didn't start going bad until a bad element began intruding in the '70s, mostly around the Bay area.

Goblue

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Never thought about it...but yeah, I guess they did clash...gold and 50/50 purple & white...it seemed like a good idea at the time...lots of things did!