Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through June 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been inside St. Anne's once - but little did I know the SJ history! Good Going Z - and sorry, I DID get a chuckle out of that priestly prank! My Great Aunt lived on 17th Street off Michigan - her house is the only one left on the block and is still in good condition. We'd go over there all the time and watch the trains - when I worked at the Book Bldg. I'd go over there for lunch - never felt afraid - it was actually kinda a step back into the old days.
Used to drive to 7 and Gratiot take the bus to the Blvd. then take the Grand Belt bus to the Fisher building and work at a Drs office during the summers while in highschool. Parking was too expensive downtown, so I'd always take the bus whether to TS - or work.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just grateful I lived through it to tell the story.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're grateful too - That was an unbelievable trek...on a bike...in the 60s. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???

Zitro

Post Number: 843
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking? I was 8 there was no thinking at that age. Hell, I can barely think now.

Zitro

Post Number: 844
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I meant heck. Go Jets! :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the summer, all I had to do was tell my mom I was going to Heilmann or to a friends house and we were having a picnic, and she'd pack me a sandwich in a bag, and I was gone for the day. As long as I was home for dinner, no biggie. I made many a bike ride to Lake St. Clair or 7 and Gratiot, and was never missed.
After the riots, my dad had a bunch of K Rations that were left over from the 82nd Airborn, and we would take those and go off for the day. That's when I started smoking. There were tiny little packs of four cigarettes w/ waterproof matches in each K Ration.

Zitro

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just going up to Heilmann" was a very convenient excuse to do the things we wanted to do. No cell phones to track you down. Just the sun going down as your warning sign.

Zitro

Post Number: 846
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ant hill provided great cover for many a covert operation. 360 degree view and no one could tell who was inside.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being home when the street lights went on ----now that was a universal "call to bikes". I remember whalin' down Rex to get home on time - no bike helmets back then - and someone was probably sitting on the handlebars or back fender seat!

Jcole

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Z, exactly

Zitro

Post Number: 847
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kids in the COD can't use the lights going on as gauge anymore because they don't work.

Jcole

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have to know which constellations come out at which time. It's much more educational that way

Zitro

Post Number: 848
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did every neighborhood have a kid who wore a Tiger hat and rode a bike with a basket on the front and a horn and wore high white socks and let's say wasn't all there? We had a couple and you didn't want to be mean but you didn't dare talk to them because it was like giving milk to a cat.

Zitro

Post Number: 849
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I see it's all part of KK's grandiose plan for the bringing the D up to speed for the next millenium. Clever, and I thought he was just an over weight spoiled momma's boy who everyone is just picking on. My bad.

Jcole

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's all part of the master plan for Detroit in the 21st Century. Advanced astronomy is just the beginning. There are also free courses in self defense, Entrepreneurial classes in owning your own scrapping business, and other enterprises, health courses for taking care of your own wounds and agriculture in planting crops in your back yard.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 851
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solid Tigs win!

HAJ blew it of course, and the old man was nuts to leave him in so long, but it was great watching Migs do what he does so well...blast one up the gap!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 602
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rayburn, Migs keep it going...TJ says thanks for the pick me up.... different heros on different nights.....team ball. ST. JUDE does not need to intercede.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 603
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7kxl1NC5Q7E

All: Don't know if you guys every caught this but check it out. It's a real a St. Jude charmer.

7 and Kelly Kid: Use caution before viewing

7andkelly

Post Number: 852
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: This is an awesome find! Thanks for posting this.

7andkelly

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you know someone didn't already light a candle in the St. Jude Chapel with an intention or a mention for the Tigs? It was looking very much hopeless for them just last month.

Zitro

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed a great find. Thanks KR!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 605
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: I was always taught that St. Jude was reserved for truly hopeless cases of things despaired of. Perhaps when the tigs were 12 under someone did light a candle....but maybe a prayer to St. Anthony was made so as they could FIND a way to win the way they should...Besides it's along season.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remember the take home message on the Sr. Leonita video...."She snacked on some junior mints"

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - That was wonderful! Thanks for the St. Jude Memory!

7andkelly

Post Number: 854
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite movie snacks are Raisinettes and Junior Mints.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: If that was Sr. Leonita's first time to a movie, I wonder how familiar she was with traditional movie snacks. Did she have Junior Mints before? Was she familiar with Snow Caps (my favorite) Raisinettes, Juicy Fruits, or Goobers?

7andkelly

Post Number: 855
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for J to come back and post some more pictures of her sister's wedding! Who knows? Maybe that was Jack Benny!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And bring me my stipend!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 615
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wierd coincidence...just saw part of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Jerry toss a Junior Mint into an open abdomen while observing a surgery.