Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I am back, but they had pretty much the same pics that I already posted. And, no, Jack wasn't there, it was his look a like cousin, my Uncle Jack Kubiak

Jcole

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember Sr. Leonita. Was she there between 61-70?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was our principal for a few years - at least between 65-68
Z, do you remember?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 857
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, at least you're back! We do worry so.

Jcole

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, thank you. I'm very tired and very full. It was one long festival of eating, which happens whenever my family gets together. It begins when you get in the car, and doesn't end until you're back in your own bed again.
But it was very nice, and I saw a lot of people I usually only see at funerals, so quite festive in its way

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep she was our principal the years are close cfg. My only dealing with her I recall is one time in the parking lot in front of the convent she saw Bob Kocsis had a black eye and asked how it happened. We (Mike Kocsis) and I were having a snowball fight over his house during the weekend and Bob was the unfortunate recipient of a well placed snowball that may have had a little chunk of ice in it too. Sr. Leonita was "Very disappointed" in me.

Get in line Sister.

Jcole

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Kocis is the one who stuck his face in front of the snowball.
I must have only got in trouble with the homeroom teachers, because I just don't remember her, and I remember everyone who was 'disappointed' in me all through school

7andkelly

Post Number: 858
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tended to be a little absent minded when it came to remembering the bad stuff. Maybe that's why I was always sent home with notes pinned to my shirt!

I think somewhere there is a Bandaid box from Revco just filled with those pins.

Jcole

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have some of the tin boxes my mother used to save pins and such in, but I don't think I have any band-aid boxes. And actually, if it was Revco brand, it wasn't bandaid, it was Adhesive Bandages, or Adhesive strips.

Zitro

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I splained to her, I didn't ask him to move in front of the snowball.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Sr. Leonita was principal from the fall of 1960 thru the spring of 1966. She succeeded Sr. Thomas Annette and was replaced by Sr. Patricia Marie (Smiley). She ran SJS with a no nonsense approach. Some refered to her as Leo. Yes, she is the one that sent me home to change out of my cub scout uniform because I was a "disgrace" when talking during the PA announcements. Her interview was reminiscent of her approach to religion when she was principal...straight to the point, do not waiver
BTW, The very first post in the SJ thread in March has a photo that typifies Sr. Leonita

All: Two ironies with the Sr. Leonita video clip..
1.Somewhere there is a large glossy B&W photo of my dad (who was treasurer of the SJ Dad's club in the early 60s) presenting a large movie projector to Sr. Leonita as a gift to the school from the Dad's club. That projector was used to show many movies in the gym/auditorium.
2.I remember Sr. Leonita announcing and promoting school movie events at the Ramona Theater. That theater would be jammed with SJ kids..It was like a zoo........Interestingly, Sr. Leonita never set foot in a movie theater until the age of 104.

Jcole

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Smiley, and I even remember the name Sr. Thomas Annette, though she was there before I was, but Sr. Leonita just escapes me. Maybe I'm blocking. There must be a reason I don't remember her, when I remember everyone else.
I remember those Ramona movies. I think I mentioned them above a couple weeks back. It truly was a zoo. My sister worked the candy counter there in the early sixties, too.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was always the same lady with the gray bun sitting in the ticket booth selling the 50 cent tickets to the kids. In my AG days, I lived closer to the Ramona, and used to walk there - yes as an 8 year old, down Chalmers from Hazelridge and up 6 mile. Those were the days!

7andkelly

Post Number: 859
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, are you saying Sister was less than truthful in the interview?

You just can't let it go, can you?:-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 860
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, I'm pretty sure it was Bandaid brand bandaids purchased at Revco. Nothing but the best for little 7's boo boos.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on June 30, 2008)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing Monday's here and we can catch up on company time (except JC & I who are on duty 24/7).
Go Slackers (& Jets)!

JC - when can I expect to get my stipend? I'm sure you reminded your brother in law of his long-overdue responsibility this weekend.

7andkelly

Post Number: 861
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C (can I call you C?), I wouldn't know what the lady at the ticket counter looked like. We all stayed in the car while all the childrens' tickets were being purchased, and then walked in scootched down with hoods covering our faces to avoid scrutiny.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Sister Leonita would never tell a lie. She shot from the hip and told it like it is (was). Sister Leonita gave that interview shortly before her time was up and now is with the one whom she so fervently refered to.

7andkelly

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was certainly well armed...pen holster and fifteen decade rosary...at the hip...at the ready.

Kid being sassy in class...note home (pinned to shirt)...Kaboom.

Parents who didn't comply...rosary...KABOOM!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, 7, you can call me C -
Vivid memories of the ticket seller, as we stood in front of Monte's hamburgers before making our way across Gratiot. We stood in line and bought our own tickets - buffeted by the high winds, after walking 3 miles to the theater. You kids had it easy.

7andkelly

Post Number: 865
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course today I'm pulling out my student ID. It's always a tough choice between that and my AARP card.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought that I'd proudly present an AARP card, to get a hotel discount - to me, that's one step closer to retirement and freedom!

7andkelly

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a discount, I will present whatever it takes.

7andkelly

Post Number: 869
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...within limits, of course.

Zitro

Post Number: 854
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the bowling nationals they have brackets you can enter and they have a separate one for seniors over 50. First couple times I got it them I got carded. Talk about a weird feeling. I guess I should have been flattered they didn't think I looked 50 but it was strange just the same.

Jcole

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did 50 become senior? I remember when it was 62 to get the discounts, etc. I'm boycotting being a senior til the last possible moment. I may be one, but I don't have to feel like one.
So there too, nyah

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It DOES feel weird - and I didn't think Seniordom came at 50 - but I'll take the discounts....and it IS nice to get carded and asked for a License when pulling out the AARP card!

Jcole

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just not ready to join the grey panthers yet, that's all.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm allergic to hair dye - so I've grown accustomed to "God's Natural Highlights". That'll be the day that anyone will mistake me for a "Senior" by attitude or ambition or the length of my "things to do" list! If THAT ever happens, then it's off to the rocker on the porch! Or "off my rocker" one or the other. Can you tell I need a vacation?

Zitro

Post Number: 855
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Don't worry we'll know when yo're ready to join. We'll notice you start talking psycho babble and will be referring to your best friends as goats and horses.