Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through June 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 847
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...either that, or they were clothes pinned into my spokes.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 812
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Remember when KR negotiated the truce it stipulated everyone was to be nice from now on. Don't call GB a bore, even if it is true.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Not to worry...I considered the source and realized I had used too many multi-sylable words in that political discourse.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: Short History Lesson - after the disaster of the Demo 68 convention in Chicago both parties went to this primary system so that it killed off the convention backdoor deals and smoked filled room decisions..... It became a done deal so that the convention would become the launching pad for the nominee.....

Carey's: OD is right and they live between Salter and Morang on Parkgrove .... similar age fo some of the sisters but remember I went to a public school which limited my access to them ....

WHo ever considered GB / OD and myself OLD Dudes or even slightly boring? We are still rockin' but not from a chair ..... EB come join us life is to short!

Goblue

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yer right...old is as old does and Lord knows we're still doing...and NO one would EVER consider you and OD boring...or obcessive...or anal retentitve...or paranoid...or psychologically disoriented...or...or...'cuse me...I gotta go puke!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Come back soon .... we love the compliments Please rinse your mouth out this time .... Ok! list 10 more wonderful qualities ...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 815
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We may be used, but we're not used up.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: we are waiting go put some boots on those bare feet and get off of the cell with Howie ......

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 596
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Thanks for the observations and commentaries (IMHO they're interesting and valuable). Of course now local cable access brings the school board committee and/or local government right into your family room....a far cry from the 4 channel B&W tv enjoyed back during the days on EASTWOOD (I had to get that in). Have the tone and dynamics of school board politics changed in your experiences with the advent of cable tv coverage?

ES:Interesting observation on the 68 Democratic convention. From a east side perspective... NDHS was taught by the Marist order of brothers and priests. They were out of Framingham Mass...heavily supported Bobby Kennedy. His assassination (right at the end of the school year) along with the Chicago 7 riot turned many of traditional working middle class catholic supported democratic base over to the "silent majority" Nixon camp ("When style and charisma connotes the idea of contriving, of public relations, I don't buy it at all"--Richard Nixon in the 'Sellling of the President 1968)

7andkelly

Post Number: 848
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, thanks for the reminder about the "truce".

"Watch out for the old dude with the whammie" was intended mainly to be humorous...a Nixonesk icebreaker. "Old dude" while intended for descriptive purposes, as would be "young woman", "kid on the bike", or "cowboy", also served to amplify the comedic effect

7andkelly

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and I didn't actually call GB a bore, even if it is true, like you admitted...it's just that that mindless drivel ate up parts of two screens.

Let's follow the simple OJ rule: If it don't fit, you must omit!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 597
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Referring to someone's discourse as "mindless drivel" is a judgement call...I guess that speaks volumes to those who find others' detailed commentaries on politics and personal eastside histories interesting.

Let's concentrate on dialogue.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO all: any of us have EASTWOOD Insurance ????

ES61 Proudly, Supporting all Eastwood Humor.....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 598
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Does the insurance cover libel, injuries from whamo sling shots, sidewalks installed in the WPA era uprooted by elm trees? Does the coverage extend west of Hayes or is there a special "rider" on the policy? Most importantly, is there an AARP discount?

Goblue

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: You're absolutely correct...need that AARP discount...and...how extensive is this Eastwood insurance...would it also serve as a Medicare supplement?

There is no question that live TV altered the discourse of board meetings. That was especially true for those members who envisioned a higher political career in the future...the grandstanding became a royal pain in the ass. When board members start bringing prepared speeches to meetings you know it will be a long night.

7andkelly

Post Number: 850
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lighten up Kissinger!

Apparently, one man's endless, mindless, crappy, POS drivel is another man's discourse. Who knew?

Carry on! But please try to keep the sylabulls to a minimum.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Tell me more and maybe Board or Bored transcripts can be posted on this Eastwood Thread.... GB: At least you lost that Accent where Henry K is still doing that phony bit after living in America for what - 85 or 106 years. I think you lost your accent driving up and down Eastwood stalking the McKittrick Girls with your green plymouth with OD riding shotgun....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Are you sure you didn't mean syllables instead of syllabus? :-) I'll try to keep it simple. As far as GB's discourses, diatribes, and/or exposes.....Who knew?....Let's leave it as a rhetorical question.

ES: It's no wonder GB and OD cruised Eastwood stalking the Mckittrick girls...they owned Spyder model Corvairs...much to Ralph Nader's chagrin.

Goblue

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: After two tours of duty that totaled seven years in the "Heart of Dixie" I did acquire an accent but I never sounded like Henry K...but it was no more accent than I picked up during the time when my significant other in the early 80's was a transplanted Yooper...Had to learn to watch out fer dem deers in da road up der...ya know der, eh...amazing what pillow talk will do to ya, ya know?

KR: No such luck on the Spyder for me...though I wished...my first automotive venture was the '56 Sunliner...and I got that in '60...for $750.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 600
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: My first car to grace Eastwood Ave in 1971 was a 66 Corvair for $400. 20,000 miles....best car deal in my personal history...advertised in the Macomb daily. bought with Detroit News route money and HS grad gift... only downfall, had to use premium gas (which was not an issue back then)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You must have been one of the rich guys. $750! My first was a '50 Hudson for $50.

I'm considering coming out of retirement to put together the Eastwood insurance package. Probably have to take it to Lloyds since it seems to be pretty high risk. I still have my license and could use another bike.

No AARP discount though one must be over 50 to qualify. I'm trying to set the age low enough to draw in the youngsters around here

Goblue

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: Bought the Sunliner with my CCD caddy and Fox Portrait Studio savings plus summer of '60 earnings as a stockboy at Hudson's Eastland and shooting a few weddings...plus a loan from my parents that took me two years to pay back. Saw one listed for sale recently for $30K!

My grandfather had a '54 Hudson Jet that some asshole talked him out of for $100 in '74...it might have had 5,000 miles on it...was in mint condition.

Be cautious of the ones around here in their 50's...damn kids are nuthin' but trouble...no respect for their elders.

Sold my royal blue '96 Road King a couple of years ago after having to lay in down when an idiot pulled out of a sidestreet in front of me...saw it parked downtown the other day...almost broke into tears.

(Message edited by GoBlue on June 28, 2008)

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey jcole I lived at 15032 ...where'd you live?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 601
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: If you're ever in Wyandotte visit the GRIND..a biker coffee shop with an AARP clientel....Harleys, beamers, G wings...high end bikes...many custom... a real eclectic mix

Goblue

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: If yer ever in Prescott, AZ visit the Bird Cage Saloon...nuthin' but HOGs...no pink helmeted Japanese rust buckets allowed to even park on the Whiskey Row.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: If in the Palo Alto area I will take you to the Wendy's where the woman claims she found a thumb in her chili ....

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaja, I lived at 16061. Middle of the block between Redmond and Boulder

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 832
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Never owned a Corvair, but I wouldn't mind having one now.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 604
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: It was the right car for a kid...got into a few fender benders and some how that sucker survived. It's interesting how Corvair clubs popped up shortly after the model's demise. You would have thought the car was a Corvette or T-Bird. Nader sent that car into oblivion way before it's time was due....air cooled, rear engine, quick, maneuverable and IMHO, a slick looking compact design....Our little enclave on Eastwood had a few of them. Unfortunately, the old corvairs are fading fast unlike some of the other "classic" models. We just had a downriver cruise this weekend....no corvairs

HOWEVER all that pales to a 56 sunliner, If I recall correctly that model looked similar to the popular 56 Chevy at time but in a convertible model...no wonder all the young ladies were warned when GB went touring.

OD: What model car did you show off on Mapleridge?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 837
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I wasn't able to get my own car until after we moved to California. It was a 52 Ford Customline

While still in Detroit on Mapleridge I got to occasionally drive my mother's '52 Pontiac station wagon (aka tank). Later they traded it in on a '57 Rambler, and I got to drive it. My father had a '56 Pontiac wagon with a big V-8 and 4 barrel carb. That thing would really fly. I was hardly ever allowed to drive it.