Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through July 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 607
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

57 Rambler, Now you're talking classic. Our neighbor had one...unique style, nice compact design....George Romney did himself proud with that one... My first "new" car was a 78 Grand Prix. V8 with a 4 barrel carb...yea, those babies could fly. It's interesting to note the romance of yesteryear's cars for performance and style.... Will there be the same in the future...I can picture it now...."remember that hybrid in 09.. man was that baby quiet, with zero emissions and could get 45 miles to the gallon".

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems I've got a lot of places to consider when I hit the road again.

Was at the United Sidecar Assoc. rally in Duluth 2 weeks ago and the BMW Riders' Assoc. rally in Houghton last week with the Goldwing sidecar rig.

Sorry, GB. No Harley. The Goldwing, however is built in Ohio with 95% US content. HD runs about 65% US these days. Also have a BMW R1200RT for 2 wheeling & am having a dual sport sidecar built for a Suzuki VStrom 1000 for fire & logging roads. I ride with a lot of HD guys so I never say never. Maybe if the Eastwood insurance is a big seller.

My 1st new car was a '63 Monza. Cool car & the only one I've ever had that went from showroom to junkyard only owned by our family. My brother-in-law finished it off - just before the exhaust fumes from a cracked heater heat exchanger finished him off. Had to drive with the windows open in the winter to survive the trip.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 839
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: The '57 Rambler had some unique styling for sure, and it was actually a pretty good car. When I finally got to the point that I could afford my first BRAND NEW (not used) car, I remembered the Rambler's reliability and bought a '64 Rambler American 440 convertable. I was married by then, but my wife didn't mind (unlike GB whose wife made him buy a Valiant). I was working for Fisher Body at the time so I took a lot of ribbing about it though. But I still think that my Rambler American was a better car than any of the Big 3's competing models.

Mine looked like this, but black...

Kellyroad

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: A long time east side friend of mine still rides his 78 Gold Wing to work on occasion (downtown D from the burbs). He's had a Harley, a Norton 950 commando, and various other Japanese bikes before but it's the Gold Wing he's kept purring for many years....It's a rock.

Please clarify the story about the exhaust fumes from a cracked hater heat exchanger finishing off your bro-in-law..?? I hope I was reading it wrong.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Yeah, the GW is a good bike...my wife kept bugging me to get rid of the HOG and get a GW because her friends all told her about the smooth ride...instead I bought a t-shirt that read on the back..."If you can read this she fell off"...it wasn't long after that that I sold the HOG...in the interest of marital harmony...plus I was tired of sleeping in the barn.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 842
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: And GB wasn't exactly Tango's first choice for a stall mate.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 609
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: sweet! simple elegance, clean lines

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 843
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Yeh, and it kills GB that I was cruising around in a convertable (even if it was with wife attached) while he was trying to be cool in an ugly Valiant.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 610
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Hey, those Valiants along with Dodge Darts had a utilitarian appeal in a nice compact size and it kept Detroit humming as the motor capital of the world in spite of Nader's meddling....Besides GB had his day in the sun with the sunliner (and of course his HOG)

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Auto Row: In 58 I was able to have access to my mothers 54 Ford Customline - Father had a 57 Fairlane with some big ass v-8 engine but it was off limits - sounds like OD's dad and my father were from the same school. Drove that beautiful OIL guzzling '54 vehicle until it died on I-75 in 1964 - Bought my first new car in 66 while making all that money for DPS - a 66 Pontiac Convert....dark gray and black top sold it two years later for a 65 350/327 vette coupe .... talk about a car that one should had held on to.....Oh well.... right now I'm booking around in an 07 Pontiac Solstice ...Turbo and amazingly quick!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I know this is the serious thread so I won't say anything like ..... When GB talks about his HOG it's hard to tell if he means his bike or SE59. Granted a Valiant or Dart was OK for Mr. Average Guy, but it sure ended GB's days as Mr. Cool. But it didn't seem to hurt his relationship with his HW students. They would wait for him at the teachers parking lot every day, and always started laughing and pointing when he arrived. That's how happy they were to see him..... But if this was one of the other threads I probably would have said something like that.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 611
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Since this thread is about Eastwood and the surrounding area's recent history and of our frequent contributors' personal stories in relationship to that history, it is without question that an analysis of GB's transportation is not only serious but necessary. If one were to examine the data of one driving a sunliner then later a valiant, the question might arise as to what circumstances caused this transistion.....Did a set of circumstances cause a change in personality or did a change in personality cause a change of circumstances? i.e. Could the purchase of a valiant alter the persona of Mr. Cool so much that perhaps a different career path in education was a self fulfilled prophecy? One must also examine the anomaly of driving a HOG after a valiant.

(Message edited by kellyroad on June 29, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 854
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Without a doubt the circumstance which caused the change to the Valiant was code named SE59. As to what caused the change to the HOG, I can only speculate that it was rebellion against the SE59 circumstance. But ES could probably explain it better, being a professional circumstance explainer.

Eastburn

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Sorry should have added "almost" before "finished him off" Bro in law is alive & kicking (& still playing hockey, GB,) at 60.

GB, bet the shirt had a word other than "she".

Eastside61

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: NO true Easstsider with any class would be seen in a Valiant or even think about purchasing a Valiant .... No one with any class would even drive one if it were given to them ... Right GB! You are putting us on about this Valiant Only that clown Jjaba would drive a Valiant and not even Jjaba would even consider it....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Thanks for your professional insight. I had forgotten all about GB's loss of his class. After the class finished laughing at him in the parking lot, they refused to be seen in his classroom and demanded a different teacher. Since none of the students would have have anything to do with him the HW school board had no choice but to promote him to principal.

Goblue

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: I'm just gonna ignore the blatherings of ES and OD...turn 'em upside down and they look alike anyway...both of 'em will work as the south end of a horse costume.

I'm impressed that your bro-in-law is still playing at 60...the last team I played on had a guy that was 60...at the time I didn't realize how tough that was to do.

Yeah...you're right about the t-shirt...I was being polite for the readership...though for the life of me...given the level of class (other than you)...I have no idea why. If it weren't for low class ES & OD would have no class!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Once again he is hiding behind the valiant ... I think that is where the terms "Valiant Effort" came from .... Remember the GB was the first TAR ever to do a complete makeover in 59 just before the prom when he broke up with HT and actually took SJ - She has been in rehab ever since... poor thing .....

I cannot ever remember when GB was polite ... and remember we needed to help him even get his Tee Shirts on because he used to wear them inside out....

Eastburn

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Yea, bro in law has to be tough. He's a DPS teacher.

He enrolled in a power skating class a few years ago. Found it was all young kids. Took the class anyway. They all called him "Old Rick".

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 869
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Be on your guard. When GB is nice to someone there usually is an ulterior motive. He may be trying to recruit allies for an attack against ES and myself. You don’t want to get drawn into this. It could set back all the work we’ve done trying to civilize him by years.

ES: I later learned the reason GB wore his shirts inside out was so he wouldn’t have to wash them as often.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, OD's right about GB. Don't trussed him.

Eastburn

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I'm just joining KR as an ambassador of good will.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: "Good Will" - is that an Eastside concept? I thought that was the place GB worked so he could keep his Valiant running ... Or was it GB was thinking of buying s used Ambassador????

ES61 Proudly, Supporting the TRUE History of GB

7andkelly

Post Number: 876
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR / Z, I've got doubles of Boog Powell and Brooks Robinson. I'll trade either of you those two players, and any one of my non-Tiger rookie stars, for an Al Kaline and a Mickey Lolich.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: How bout a 68 Dennis Ribant card for both Kaline and Lolich....a true east sider would jump at that trade. Dennis Ribant lived on Lansdowne.

My topps Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax cards (purchased with gum at george's party store on Moross) BTW are not in mint condition...they were attached to a bike fender via a clothes pin so as to make a motor sound up and down Eastwood Avenue....same thing with all the Post cereal cut out cards (kicking myself)

Z and All: Watch your back when dealling cards with 7K....If my guess of his identity is correct he was known as the card shark or should I say snark.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 864
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7- Deal except my corners are all bent up from flipping them against the steps. They probably don't grade a vg.

7andkelly

Post Number: 878
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, aren't you a '67 or '68 grad? I'm sure you're getting me confused with someone else...perhaps 7&kk with the fancy bikes. In one afternoon, I traded all my remaining non-Tiger '68s for Tigers and I think some extra green army men. So I'm not exactly Ken Holland.

I'm taking Z's deal. Since I never plan to sell them, I don't care if they're not perfect. Besides, Tiger cards are worth more.

7andkelly

Post Number: 881
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a picture perfect day here on Eastwood. Sun peaking through the trees. Not too hot. Great day to hop on the old bike, and ride over to Mrs. Carter's house to mow her perfect lawn with her electric mower. She didn't even get mad at me when I ran over the cord last month.

Too bad Mr. Carter died. I still had some questions to ask him about my Olsen's walkie talkie:-(

It's surely the easiest $5 a kid ever made. That, and the conversation, and the Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry Koolaid she always kept on hand, just for me!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z:KR:7&K: I have a Jim Delsing and a Jackie Moore card and a box of cards I found one afternoon in an alley between Fordham /Eastwood almost to Celestine.

Goblue

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: I applaud your efforts along with KR's as an ambassador of good will...howsomever...with ES and OD you're dealing with a pair of real hard cores...ES has done time...and OD should have but got out of town on a sailing ship. 7andK was admitted to U-M...as a custodian...but never could master the tricky art of mopping the locker rooms.