Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll just be the oldest one.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But will you be the most sacred?

Eastburn

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course. Fr. EB, remember?

Jcole

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesn't always equate to sanctity, as we all know.
I just wondered if you had a few spare St. Jude bones or Blessed Mother's milk vials laying around.

Eastburn

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may have. I'll be spending the winter sorting through everything. The thought of the milk vials strikes me as kinda creepy for some reason.

Jcole

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always did me, too, but that was one of the relics (so-called) at Walsingham in England. Always creeped me out to think of it, and made me wonder how in the hell they got it. I really doubt she was nursing the Lord when he was 33

Eastburn

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are truly a font of esoteric information.

Jcole

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, the problem is that the esoterica has chased out a lot of the relevant information.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 881
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy 4th of July fellow SJS friends (and foes).

Some remembrances: Waiting for it to get dark so we could light the sparklers. If you were lucky dad would find some color ones too (a real treat). Maybe letting you let off a lady finger or 2, but nothing more dangerous than that.

You always had a friend or 2 who had the good stuff, bottle rockets, cherry bombs, M80's. The trick was trying to find a place to blow that stuff off and not get caught. usually you had to roam around lighting that stuff off so as not to get caught.

Since no one had air conditioning you had to sleep with the windows open and fireworks would be lit off till all hours of the morning and you wish you were with whoever was having that fun.

The next day you'd ride around the neighborhood and could see all of the scar marks on the ground from the previous nights activities.

Jcole

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The color sparklers never lasted as long as the gold or silver ones.
I remember some kind of black thing that you put on the sidewalk and lit and it would then turn into a snake-like thingy. Probably called a Snake.
Remember taking a roll of pop gun ammo and hitting it with a hammer to make it pop?
Fireworks at Parcell's Elementary on 8 and Mack with my sister in law, Judy.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 908
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, happy 4th to one and, must I say, all!

"you had to roam around lighting that stuff off so as not to get caught". - Yeah, that never gets old...except, too bad I can't run as fast at my age.

And it's not the same when you get that woman out in her slippers complaining about the racket, and you tell her, "Shut up you old bag!", when she's 30 or you're pushing 50.

7andkelly

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...hypothetically speaking.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

happy 4th to all of you. put my flag outside and is only 1 of 2 i can see - is this a sign of the times. anyway talking about sparklers and snakes, the best spot for me to buy that back then was at ross drugs on morang and whitehill. could buy a whole bag for pennies.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Still got to go back to the 1/4 grain M-80 story on the St. Jude black top. After 40 years that blast still resonates as the loudest and got the best neighborhood reaction.

ALL: Go Jets and Have a great 4th.

Zitro

Post Number: 882
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Yes if you could find a great echo chamber to blow those off it was even better. As I've mentioned before, dropping them down the sewers it made a great muffled sound, water splashing up and the grate even raising a little. Powerful little suckers.

Zitro

Post Number: 883
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catching some the Red Wings parade replay on FSN.

7andkelly

Post Number: 910
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468, we've got two flags out this year, and I'm dedicating them to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. May God bless them all with good health and continued success in their missions, and protect them from all harm.

Zitro

Post Number: 884
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great finish in the National Hot Dog eating contest. It even went to a dog off. What drama

Jcole

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A dog off?? At least it wasn't a cat off

Zitro

Post Number: 885
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it was quite intriguing

Jcole

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can only imagine. Was it the little Japanese guy who won again?

Zitro

Post Number: 886
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Joey Chestnut beat Kobayashi for the 2nd year in a row. Nothing more appetizing then guys slamming down buns soaked in water. I thought Chestnut was going to bust blood vessels in his forehead.

Jcole

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't stand looking at wet bread. It's a real quirk of mine, which is probably why I don't watch the challange.
Go USA, USA

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy 4th everyone! We're praying for our troops and thankful that because of their sacrifice, we can enjoy peace - and the "rockets red glare" of our neighborhood celebrations. Wish we had some of those colorful sparklers here! I forgot about those!

Zitro

Post Number: 889
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did everyone die?

The Tigs are coming on. Wake up!!

Jcole

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No deaths, at least not to my knowledge, just a lazy Saturday on a holiday weekend.
If anyone DID die, my sincerest apologies for speaking in your stead

Eastburn

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still alive & kicking.

So, how did everyone spend the holiday?

Zitro

Post Number: 890
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoying some beautiful DRY weather for sure.

Zitro

Post Number: 891
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been some nice riding weather. Took about a 30 mile jaunt today.

Zitro

Post Number: 892
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone just catch the Marshalltown Iowa reference on Jeff Clement?