Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through July 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: Hey What about my employment opportunities and the letters of recommendations ... What You mean I have to write a few sentences or maybe one sentence and then print your names at the bottom of each letter?... Remember I am a non - catholic and left handed this is going to be hard and I want to add to the first chapter and I don't know what to do .... I'm getting anxious --- NO Depressed .... and I am taping mirrors to my shoes .... HELP I think I have the EASTWOOD syndrome again...

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 629
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL: Thanks for the edit. great points.
HAPPY 4th. Hope all's going well

JC: Like the title

OD: Technically you're right....baby boomer from 1946..consider it deleted

ES: You're a psychologist!...Use you're inner strength to turn the EASTWOOD syndrome into a creative force,. BTW Does the DSM-V address (ES)..the Eastwood Syndrome?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Awriiight, all right...here's your letter: I am proud to recommend Dr. ES61 as a psychologist in your school district. He is a great psychologist who hasn't fooled around with a 15 year old in a long time.

Will that work?

I vote with Jc and KR on her idea for a title.

Let's get to work.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 912
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great day. It's the fourth of July. The beer store is closed so I'll just grab a fudgesicle from the freezer, and some matches for later.

Then I'll hop on my old bike with the cool new banana seat with chrome in back and ride over to the blacktop.

Someone's always there with the Ohio fireworks, good stuff, like bottle rockets and M80's. There's always that one with the short fuse the bigger kids are always too scared to light.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I am not applying for the superintendency
To all Authors: We will also need a CD /DVD as part of the book deal....

I hung the Stars and Stripes after mowing the lawn ( Craftsman 1200 17.5 HP 42" blades) weather in the low 70's - NO humidity and NO insects here on the coast.... BBQ at a neighbors... life is good!
ES 61 Proudly, Converting 7&K to join us in the 'hood' ....

Goblue

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A strong wind took our flagpole down a few weeks ago...have to order a stronger one...so no flag this year...but "Stars and Stripes Forever" by Andre Kostelanetz on full blast on the stereo...next CD is "America: Tribute to Heroes" Bruce S and the E Street Band leading off. No lawn to mow...no humidity...no mosquitos...temp in low 80's...actually had a rain shower blow through an hour ago...friends coming in for BBQ on our patio...we'll watch the fireworks show put on by two towns...both about 6-7 miles away...from the patio...we're on the highest homesite around. Four generations from Appalachian coal miner...to world class educated molecular biologist professor...only in America (with Eastside values)...life is good...America is beautiful...God, I love this country.

GB: Proud to be an American working for change.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 923
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You recommend Dr. ES61 as a psychologist? What little respect I had left for you just disappeared.

Nothing special this 4th. We had hoped to maybe get out today. but DR had an asthma attack. So she loaded up on Benadryl and went to bed, and I worked around the house.

7andkelly

Post Number: 915
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We sure had fun last night. What a blast!

Time to grab the old push broom and sweep up the mess. I'll just shovel it all into the garbage can. Ooh, that reminds me, I need to empty out the incinerator drawer down in the basement later.

And now the fun part, spraying the ash marks off the street with the hose. It doesn't quite reach, so I'll just attach the one from the back yard. Can life get much better for a kid than to be standing out in the street in front of his house rinsing off the cement, and having a legitimate purpose?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsiders: NO fireworks in this area. Living in the hills during this time of the year is an uneasy time ... It will not rain in this area until maybe mid to late October ...

Goblue

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hosing the cement? Now there's a wise use of water! Duh!

ES: Hope you're not too close to those fires. One is burning here but its 30 miles away on a straight line...set by an idiot who was out hiking in a remote part of the wilderness and got lost...decided he'd set a "signal fire"...it's burned four homes and I think is somewhere around 6,000-8,000 acres at this point...no containment yet. They released his name...the posse carrying the rope has him on the run as we speak. July and January are our rain months...we got about a third of an inch yesterday...hoping for more as I write.

(Message edited by GoBlue on July 05, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 918
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Building houses in the middle of forests where it only rains in July and January...yeah that was brilliant.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on July 05, 2008)

Goblue

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Middle of the forest? I don't think you've ever been to the desert...nothing here over 8-10 ft. tall...scrub oak...30-50 ft. of cleared defensible space completely around the buildings...concrete tile roof on stucco house...metal roof on barn...Ponderosa Pine forests grow above 5,500 ft. elevation which is where the danger zone is. You shoulda stayed awake during GED geography...or read something besides comic books.

(Message edited by GoBlue on July 05, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: I thought you liked us ... wow! Have you ever been to the SF bay area ???? I would have to say you should at least get on google earth. Coastal Mt range from Sf to San Jose on what is generally known as the peninsula is forest covered and they reach a height of about 1500 ft ..... to 2000. Actually spectacular! and a ideal place to live ... I am in the hills back of Palo Alto sitting on 2 acres in a home we build 28 years ago (French Country style - 2 story and a little over 4500 sq ft) I have a great barn and find it ideal .... We are still friends even though you find it necessary to whack away at the older group at times... No need to get into the psych hypotheses .... Have a nice night ...Oh 7 the Town of Los Altos Hills has a one acre minimum.... no street lights - underground utilities and about 15 miles interconnected trails and pathways across the town .... and not one commercial business within the town limits .... We still like you let me know how you are doing ....

ES 61 proudly, extending myself to my 7&k brother

(Message edited by Eastside61 on July 05, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 919
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, You said up to 8000 acres including 24 homes burned so far. I didn't say you were dumb for building your house in the middle of the forest, just that it's a bad idea for someone to do so in an area that prone to be a tinder box (lots of single syllable words there).

You're not so quick to see I'm writing content as if I'm actually back in the 60's...back on Eastwood...experiencing life as it was.

But I didn't even call you dumb for not recognizing that. If you don't respect what I'm doing, and it appears you don't, that doesn't even mean you're dumb...a bit of a pr!@k maybe.

7andkelly

Post Number: 920
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, I have not yet been to California, but I have no doubt I would find your area to be just as pristine and majestic as you paint it to be! Some day.

But if I move there next year, and stay for my remaining years, I will never, ever, ever, become a Shark fan.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 634
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: It's been 4 yrs since Cal (Ralph Nader). Your area of Los Altos, Palo Alto (I'll throw in Los Gatos) are always a must stop every visit out there. The residential architecture and surrounding landscape along with the climate are never tiring. This Eastwood lad hopes to get back soon. What's the latest with Napa Valley?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: How sad for you! Wingnuts have found out that the TANK is about six time louder that the OLD JOE... and you still play in the weakest division in the W. Conf.....I wish that the Fins could play Columbus, SLouis and the hawks 8 times each...what a gift and you know it! Your ticket are at will call when ever you want! What will you do all winter then.... go on DYes every night when the Sharks are at home or on TV?????

KR: Thanks and I hope you get back soon!
7: GB is a prick???? sorry ... a bit of a prick! NO - Just a seasoned Eastsider!

7andkelly

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Central Division is strong...a least against us. It's the rest of the league we were dominant against last year.

I see they shipped Ron Wilson back to Canadada. That should help your team get back in the playoffs again. Next to Crawford, he's my least favorite coach in the NHL.

Goblue

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: After a 40 career on the public front lines of advocating for kids I have been been called a helluva lot worse.......by a helluva lot better!

If ya can't take an elbow in the corners ya shouldn't be on the ice.

Four homes have burned...although except for the tremendous work of several hundred Hotshots with boots on the ground and some great helicopter and tanker pilots it could have been 24...personally, I wouldn't live in the high forest...but, I have good friends who do and love it...they accept the risk. We'll take a couple of the horses and the large horse trailer with an LQ up into the forest for several days in a week or two...there are rigid fire restrictions on right now...but there is always an idiot with a match or a cigarette somewhere around, or even a horseshoe throwing a spark, so you always have to be ready to get the hell out of there. We keep our home and barn open to anyone who might have to evacuate with animals...we could easily take a half dozen horses on the property and the large backyard is fenced for dogs.

ES: I keep dreamin' about a Sharks vs Wings Cup next year....damn, that would be fun! For myself...I could respond warmly to the Sharks...until the Wings came to town. It would sorta be like pulling for MSU when they play Ohio State...or pretty much any other Big Ten team...and for damn sure when they play ("play for tie") Notre Dame.

Sounds like a nice home...plenty of bedrooms for those times that you piss ME off enough to get your butt tossed.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb: Yes - Sleeping down stairs this 4th...... It was tight when the girls were home .... but thank god we build the barn in 92.....
and 7&K doesn't get it yet... but remember he is younger and went to parochial schools ... but he is trying to get along with the older guys..... We love you 7.... just make sure that you vote the full DNC ticket in the fall.... Other than that 7 "Yu da best"....

Goblue

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You know...I think yer right...it was the parochial school experience that left so many vacant places in the educations of so many of our collegues...half of what we know we learned in kindergarten at Columbus...the other half in the hallways between classes at Denby.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Shall we compare college admissions of Denby vs. Notre Dame 1958 - 1962 just for fun?

Eastburn - proudly defending parochial education.

Goblue

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Public schools take everyone...by law...parochial schools are allowed to be, and are, discriminatory...the comparison is apples and oranges. To make the research valid it would be necessary to control for family income, parent's education levels, family structure, parental attitudes, etc. through research design and statistical analysis.

Other factors are critical...just for one example, parochial schools do not need to budget for special education costs...such as speech therapy...the public schools are required, by law, to provide these services to parochial schools...the list goes on and on.

You really don't want to go down this road...you're talking about playing on the turf on which I spent 40 years.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just defending against the slam on Catholic schools.

I realize this is your field, not mine. However, I think you'd have to agree that during the time period specified, the demographics of the 2 schools' enrollment would not be much different.

Certainly a fair comparison between public & Catholic schools in Detroit today would be nigh onto impossible. Maybe not so in the 50's & 60's.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Hang on... the outreach was to our younger brother 7 who once in a while needs some advice from the older guys ... One of the best teachers at Southeastern in the 60's and 70's was a 59 grad of NDHS... and I had the pleasure to not only work with him but to remain friends to this day ... He lives on Outer Drive about 5 houses up from Mack .... so he also is a true EASTSIDER ... EB maybe you can reach out to 7 in ways that us Public boys cannot seem to be able to do ... but 7 remains a brother

Kellyroad

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You're right...it is comparing apples and oranges...also add that many of the parochial high schools had selective enrollment via grade point requirements and entrance exams....another consideration in research design and statistical analysis. I guess I'll support EB at this point: Parochial schools provided a damn good education for many working/middle non-elitist (remember affordable tuition to the masses was prevalent during the 50-60s) folk on the east side for many years. The comparative variables of family income, parent's education level, family structure at that time and place were a moot point. IF one were to look at just the college prep curriculum at Denby and the select DPS schools such as Cass Tech the parochial school system would still shine regarding college admissions especially to selective universities. ....much of it due to the dedicated effort of priests, brothers and nuns and the effort they demanded of their students AND yes, parental attitude. THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT WAS. Now, your aforementioned demographic differences come much more into play than in the 50s/60s BTW, please don't take this as a snobbish snarky reply regarding public vs parochial schools (That argument has been going on ad nauseum for generations; and as we have discussed previously could be the basis for a several page chapter in the eastside book). Your years as an educator, researcher, and superintendent are truly commendable and warrant noteworthy respect. That being said.. HOWEVER, I do stand in solidarity with my parochial school sisters and brothers in defending and promoting excellent education.

ES: Your soothing style of understanding and reflective communication with the ability to bridge the east side generation gap and their differing deep-seated opinions is quite noticeable....a credit to your many years as an excellent psychologist and an advance copy of the DSM-V. Let those Eastwood values keep on shining through.

(Message edited by kellyroad on July 07, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 928
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes EB, you don't want to go down that road with GB. He spent for 40 years, but he has nothing to show for it. His anti-Catholic bigotry and general disdain for religion are so painfully evident. All he seems to have left to share is his bitterness, snobbery and vitriol.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 894
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, now 7, you'd be bitter too if you had to get up at 4:00am and walk to school 10 miles uphill both ways barefoot and had to stoke the fire in the furnace each morning just so you could get a decent education. Just look at the better life you were afforded for others sacrifices.

Zitro

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought I would put down the poisoned quill for just a moment (only a moment though!)and get back to this bartering we discussed earlier. For starters what do I get for this beautiful 1956 Topps Al Kaline 2nd year card? It has never seen the spokes of a bike nor hit a step in it's existence?

AK

Zitro

Post Number: 896
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a 1959 Topps Norm Cash Rookie Card.

NC