Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're an "East" Eastwoodian, then you're still one of the good guys.....geez, is it late in the day or what? Eastwoodian???/time to go home! Of course, the sky is dark, it's ready to rain, now's a fine time to go outside! :-)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, Eastwoodian I can live with , but East Eastwoodian is a stretch

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - What shall we call those of us north of 7 Mile? How about "the upper class"? (North, of course, being "higher" than south.) But then, we were the ones in the asbestos-sided bungalows as opposed to those fine brick homes on the south side.

Jcole

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about 'North St. Judians'

Eastburn

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can live with that. I was just hoping for a chance to be upper class for once in my life.

Jcole

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Upper ST. Judians

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess East Eastwoodians is a stretch..maybe to define east of Hayes location...but wait, didn't the Green, Cherry, and Blue sections already describe the local.. Cherry Eastwoodian??

EB: You were almost into St. Veronica territory.. you were truly a Cherry section NORTH St. Judian.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone out there. for those of us who lived in the city limits which was all of us, don't you hate hearing people now say they were from detroit, but lived in farmington hills (of all places), livonia, etc.? there always seemed to be a dividing line being moross from the two streets which were detroit vs. harper woods (for those of us living east of kelly.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468: Or conversely there are those who now live in suburbia Detroit and make it known that they live (insert subrub name here) "which is so many miles from Detroit". Interestingly, since everyone is on the subject of division of territories, do you recall that Kingsville st. was actually partially in Harperwoods and part in Detroit. Many residents had a portion of their properties in both cities.

Do you recall that Laing was in the Blue section of the parish? I'm not sure if the division of the parish was as relevant in the early 70s as it was in the 50s and early 60s.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 935
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468, when the Wings, Pistons or Tigers win championships, suddenly they're all from Detroit. Someone gets mugged at Hart Plaza, and they're back to being from Livonia or Rochester.

Jcole

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember people who live on Kingsville, but I thought they were all Harper Woods. The Carrier family (Marianne, Donny and Carol), the Burns family (Maureen and Laura) and some others. Where was the dividing line from Detroit?

12468_laing

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, laing was in the blue section. our church down here in Old Hickory - a suburb of Nashville was organizing its area and I tried to institute the same make-up. sports is the peace maker - everyone in the particular area is from there - guess that is why when the Oilers moved to nashville, they became the tennessee titans.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 643
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I thought Kingsville. What side of Kingsville were the families from?

Jcole

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Carriers were on the north and the Burns on the south. I think Hasten's lived on the south side also. I guess I just always thought that Moross was the dividing line.But now that I think of it, the cross street by the Tastee Freez had a Detroit street sign. I think that was McCormick

12468_laing

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep kingsville was the dividing line between the city limits and harper woods

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey J - how's Ruth? I e-mailed Fr. Robert and he's also adding his prayers for her.
On the "I'm from Detroit" string - it always used to frost me when someone would say they were from Detroit - while I still lived there - because it sounded "cool" to be from the 313 - okay it was another time....and they lived in suburbia. Now I do the "Warren" about 5 miles OUTSIDE of Detroit".... when I'm out of town for work and describe where I live. (Otherwise, I just use the hand - point option)

Jcole

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She did have a small stroke, deep in the brain. She's on medication and a monitor, and they're letting her go home tomorrow. They will monitor her from the Dr. office. She still sounds a little slurred but she's making sense, so that's a plus. No paralysis that I know of.
I told her that the whole crew is praying for her, and that CFG emailed Fr. Robert, and she says thank you and that the prayers will be better than any medication they can give her.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful news! Yes, Prayers are always the best medicine and you can count on the Padre to keep Ruth in his prayers.

Jcole

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just talked to my other sister, Fran, and she got more info from my neice Anne. Apparently, it was a true stroke, but because it was deep in the frontal lobe, the damage was less. It could take up to a year for her speech to return to normal and the droop of her mouth to be repaired, if ever. She's forgetful today, but the Dr. isn't concerned about that. He wants her on a healthier diet and more exercise when she's able.
Again, I really appreciate the prayers, and so does Ruth.

Eastburn

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Ours was the northernmost street in the parish. Your knowledge of parish history continues to impress me.

Jcole

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have thought that was St. Peter's Parish. Or did St. Pete come in later?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Let Ruth know she WILL return to normal. The power of prayer is essential and compliance of medication is also key..especially preventing thrombi and controlling blood pressure.

12468: How are you involved in your parish down in Tenn? sounds interesting.

EB: For some crazy reason I knew the then northern boundary of St Jude Parish. Still not sure what the east boundary was...Was it Lansdowne, Wayburn, or Roositer?....Perhaps 12468 can give some insight!

Jcole

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, KR, I'll tell her. We're all still pretty shook, but we believe she's going to pull through fine.
I'm glad I took the time to go to her anniversary party last weekend.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole..........prayers here too...........I may have had the same thing....I don't know.........I'm glad we stick together...

Eastburn

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Pete's was a newer parish. If we'd lived on Bringard (next block north) I'd have been in St. Veronica's & would never have met you beautiful folks.
Ruth is on my prayer list, for sure.

Jcole

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all so much.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you bet........................... ..

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad we're sticking together too!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, My spiritual bouquet (no jokes from the gallery please) for Ruth will include prayers, a five day votive candle, and an act of kindness.

12468_laing

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eastern boundry of st jude territory had to be landsdowne as i rememeber friends living there and going to st jude. from there on, it was st. brendan's area. have been pretty involved with our parish here. was on the parish council and have been active with the knights for 15 years.
Jcole, prayers are coming from tn as well.