Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through July 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1967 Bengal Belters

bb

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured my more erudite colleagues would jump in here & help me out.

ES, you might be taking my place in sharing the Nobel Peace Prize with KR.

Zitro

Post Number: 898
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course you can't have a 60's Tigers team without the Rock.

Rock

Zitro

Post Number: 899
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something maybe more from around GB's era. 1935 Scorecard

(Message edited by zitro on July 07, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 900
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or ES & OD (Sorry guys, sometimes I can't help myself)

Zitro

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Tiger Stadium finally going down, I dug this out.

FP

Zitro

Post Number: 902
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More TS memories.

Zitro

Post Number: 903
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

67 YB

Zitro

Post Number: 905
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

69 YB

Zitro

Post Number: 906
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you ever meet Willie he's a great guy.

Zitro

Post Number: 907
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This 1914 Tiger might even pre-date some of you.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Great stuff .... Thanks

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 930
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, thanks for sharing these treasures!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVED Rocky Colavito, but then so did every teenage girl in that time period in Detroit.

7andkelly

Post Number: 931
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ES, sorry to question EB's view of you as a peacemaker, but I don't know how this flies when some of your writings show a complete lack of respect for women, not to mention Jews and Catholics. Are you an anti-Catholic, anti-semitic male chauvinist pig, or am I just misinterpreting your ramblings?

Zitro

Post Number: 910
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Don't beat around the bush. ES is a big man you can ask him straight up what your thinking.

Zitro

Post Number: 912
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In those immortal words of Arnold Jackson:

WASP you talkin' bout Willis?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Get a grip.... you have no clue as to my upbringing and life experiences except that I grew up on the EASTSIDE...... some day over a beer we can talk and I am sure you will think back about your narrow minded comments - but I will still reach out to you brother of the EASTSIDE .... Maybe I will even tell you where to find the blueberries along the Au Sable.... In some ways I do feel sorry for your narrowness but I have met and worked with a lot of individuals - with different attitudes and outlooks... Remember you are the one that will not discuss your resume since the Eastwood days.... It makes one wonder ????

7andkelly

Post Number: 932
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, I'm not questioning your upbringing, and right now I couldn't care less about your life experiences. Like I said, IMO, many of your postings here on DY clearly indicate a bigotry toward Catholics and Jews, and a total lack of respect for women, especially those outside your little circle. Go back and read your own words.

If you chose not to refute all of this, that's your prerogative.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: regarding bartering: just remember you crossed 7 Mile into Eastwood territory where card sharks are ready to feast. I'm only looking out for your best interest. Let's see, a 2nd year Kaline card, the year after he won the American League batting title...I'm sure you'd like a 68 Dennis Ribant http://www.baseball-reference. com/bullpen/Dennis_Ribant card straight up for a 56 Kaline, no wait...I'll get back with you on that, let me think about it, you know he lived on Lansdowne, naw, ok throw in the Colavito card and we'll make it a deal, no wait, I better check with my brother first.

BTW, Thanks for posting the Colavito card. That was my very 1st memory of Tiger Stadium...sitting out in left field with my dad..Colavito was right there (He was just traded to Detroit from Clevland)....sadly, as we communicate, the grand old lady is being slowly demolished.

Zitro

Post Number: 915
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I just checked my birth cert and verified it, I was born at 1:31 in the am. But unfortunately it wasn't last night in the am. But thanks for that generous offer.

My favorite Colavito memory was when I went to a game as a honorary member of the bat boy club through Hudson's remember that? There was like this one in a million chance to be a bat boy for day if selected. Anyway they gave you a ticket for one free game to go to. A couple buddies and I took a bus to TS and we were all jammed in left center field. Colavito hits a Grand Salami a few rows in front of me.

Needless to say there's just a mass of humanity trying to get at this ball. I remember the usher just peeling kids off this pile like layering an onion. He finally gets down to the kid who has the ball and takes it away from. There never seemed to be any justice as a kid I swear.

It's soooo sad to see her go, but I look at it this way, if Yankee fans can live with old Yankee Stadium getting torn down then we can live with this too. I consider myself fortunate to have the lifetime of experiences she brought into my life as well as knowing the healing she and the Tigers were able to bring to a city in turmoil at the poignant times she did.

Even KK and his crime ridden cronies can't take that away from us.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: You seem very rigid.... am I right? You better reread your threads ... or are you just playing like the older boys ???

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Methinks that 7K is reading with his own extremely narrow glasses...he completely fails to comprehend the meanings of either of our writings...but then, how much more could be expected of one with such a limited life background. Now he wants to be politically correct with accusations of anti-semitism, sexism, bigotry, etc. You and I have both put it on the line in our careers...talk is cheap...real cheap...you and I were there when it counted...you at Southeastern in the late 60's...me in Birmingham, AL in the early 70's.

7K: if you have anything in your background that would compare to teaching biology to Black kids with little or no hope at Southeastern High School 1965-70 or of working with Black teachers and administrators in the schools of B'ham right after the time of the church bombing...we'd love to hear about it...speak up boy!

Z: Had to laugh....no, Navin Field was before my time...it was always Briggs Stadium to the Fordham crowd...but, my dad was a rookie cop assigned there in the late 20's...that was the source of my Babe Ruth autographed ball...which is the centerpiece of my collection of 120 or so HOF single signature balls...plus another 30 Tiger Team balls including all of the WS teams...just picked up a nice 1938 ball a couple of days ago.

EB: Sorry, didn't mean to offend...but, you simply cannot compare apples and oranges and draw any kind of valid conclusions. I think some parochial schools did/do a really fine job. All ES and I were saying...or simply joking about...was the education that took place in the hallways of Denby when they were crowded during the time between classes. Ya gotta admit...in a gender specific school those kinds of learnings don't happen...I don't think. To tell the truth, I have always admired the Jesuits for their educational programs...I think I'd have received a better undergraduate education, for example, if I'd attended Boston College...just as one example. As a U-M I just can't say the same about ND...it just goes too hard against all emotions...although one of my best friends and fellow state board member is an ND guy...we have fun teasing at meetings.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jesuits also run U of D High School and U of D Mercy where my daughter graduated. You don't need to go to Boston for a fine education.
As for High School hallway education, you can't beat an all girls school for down to earth dirty talk and sex ed. I'm sure it was the same at the boy's schools. You don't have to have a physical demonstration if you have the mental capacity to imagine. Maybe that's the problem with public schools

Kellyroad

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: There just ain't no justice for kids...that usher should have been booed out of the stadium. You actually took a bus to TS when you were a kid? I'm surprised you didn't ride your bike.

Have to agree regarding the sentiments of TS..sad to see her go and THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

Zitro

Post Number: 916
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother never drove and she would take us all over the city by bus, so I got pretty familiar with the routes and such at a fairly young age.

7andkelly

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now we can read about all GB's sacrifices for the black community. IMO, his reference to "black kids with little or no hope", and his insinuation none of them could learn biology make him sound just so pompous, dismissive and borderline racist. Just who isn't GB superior to?

It's too bad those SWHS kids had him for a teacher.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: I believe it's ES that taught at SouthEastern not GB. I may be losing the time line here but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ES: One of my most memorable summers was working as a life guard at Gallagher pool for the Detroit Parks and Rec in the summer of 72. The recreation center was located on St. Jean and Kercheval (a block from the 5th precinct station), I believe not to far from Southeatern HS. It was a personal lesson on what urban life was like besides my little enclave in the far east side corner of Detroit. The wasting of government cheese was a big issue that summer...
The summer staff were from all over the east side and were great to work with...Man I got to know the east side that summer AND discover what urban decay and in many cases hopelessness was about. BTW, that recreation center has been long gone.

(Message edited by kellyroad on July 07, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 936
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news Z. I know for a fact rules put in place just this year say ushers at Comerica Park aren't allowed to even touch any balls hit out into the stands.