Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - I'll be dropping off some groceries to the St. Jude Pantry at lunch - will stop in church and light a candle at St. Jude's altar for Ruth. No jokes from me about a Spiritual Bouquet - better than any flower bouquet.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G minus 8:54 and counting.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 920
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that how much time is left on the peace accord on Eastwood, then the sniping begins again? I don't know if I can wait that long. Or will that be your act of kindness, not to pick on defenseless old farts. Excuse me; esteemed old farts, sorry I almost forgot my place.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2284
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happens at 7:05 tonight, 7?
Did you set an incendiary device over on West Eastwood?

Zitro

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the start of the Tigers game, but I'd prefer if it was an IED planted for our friends.

Jcole

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going for more excitement, but a game is good.

Zitro

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An IED may be a little severe even for our esteemed colleagues, maybe just a well placed lady finger would do.

7andkelly

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, of course I was talking about the Tigs game...you silly goose. BTW it's now G minus 5:43 and counting!

West Eastwood...I believe that would be at Schoenherr.

7andkelly

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Eastwood ends west at Mt. Olivet cemetary at Outer Drive with an interruption between Hoover and Dresden at Bessy Playground and what I am guessing was the old OHS complex.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Osborn?
Did anyone else take their Driver's License test at the SoS at Hoover and 7 mile after passing the Driver's training course at Denby? How anyone could let us on the road after only driving "on the range" remains a mystery to me.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw - went to St. Jude at lunch and lit a candle for Ruth. What a beautiful church - and so peaceful when you're the only one inside. Wanted to stay longer - wonderful place to slack for a while

Jcole

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, CFG, I appreciate it and I know she does too.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i for one had drivers training as a class at denby and remember those big chryslers they had. some of us tried to see how fast they could go, but all they did was sputter and cough when we put the pedal to the metal. thought i did real good at the 7 and hoover place, but when the test was over, my parallel parking left the car close to 4 ft from the curb - still passed. for another old memory, anyone remember the field at kelly and moross before the car wash was built? i remember the dandelions had long stems and made good "presents" for my mother

Jcole

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took driver's ed at Denby on the 'range', and I was the worst driver ever. I had no clue what to do when I got on the road. I didn't get my license until I was almost 18 and then it was in Romeo, when my mother took me to get my permit renewed and the Driver's test lady put me in a car and got me a license.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We never put our foot on the gas while on the "range" - it was all idle speed. We made Dad a nervous wreck - and vice versa - thank goodness for a "big sister" neighbor, who had nerves of steel. Got my license on the 1st pass - had to drive away from the place, hang a left at the first right - stop at a bunch of sidestreets and head on back. Didn't even have to attempt a parallel park - even now, I can create a mob scene and should charge a fee for anyone watching me try that maneuver. In Caseville, unbeknownst to me because I was concentrating, a picnic table full of 'fudgies' gathered as I made my attempt and as I triumphantly exited the car - some 15 minutes after first attempt - I was met with a round of applause. Yeah, like that wasn't embarrassing!

Zitro

Post Number: 929
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the instructors name at Denby Mr. Harms? Kind of reminded me of Mr. Bledsoe on Petticoat Junction.

And there's Uncle Joe he's a movin kinda slow at the Junction.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it was Mr. Harms - great memory. He was definitely a slow mover - and NOTHING could shake him. He just shuffled and shook his head.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z-just heard from Bet - our instructor was Mr. Hawk --we were close

Zitro

Post Number: 930
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this were scrabble I'd like to take a challenge on that one. Wonder where we could dig this up? I'll check on the Denby web site.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - a man after my own heart - I'm always challenging her during vacation scrabble - now it's your turn.

Zitro

Post Number: 931
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is somewhere on Dyes but it won't let me click on it. It looks like there was both a Mr. Harms & Mr. Hawk. Could this be a win/win situation? More than I can hope on the Eastwood Thread.
DetroitYES - Uniting the International Family of Communities..
it in 1965 -Mr Harms. He always .. 9:17 am: newport1126_ I took drivers training at Denby.1969 Mr. Hawk. Later .. s training classes had the little tracks

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE a win win - since I always lose the usual scrabble challenge!

Zitro

Post Number: 932
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like there may have been 3 teachers.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 4:15 am:

______________________________ __________
I took it in 1965 - Mr Harms. He always seemed to be angry. Many or all of the Detroit HS driver's training classes had the little tracks, after which you were in a panic the first time you actually got out on the street and had to drive more than 5 mph.
Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:03 pm:

Who else took driver's ed. at Denby? I took it during the winter of 1967-68. The teacher was Mr. Ignasiak. We had 1968 Dodge Coronets...talk about a waste of horsepower, driving in circles around the little track!
Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:17 am:

newport1126_ I took drivers training at Denby.1969 Mr. Hawk. Later went to sec of state on 7mile rd. for test. Had person from sec of state in car for road test. Someone blew a red light right by sec of state, nearly hit them. But I Passed my Road test! Scared the hell out of us.

Zitro

Post Number: 933
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Did you notice in the ND Alumni News that Gary Korte 70' passed away?

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

both harms and hawk were there when i graduated in 1975. i remember their crazy rules - couldn't put your spiral book in the drivers training book - broke the spine, couldn't chew gum, but everyone did in the cars. those guys were quite anal for their days. when bartles & james wine coolers came out in the 80's, the tv commercial reminded me of them.

Jcole

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the class in the winter of 71. Got my permit at 15. We drove some kind of little Gremlin or something. All I remember is that they had a jacked up ass end on them and I could never see out of the back window. It was small and high.

Jcole

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were Plymouth Dusters. That's what we drove. Here's the back end that I hated. I think this is a later model, but it was close enough.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a Duster - powder blue with a black and white racing strip on the side. It was a 72 and I got it from the Chrys. leased dealer lot with the help of my godfather who worked at Chrys. I think it cost me $2100 and only had 7,000 miles on it

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spent the summer of '59 on the range. Got my license on my 16th birthday in 1960 at police headquarters because we were renting a cottage on the Canadian side of Lake St. Clair. That meant my 1st few miles of legal driving were through the tunnel. Ran a red in Windsor because their traffic lights were at the corners not in the middle of the intersection as I was used to. Got stopped & let go with a warning.

I could actually drive pretty well before hitting the range because my folks would take me out to practice driving the '54 Mercury from the time I was about 12. I had great parents!

Jcole

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the guys from your age group were good drivers because they got to drive early on. I know my brother and his buddies drove at 14 or so, and other men I know that lived on farms started out on tractors and other farm stuff. It was also your age group that loved working on cars so much. Now, kids can't work on anything because it's all computerized.