Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Archive through June 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2418
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Magglio didn't miss the game. He had to leave, due to a muscle pull or some such thing.
But, what a fortuitous departure it was...

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 588
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed the beginning of the game, but yeah, looks like Ryan may have saved the Tigers bacon tonight.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on June 28, 2008)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 589
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROLLLAH COASTAH!!

blown save #1

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Cabrera comes through! We're at 500!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miggy!!

Ironically Jones gets the win.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Jones pitches in the ninth inning, he makes a religious man of me every time. Somwhere along that way, I jump up and shout "Jesus Christ!".

Why does he have such a hard time finding the strike zone?

Anyway, great win tonight.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watching the White Sox bull pen earlier today and comparing it to the Tigers makes me think that the Tigers are a lesser team. Todd Jones is a joke...He continues to be the Tigers main 'closer'...that in itself, shows that the Tigers are at best an American League 500 team! Thank you for 'inter-league' play, because the Tigers would still be 10 games under 500.

blksoul_atcha!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4876
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dolsi got the win Flanders...

Todd Jones should get a contract with Rolaids. But instead of him being the relief symbol the commercial, we see Rolaids getting passed out to the fans whenever he comes in.

Seriously though, I thought it classless for the fans to boo him. This is his first BS of the season. While he gives up runners and runs he almost always gets the job done. 14 out 15 ain't bad folks.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I didn't worry about Jones too much. He was 3-0, and 14/14 in save opportunities. He was due to let one go one of these days; even the top closers do.

The best closer in the game right now is Francisco Rodriguez for the Angels. He is 31/33, or a 93.9% save percentage. Todd Jones is 14/15, or a 93.3% save percentage.

Another stat:
F. Rodriguez: 35IP, 20BB
T. Jones: 31IP, 12BB

Give him a break.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me among the people who were booing him. The guy is being paid $7M a year to close out games and and his ERA is now just below 5. Even when he didn't have a blown save his ERA was 3.88. He simply can't strike many batters out with his high 80's fastball and he has to count on batters hitting them where they are.

Off all the relievers with double digit saves Jones has the fewest strikeouts with 12. The second lowest is 17. Most have 30 and above.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell...NO, NO, NO...tonight, He deserved to get booed!....I think the booing was out of frustration. The Tigers were all set to finally reach the 500 mark, that is to get over the metaphoric 'hump'__and then comes 'Jonesy' aka 'rollercoaster', only to give up the lead and return the Tiger faithful to their earlier season frustrations about this team.

Despite Todd Jone's 14 saves, his era is up near 5 runs per game as compared to the white-sox Bobby Jenks at just above 2 runs per game.

Although he as been ok of late...He continues to blow up sporadically. I would feel more comfortable with the Tigers leading and having a true 'shut-down' closer. Todd Jones is not the guy!

blksoul_atcha!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8304
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, quit comparing Jones to Jenks. Is that really fair? Todd Jones is what he is. He's no Rodriguez, Sherill, Papalbon, Nathan, Soria, Rivera, Percival, Wilson, Ryan or Street either. If he's been less than okay, he's still getting the job done for us. He's not perfect by any stretch but he's been steady. I'm not settling for mediocrity here either; I'm being realistic. And if anyone wants to spout stats, he's shaved off .4 runs off of his ERA from last year, had two more victories than last year, and has probably changed his shampoo a few times since last year.

And tell me if there isn't any team out there that doesn't want a shut-down closer?? They don't grow on trees. EVERYone wants one in their bullpen- from the best team to the worst team in the league.

I have no problem booing Jones if he blows the save or flubs up. He's a pro and knows he deserves it. And as a fan, I feel slightly entitled to boo. I'd boo my own mother if she was a pro ball player and blew the lead in the ninth inning.

The Tigers are now winning. They've reached the infamous .500 plateau. They're making it exciting to go down to the ballpark again. I don't care if Jonesy is taking my heart for a cataclysmic spiral and tossing it all over the place; we're winning again. Rather than worry about the Jones descent on the ride, I'd much rather celebrate the Cabrera upswing on this trip. We're doing something we haven't done with any consistency for a long while- it's called winning. Enjoy the ride.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though Jones throws an assortment of crap up there, he's still effective at 40 yrs. old. If you want to blame anybody, blame Dombrowski for not finding anyone better for the last 3 yrs.
Is Zumaya or Rodney ready to be the closer yet? I still don't think so.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7353
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jones has been doing his job just fine this year. How is he the problem? Seems like there are better places to look for improvement than a guy who came into the game with 14/14 saves.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 844
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found it Ironic...that My long Diatribe contained a Maggs not missing a game reference...and a Jones not having a blown save opportunity the night before....and then this happens...

So I will continue to think to myself...and not type anything like say...THE WHITE SOX ARE ON A TEAR! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT CAN STOP THEM...as well as...IF I WERE A TWINS FAN, I WOULD BE HAPPIER THAN A PIG IN SHIT THAT MY TEAM IS THE BEST IN THE AL CENTRAL, AND WILL CONTEND WITH THE WHITE SOX TO THE WIRE!

he he he he

D_mcc...hoping to screw up other teams through the statement of the blatantly obvious

Smogboy

Post Number: 8312
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a nice scrappy little victory today at the ballpark. Kenny Rogers seemed to get roughed up a little bit early but came back with his crafty stuff again. And seeing him take part in two double plays was amazing to see; that stretch off of the 1B bag was a gem!

I'm not sure what it was but at no point did I think our team was going to lose this game despite being down by one for the longest time. Maybe they're instilling confidence in me as well but there was just something that spoke to me in saying we were going to come back and win this thing.

And is it me or does Cabrera really seem to be smacking the ball harder than he had earlier on in the season? I'm not so much concerned about him going yard but he sure seems to be seeing the ball better and making solid contact with it. It's nice to see him trying to pick up that slack now that Maggs is on the shelf.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8313
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's also time to cheer on the hapless Cubs tonight as they take on the White Sox too. This very moment we're only 4.5 games out of first place. So if Buehrle takes the gaspipe on the mound for the Sox and gets chased by hot Cubbie bats, we can move that much closer.

401don

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera is definitely settling in. He's not swinging at nearly as many bad pitches.
Not saying lack of rest caused Maggs injury, but how come Leyland preaches the importance of resting everybody, yet Maggs, with a history of injuries, was never given a day off all season.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 606
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willis' first rehab stint at A Lakeland:

2 IP 1R 1H 3BB

Game went 20 innings Lakeland won 3-2

Smogboy

Post Number: 8318
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

History of injuries with Magglio? Outside of his one knee injury in Chicago during the 2004/ 2005 season, he's been a workhorse and a stud. He played 157 games last year, 155 games in 2006 and has for his career averaged well over 150+ games a season.

It just might come down to him wanting to play a lot. He just might go to the skipper and say "I'm fine to go" and who wouldn't want him in the line-up every game?

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am happy to see the young eskimo get he first big league hit and win a big league game for us.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stats, stats, stats. Maybe I'm old school. Too bad. Play the game without all the hype (by the media) as every major sport was addressed many years ago. My transiter radio and parents B/W TV provided was a special event. This applies to all of modern day sports. More later!

401don

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, I stand corrected re: Maggs injury history. I really thought he had other problems besides the knee in the past. Still, I think any player over 30 should get a day off (or at least DH) once every 10 days or so. Maggs doesn't ever seem to need the mental day off because his approach to the plate is so good he rarely slumps.
I love how the "oblique" is the new injury dejeur. From what I've read, it's just another term for any muscle pull in the upper body, side, rib cage area, etc.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beg to differ on Mag's. In 2005 he strained an abdominal muscle during the first week of the season and subsequently spent the next three months on the disabled list, as the strain turned out to be a hernia.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With MLB.tv being the only way I get to watch these games, today I'm watching the FSN North broadcast. After Cabrera's error at first, the announcers said that he has been "awful" at 1st since the switch. Geez, I don't know if I'd go that far.

On another note, I can't stand this MLB.tv thing. They've figured out how to make me watch commercials, despite paying $19.95 a month for the privilege...and worst of all, I have to watch commercials FOR MLB.TV...yes, you heard it right, during every commercial break, I have to watch commercials for the product that I must already be paying for in order to see the commercials at all. Ridiculous.

(Message edited by focusonthed on June 30, 2008)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. MLB.tv? Huh. Well, thanks for the heads-up, I will make sure to avoid that one too. Just listening to the games on the radio, oddly enough, I have found is just purely entertaining and you learn so much more. Funny thing is, listening to the radio broadcast makes you appreciate even more seeing the game. But that's not what I came here for.

Twins are FINALLY going to their bullpen, having just pulled ahead to a 4-1 lead. I swear, if the Tigers can break even with these guys, I'll breath more easily. Welcome back - with a vengeance - to the American League Central.

Interleauge-play goes wayyyyyy too many games, but it helped the effort... and helped the Twins... and helped the ChiSox... didn't help the Indians very well, but did help Seattle.

What a strange arrangement MLB has become. And maybe could somebody explain what a "hip flexer" injury is? 4-2 now... hmmm... and back to the bullpen for the Twins.

(Message edited by ggores on June 30, 2008)

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The function of the Iliopsoas is hip flexion, which means bringing the thigh up towards the abdomen."

Hip flexors are involved when moving the leg forward or up. It's in your upper anterior (front) thigh.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things are looking up. Joyce with a pinch-hit RBI triple and Granderson brings him home with a single. 5-4 now.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all up to the bullpen now. In JONES I trust!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 615
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...seems like the Tigers can do no wrong right now...even when they do...LOL!!

Did some sort of curse get lifted from the team after April and May?

..or did Lady Luck decide to smile on them for the month of June?